• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A longer Stalker?

Wreck

Par Member
Hey guys, I've been working for a couple years to lock down my bag (though you're never truly finished). I have recently settled on PDs to handle pretty much any controlled drive situation b/c they are so versatile. I'm now looking for something for pure distance. I can't handle anything speed 13...and I'm not really fond of heavy fade on the end of a flight path. I love the flight path of my Stalkers and would really like to find something that flies similarly but faster and longer since it already fits my fairway slot.

I don't have any disc shops around (except for Dick's, which is all Innova) and don't really have a lot of friends that play, so I can't try other stuff that way. Before I pull the trigger and start making purchases, I'm curious what you guys think will fly similar to a Stalker at speed 11-12?

I know nothing will be exact...just close. Discs I've been considering:

-Astra
-Wraith
-Teedevil
-Sword
-Flow
...or wait for the Krait (It sounds like it might be what I'm looking for).

I'm not really sure what disc the closest to a longer stalker, I've never thrown one. But, I'm gunna suggest you try out a sword. It is an awesome disc. It flies very similar to my teebird except it will flip up a bit sooner in it's wear pattern. I've had some of my longest drives ever with it, dead straight and not half bad in the wind.

Wraith, Flow, or Surge SS are all good options.

Keep in mind that there's no such thing as a "longer" Stalker. What you're really looking for is a "faster" Stalker. That means to get the greater distance potential, you have to be able to throw it with more power.

Wraith, Flow, or Surge SS are all good options.

Keep in mind that there's no such thing as a "longer" Stalker. What you're really looking for is a "faster" Stalker. That means to get the greater distance potential, you have to be able to throw it with more power.

Right you are Brad...forgive the poorly worded heading.

You are already throwin PDs... so stick with those till you can throw the faster discs. What are your distances anyway?

As long as I release it well, without pushing the nose up, my Nuke SS flies remarkably straight to around 300' or more with very little fade at the end. I'd recommend giving one a try in a lighter weight.

The wider the rim, the more difficult it is to eliminate fade at the end of your disc's flight. The path of the surge SS you're describing is how nearly all distance drivers fly. They don't fly stable>neutral like a Stalker, they fly either understable or overstable. You have to control the hyzer angle, speed/turn, and height of your shots to get approximately straight flights.

The Stalker is essentially a super fast mid-range, not a distance driver. It's got a wide diameter and a big ol' bead, which are two traits that distance drivers just don't have, and as such, they don't fly like Stalkers.

I use a broken in Wraith or Teebird for long straight shots, but the PD is also great for this, and I'm sure many others would qualify, but you often have to hyzer flip them.

The wider the rim, the more difficult it is to eliminate fade at the end of your disc's flight. The path of the surge SS you're describing is how nearly all distance drivers fly. They don't fly stable>neutral like a Stalker, they fly either understable or overstable. You have to control the hyzer angle, speed/turn, and height of your shots to get approximately straight flights.

The Stalker is essentially a super fast mid-range, not a distance driver. It's got a wide diameter and a big ol' bead, which are two traits that distance drivers just don't have, and as such, they don't fly like Stalkers.

I use a broken in Wraith or Teebird for long straight shots, but the PD is also great for this, and I'm sure many others would qualify, but you often have to hyzer flip them.
This guy knows what he's talking about. :clap:
I used the Stalker as my main fairway for a long time. Then I got a River. I could get the Stalker out to around 350' with good control. The River flies slower and has a different flight path than the Stalker, but for me it flies a whole lot farther. About 50-60' on average. Should be noted that the Rivers I throw are all 177g.

What Josh said and for schlitz and giggles I'll add a super, beat to death Destroyer to the pile of suggestions.

The "closest" thing you are looking for is a Surge SS. Love this disc, and I find it to be similar in flight characteristics to my Stalkers (given that one is a driver and one is a fairway). It's definately worth a try. I prefer a Z 172g as I can throw it at different speeds and get the same type of lines that I can generally expect from a stalker. Good luck

I would suggest an SL in lighter weights, an OLS, astra/archon, and based on the description, the krait

Yeah keep in mind what Josh said because he's right on...but here's my thoughts:

A stalker is a disc with little right-to-left-play (or vice versa) in its ideal flight path. Now, depending on your arm many discs could theoretically fit this description, and add a few more if you have a consistent hyzer flip. Distance drivers categorically want to work more space laterally than fairway drivers but I'd start with an Orc or SL and see how that works from there (use flight charts to step up or down in stability until you find what works best for you).

SL or eagle fit the bill for similiar flight to stalker but longer

I gonna suggest a tl or eagle as well but i think he meant "also longer than my pd"

Otherwise an EL, TL,FD, eagle x etc may overlap when used with a mid(s) but maybe i assume too much

Champ or Star Valkyrie is faster/longer but with a different flight. It needs a slight hyzer release to flip flat, glide really straight and very little fade to overstable at the very end. Great disc for ultimately straight shots.

Stalker-L

I was once in your shoes asking the very same question about a Buzzz:

"I love my Buzzz, but what can I throw that goes longer with the same flight path?" Answer: Stalker!

So, now what flies longer than a Stalker with the same flight path? Not much.

The fact is that more distance requires a different flight path. You need a combination of turn and fade to achieve maximum distance (think about the giant anhyzers pros throw for distance with just a bit of fade at the end).

The closest I have found is the Westside Sword. It is like a fast TeeBird that goes straight forever, but you will still need to give it SOME anhyzer to achieve maximum distance. A hyzer flipped valkyrie also works well, though it will fade harder than a Stalker.