• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A quandary into the realm of the overstable control driver

flatties all day

i have the luxury of living kinda close to gggt so if i like a certain disc i can usually get a handful or a sleeve of same ish run (if i want but i rarely want but sometimes do)

it becomes such a chore and time and money type scavenger hunt and specially with the dg community throwing relatively you cant count on others findings with a certain disc

or just settle for "good enough"

I really miss going to MSP more often. Used to go in there 3-4 times per year but not as much now.

My advice would be to find some readily-available, non-collectors-edition Firebirds, buy a few, and use them until you break the feeling that you need a particular run. If you need an absolutely ridiculously overstable Firebird for forehand rollers, or whatever, by all means, find one, but you don't need to go hunting for rare ones or pay a premium for those. Your normal, run of the mill champ FB will be just fine for 98% of shots.
If you are turning over ANY firebird (other than a DX one) to the point that it doesn't fight back, you may want to invest a little time in forehanding some neutral discs for a while to dial in your technique.

Turning it over isn't a problem, as you said to turn over almost any Firebird with good form is unlikely. It's just a feel and flight path that I'm most used to. If I have a 360 foot shot and an open FH line I throw my FAFs at 80% 25-30 feet left of the target and they skip right up to it.

The same shot at a current run I have to aim just a tad left, watch it turn up and glide, maybe skip? Maybe not so much, and if I give it too much will end up 40 ft long.

It's essentially learning a new disc.

If I could throw my FAFs 360 my life would be pretty good. I use production firebirds for that shot (forehand). The current production ones are the glidiest firebirds I've thrown. Like 9|4|0|4. Definitely can get a tad of flip up with slight hyzer.

I'm tellling ya, you can find some star flatties pretty easy that flight a lot like typical flatties, I just assume they'll beat in. Unlike the champions I have, which seem to not beat in at all. Maybe get a little bit of added glide after a heavy season.

Latest posts