• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] A putter that feels like a Zone, but flies straight?

dwalk77

Par Member
I've come to realize how important it is for a disc to feel good in my hand before I even throw it. For putter upshots, I like to use a low profile disc with pinch grip. I really like how the Zone and Ringer GT feel in my hands, but I have yet to find a straight/neutral putter that feels the same way.

I've tried the Discmania Logic and the Gateway Shaman, and although they're close, I have a harder time pinching my thumb and forefinger with them.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I haven't found anything that has the same feel but I use an Envy in the straight putter slot. At least it's shallow and flat so it has something in common with a Zone.

Beat up zone?

Infinite tomb has been working pretty well for low straight putter lines.

Zone fits in my hand the same way a Spider does. YMMV.

Depends on your style. If you want to be able to jam it like a zone but finish straight the envy or breaker are great choices.
If you want a little more touch the Viking Knife or Sensei may feel more like a zone, but not as HSS as a breaker or envy. Flights closer to a stable shaman.

Depends on your style. If you want to be able to jam it like a zone but finish straight the envy or breaker are great choices.
If you want a little more touch the Viking Knife or Sensei may feel more like a zone, but not as HSS as a breaker or envy. Flights closer to a stable shaman.

I was just throwing a 9 hole. The Sensei I have is base, soft, and not fresh, but not used a ton. It flies straight, straight, straight. Holds Hyzer and Anny all the way. Better plastic might be the ticket.

But, honestly, you have zero excuse not to buy an Envy. None.

I was just throwing a 9 hole. The Sensei I have is base, soft, and not fresh, but not used a ton. It flies straight, straight, straight. Holds Hyzer and Anny all the way. Better plastic might be the ticket.

But, honestly, you have zero excuse not to buy an Envy. None.

You can see what's in my bag.

The sensei was a pleasant surprise. Fresh they hold lines very well and can handle a bit of power. Broken in they fly so straight and turn so gently. They will give you more feedback on your release angle than a lot of discs as well

Envy is the closest, if you have a slower arm Pure or Proxy are in the ballpark.

You can see what's in my bag.

The sensei was a pleasant surprise. Fresh they hold lines very well and can handle a bit of power. Broken in they fly so straight and turn so gently. They will give you more feedback on your release angle than a lot of discs as well

Which plastic? I have a little 9 disc bag I take to work. I throw random discs in there in case I have a lunch hour near a field or a course. I picked up that Sensei in the Christmas box and have been really enjoying it. In the mini bag, it took the place of the Envy. I can't say I'd ever buy a Sensei outright because I'd just buy another Envy first. Sensei is a fantastic disc though. If I were forced to go one-brand, it'd be Discmania and the Sensei would be in my bag.

Which plastic? I have a little 9 disc bag I take to work. I throw random discs in there in case I have a lunch hour near a field or a course. I picked up that Sensei in the Christmas box and have been really enjoying it. In the mini bag, it took the place of the Envy. I can't say I'd ever buy a Sensei outright because I'd just buy another Envy first. Sensei is a fantastic disc though. If I were forced to go one-brand, it'd be Discmania and the Sensei would be in my bag.

I got a Sensei last year in a tournament. Haven't even tried tossing it around. Kind of wanted to but there are just too many putters that I enjoy and didn't want to complicate things if I happened to like it.

I got a Sensei last year in a tournament. Haven't even tried tossing it around. Kind of wanted to but there are just too many putters that I enjoy and didn't want to complicate things if I happened to like it.

Yep. Complicated. I throw too many discs because I like them.

Putter Line Zone is great. It starts off like 0/2 but you can beat the fade out and it's like 0/1 then like -.5/.5.

Latest posts