• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Replace the Champ Banshee

AndyJB

Big Country
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Well, I've sorted through quite a few threads, and found bits and pieces here and there, but figured I'd ask so we can at least start a compendium.

The Innova Banshee hasn't been made in anything but DX for quite some time now, so it's officially time to look elsewhere. I'm looking for something in that 6-7 speed range that has great HSS and that piercing, forward fade at the end...the classic Banshee flight. I do currently bag an Infinte Discs Scepter, but it is way longer than my Banshees. I have tried DX Banshees and they have the flight and feel, but they just don't last and really don't beat in to anything I personally use.

I use Banshees for BDHs under about 320 feet, forehands under 275, and other low-speed utility stuff.

Help and suggestions appreciated!

Give this thread a go.. personally I use a tesla for that role but it's probably too long, a resistor is probably right. I havent thrown a banshee in over a decade

I threw Champ Banshees for about a year. Because they're so hard to get and I'm not a big fan of the inside rim I dropped them.

The two most similar discs I've thrown were a MVP Glow Resistor and a Latitude 64 Royal Glory. I currently bag the Glory and I think the flight is probably more similar, but I don't know how it beats in as I've only had it for about 5-6 weeks.

The Glow Resistor was more overstable and probably shorter, but I've heard that Neutron ones are not as overstable and maybe more Banshee like. They've got an inside rim very similar to a Banshee, but are shallower and much flatter.

The two most similar discs I've thrown were a MVP Glow Resistor and a Latitude 64 Royal Glory. I currently bag the Glory and I think the flight is probably more similar, but I don't know how it beats in as I've only had it for about 5-6 weeks.

The Glow Resistor was more overstable and probably shorter, but I've heard that Neutron ones are not as overstable and maybe more Banshee like.
I was so psyched when the Resistor came out because I thought it would be a Banshee replacement in Gyro. But yeah, it doesn't much fly like a Banshee, even the Neutron. The rim of the Banshee is what most people hate and that's the part I like hahaha!

I'm going to have to pick up a Glory. How is the rim on the Glory? I know it's faster than a Banshee, but still quite a bit slower than my Scepter, so that's pretty ideal

Millennium has some exp-x's up on their website. They either are a straight up banshee or have a banshee top.

I've never tried on myself, but throwaenvy's suggestion of th resistor sounds like an in production option.

They're both mildly domey, both pretty blunt nosed with a similarly concave wing. I don't have accurate calipers on me but I'm pretty sure the rim width is almost exactly the same, roughly 17.5mm.

The inside rim is flatter on the Glory, not as slanted as the Banshee and it might be just a hair deeper than the Banshee, but it's very close.

Right now my Glory is probably more overstable than my last Banshee, but the Banshee has seen more wear and it's only 171g whereas the Glory is 176g.

I also really like the Royal Grand plastic, reminds me of a slightly gummy/grippy Star, but I have little experience with how it beats in, though I've heard it's more durable than Opto/Lucid and Gold/Fuzion.

I've thrown a Swirly S-Blend and an I-Blend Scepter before and those are definitely markedly faster discs. I could definitely get more distance with them and they would also skip more. They were fine discs but I wanted something more in line with my other fairways (mostly 7-8 speeds).

One thing to note is that our local Trilogy Stan swears that pink Royal Grand discs fly more understable than blue ones, and the ones I've thrown were blue.

20230719_214033.jpg20230719_213959.jpg

I do not recall you guys posting any WANTED listings for Champion Banshees in the Marketplace, I have some ready to go.

I do not recall you guys posting any WANTED listings for Champion Banshees in the Marketplace, I have some ready to go.
ZERO shade to you, I'm sure you are totally trustworthy, but I got burned in the Marketplace a few too many times years ago haha.

Haven't thrown the Banshee since the Resistor released around 10 years ago, but I remember them being pretty comparable. What are you looking for this disc to do differently than a Resistor? Maybe I can think of something based on your answer.

Haven't thrown the Banshee since the Resistor released around 10 years ago, but I remember them being pretty comparable. What are you looking for this disc to do differently than a Resistor? Maybe I can think of something based on your answer.
My main issue with the Resistor is the way it felt for forehand. I started playing casually way back in 1990, and the Banshee is the disc that taught me to forehand (which, looking back on it, was a mistake since I still do not have a smooth forehand thanks to decades of relying on overstable discs.) I also found that the Resistor was shorter than my Banshee, and, well, that's what my Deflector is for.

Backhanded with the Resistor felt good in a power grip and flew similar to Banshees, but again, for me, shorter.

I turn 40 next month so I'm not exactly crushing it with distance (fastest I throw is a Roman) so I might be making a mountain out of a molehill here with too much overlap anyway.

Millennium has some exp-x's up on their website. They either are a straight up banshee or have a banshee top.

I've never tried on myself, but throwaenvy's suggestion of th resistor sounds like an in production option.
Banshee top, Eagle-x bottom I think. Not really a utility meathook for long if you have decent arm speed.

You can still get champ Whippet x's from the factory store. Slower but plenty of beef.

You can still get champ Whippet x's from the factory store. Slower but plenty of beef.
Way slower, at least in my limited experience with it. I bounced between that and the Viper for awhile some years back and never clicked with either. Definitely a good suggestion though!

i would go with either exp or upgrade and just roll with a fb (champ for hella os or star for that os glide)

i would go with either exp or upgrade and just roll with a fb (champ for hella os or star for that os glide)
FB is too long/fast; I have that slot down with a Scepter. I don't throw 400 feet like most people around here, so the Scepter is my long-distance beef, and the Firebird is right in that same wheelhouse.

I have a Champion Banshee and the "old" Neutron Resistor is pretty close to it. There seemed to have been a run of more mellow Resistors that were a lot straighter released that confused things. The newer glow Resistors seem to have got the beef back. Resistors felt nicer in the hand to me than Banshee's, and then along came the Terra ...

Latest posts