• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thatdirtykid 2023 bag

thatdirtykid

* Ace Member *
Going into 2023 I am swinging back to a little minimal though this is still a lot. However I am very happy with what I have going on. I tend to change my bag more often than I practice hygiene, but it would take a bit to convince me to change much now. This is still a lot of molds, and discs. I could functions with less, but frisbees flying is why this game is so damn fun.

TLDR Version. Core discs in bold, that I would carry for a competitive round I want to pack light regardless of the course. (tags, doubles ect). Generally I carry them all for tourneys (give or take a few for backups/wind/course), or carry them all for practice throwing multiples. Explanations below.

Wizards (putting)
Polecat (beat to death long putter, uber flippy approach)
Scale
K2 Berg

Stego
Envy
Proxy

Justice
Gila x2
Iguana
Origin

Komodo
Tyrant
Crave

Predator x2
Chameleon x2

Spirit
Hurricanex2
Wave

If you are really bored here is why those are in my bag.

Putting

Wizards: which is what I started last year, and the majority of years with. I have done a bunch of work on the putt, and was putting Berg again for speed control. And Serpents for the same reason, while testing a more traditional putting feel again.
Will still putt a beat polecat for long stand still bids I want to go straight at it.

Approach

"proto blend" Scale: This mold has been in and out a while. I don't like BH the berg, and I dont seem to like powering down Envys.

K2 Berg: My game is built around my FH approach with this disc. I like facing the target and the minimal movement of a simple FH. Berg is stable enough and has great speed control. Been bagging 7 years...

RFF Tarpit Stego: Because when you need it it better be there. RFF Tarpit cause I dont want him running away when we play the mountians.

Driving Putters

Neutron Envy: Been bagging 3 electrons for the last year or so. My glow proxy in my night bag kinda impressed me. So I am starting this year with less discs in the bag. It thinks its a midrange and I like it. Sometimes I wish it didn't though

Neutron Proxy: Messing with it to see if I can cover my beat in electrons slots. Does not late finish right like my beat electron. We will see.

Midrange

Justice: This is one that I threw for glow last season with an LED on it. I have gone back and forth between demon and gila. Justice-Gila covers so much more, except straight forehands longer than the berg, which my flat demon was better. I am working on the Envy to cover that role.

Amber Gila: Almost puts the justice on windy day only duty. Main hyzer approach and OS mid dutys. Wide open shot with any breeze I will likely throw this over an Envy.

Amor Gila: This one is a flatter run that flys a touch faster for me. After a few years of beating on it now it can do fresh stable buzzz stuff well. I use this for my longer midrange shots that have to finish left.

Armor Iguana: This disc is the reason the Gila has completely booted the demon. They just are such a good pair. This disc is a baby chameleon. I can make it do so much. It's flippy but not touchy. It flexes, it holds, it goes far, it powers down... It makes me want to mix up my bag more to give it even more room to work. Envy and Proxy, you are kinda on notice... Wizards may start flying again in your place... you distance isn't needed so much anymore

Origin: When I need to finish right. This was a surprise addition last year. I throw it as well as I used to throw comets, and it is much better at late right finishing shots. I just need to learn it, cause damn it goes far.

Fairways

Armor Komodo: This is my beefcake utility. I am throwing this one for wind, shorter spikes, hopping skips. It doesn't go far, and thats why its good.

Armor Tyrant: Kinda a security blanket. I have almost always had a teebird/instinct type disc in the bag. The tyrant was always better, but I only had 1 and the original ones are no longer ... Well I recently came across a few more someone had stock piled. I use em when I want to go straight a good ways, I cannot risk turn and it has to come back.

Neutron Crave: Fairly beat in. Its for everything that finishes right. Hyzerflips that turn and go right, rollers that go right. Big flat to anny shots that finish right. I don't throw it a ton but this disc in conjunction with the iguana is why I surprisingly don't miss the buzzz, and have so many more options on shot shapes.

Control Drivers

Amber Chameleon: Flippy, but predictable shots. Can shape so much. I love throwing it hard with a bit of hyzer. It flips up, tips gently right and glides for days.

Nylon Armor Chameleon: Firm comfortable feeling. Stable. Forehand or Backhand I throw it for hyzers, hyzer flips, flex shots. If the basket is far but within 400' I am probably throwing this disc. If its relatively calm, and I could have only one driver this would absolutely be it.

Esp Pred: Beat For the OS side of Nylon Chameleon stuff. Wind, controlled spike hyzers. Preds have nice glide for how stable they are, which is great at 5000'+. The komodo is there if I am afraid the preds will glide too much.

Z Pred: Overhands, wind, very spiky hyzers. Security blanket disc. these have been in my bag almost all 18 years I have been playing. I don't throw them as far as I once did, which allows me to lean on my stable chameleon and a touch more hyzer for a lot of stuff that used to be pred land when I only carried 4 driver molds...

Distance Drivers

EP Spirit: Flys like my old favorite spirits. I only have one. Diamond Superglow or an old one off the stack are good replacements. Beefy. Flare Skips. Any scale of wind. Flys shockingly far. (new D and HD spirits have been a bit of a grab bag, but most are closer to fast tilts than these)

SP Hurricane: Max D hyzers, light winds. At 5000' it flys much like a stable destroyer (maybe not calvin beefcake) would at sea level.

PL Hurricane: 2020 Shasta. these are gummy and flippier fresh. My ideal stability for controlled max D since my injury. Hyzerflips into a slight track right when they are fresh. Also my main FH distance disc.

CN Wave: Hyzerflips to max D crusing right. tailwinds. Forehand distance. Rollers.

I may throw a beat xl or something in for flippier rollers on some courses.

I don't use my max D drivers a ton normally, but do find myself using them a bit in tourney golf.

I would love to throw Ballista Pros instead of hurricanes again, although they fly great my release has not been consistent enough since my injury. If I can figure that out, they do fly a solid 25-30 past my hurricanes.

Putting Putters are on trial, but the wizards have tended to treat me best over the years. I think we are happy to be together again.

Links to old ITB for my own future reference.

2020 post injury
2019, 2019 main thread, 2019 looking for new driver, Also 2019... i was disc and life confused
2014/15
2012/14
2010, 2010 Reply, more 2010, 2010 start
Before that we didnt have a special topic for em and I cant find em :doh:

Missed the Vitals this time around copy pasta-ed from one of the links.

Vitals:

Years playing/experience:
Started in fall of 05, was playing seriously and competitive in MA1 by the 2006 season.

Throwing Style:
RHBH dominant. Improving FH. Big thumber. FH dominant for approach. My game is focused a lot around driving putters, midrange drives and control drives. While I am not crushing by todays standards, I still am more comfortable with a slower disc than most the guys I play with in MPO

Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:

Backhand
Putters: 275-315 Midrange: 325-375 Drivers: 350-475
Forehand
Putters: 200-250 Midrange: 225-275 Drivers: 250-325

Played some catch with a glitch a few days back. I may mess with it in the polecat spot, I have been wanting to eliminate the last of the innova in the bag. Its not a direct replacement, but does the tight anny putts and glidey runs that I mainly use the polecat for. It would be a learning curve to replace my thrashed polecat that I can putt 70'ers like they are 30'ers, glitch doesnt have to be putt harder, but it does need to be putt flat, or the angle you want it on while the polecat flips up on slight hyzer.
The glitch has potential to be more accurate/consistent, though if you are off it will let you know.

My last round with my old favorite neutron envy was not great. I may lean more on the proxy or ditch the proxy and just throw electron envys again. Or, the wizards may just get put back in. Will wait for clear fairways and warm weather before I make any big decisions.

The more I have played this winter the more I feel there's room for craves and chameleon. I also am throwing the komodo well, covering some justice stuff and some pred stuff. Not enough overlap to be concerned yet.

Learning and trusting my Iguana more, I have been messing with the flippy mid spot a little again. I have a good relatively stable mystic that I am enjoying. It goes a little further than my beat electron envy (which is largely being covered by the proxy), and can travel left to right further since it starts its flip and turn earlier than the envy.

I am also enjoying pairing the iguana with one of my ESP Swirly Glow MJ comets (little flippier than other MJ runs). I threw comets for years and years, so it slotted right back in well. Gila-Iguana-Comet could be an amazing combo alone. You may say the Gila, Gila, Gila, Iguana, Comet, Mystic I have bagged the last week is too much. It is, but I love em all. (you could take out every other one and I would be fine)

Its likely for the LOLs, but I had a buddy surprise me with a Paradox the other day. Half cause I have my really flippy envy that I am curious if my old mystic can cover those lines, and I was just joking about flippy mids. Thing feels silly good (I like neutron). I like throwing putter rollers and other shots to make up for my deficiencies. This could find a use in my bag. D-FD and Putter rollers covered with one disc? I have to wait for the snow to melt to find out

regarding your predators - the one you've had forever, do you worry about losing/breaking it? I have one that I hesitate bagging normally because it's so old (aced in 2011 with it, and it was seasoned already by then) and it's the last of the really old flatter z run that I loved. I've never broken a z plastic disc but I would rue the day I can't use that one anymore.

regarding your predators - the one you've had forever, do you worry about losing/breaking it? I have one that I hesitate bagging normally because it's so old (aced in 2011 with it, and it was seasoned already by then) and it's the last of the really old flatter z run that I loved. I've never broken a z plastic disc but I would rue the day I can't use that one anymore.

I have a few backups, and some Anax that fly similarly if the need arises.

My glow bag evolved a little throughout the glow season. It was fun to have a dedicated night bag for league this year.
Typically I have carried 6 or 7 discs total for glow season, this was maybe too much. I am curious to whether I should treat my day bag more like this as well...

Super Glow Spirit
Glow War Bird
Glow Wave

Glow Stal (less action now that I have the mad cat)
Glow Mad Cat
Glow Lift
Glow Mockingbird

Glow Gila
Glow Buzzz (maybe too beefy for being my straight mid. Maybe ad a Lizottle for next year)

Glow Stego
Glow Proxy (covers all putter driving well)
K2 Glow Berg ($$$ flight and value...)

SSSS Wizard Putting (its cold, soft is nice)

Main Bag update:

Proxy is my more used driving putter in the day bag as well now. It powers down and up well. My old Neutron Envy is more fore FH and windy straight approaches. My beat electron Envy still used for late flip drives.

I added a 2022 Marwede Hurricane to the bag, apparently my old SP was breaking in cause it fits right between my Marwede and Shasta.

Wave is breaking in enough its more smooth hyzerflip and rollers now.

I have a fresh crave in the bag as well. Its taking a bit of Tyrant shots so I put a fresh tyrant in.

Chameleons are still my workhorses. Nylon Armor is one of the most indestructible plastics I have thrown.

Putting 4S wizards still, but its warming up and I will likely switch to my $$$ pair soon.

I have been bagging a comet instead of the origin again. Still torn. I love both, comet is like the iguana without any fade, and the origin breaks right so easily.
Also toying with mystics and a paradox to replace my beat envy and origin. The crave covers long origin shots, so a shorter flippy mid makes sense, and gives room to the comet which I am very comfortable with.

I never was throwing the justice. It would take a specific shot and a lot of wind to not throw the Gila, and often I would throw a komodo anyways. The justice basically just became a FH skip mid. I have a puddle top badger I want to mess with cause I have it. It feels more beefy than the justice even.

Update. Played first tags, combination of shorter courses and lack of local diversity I really am not throwing that many of my discs. I am going to trim down to the core bag for most local stuff, occasionally rotating in others to keep them familiar for when I do get out of town or if I expect a windy day.

I am carrying:

Wizard: SS (or two if I can fit em) for putting
Proxy: Neutron Soft for most throwing
Envy: Beat electron for flippy throwing

Iguana: for majority of midrange stuff
Gila: for overstable mid stuff

Crave: For most fairway stuff
Tyrant: For most fairway stuff that goes left at the end
Chameleon: Armor for shaped fairway stuff, powered up for flippy distance stuff
Predator: OS Fairway/Utility stuff

Hurricane: Distance shots

The above bag has been great for casual/practice. The single hurricane struggles in the wind (its a broken in SP). I am toying with a BP again for in between the Canes and Spirit... My stable ones handle more wind and go further than my beefier hurricanes. I can probably cover more with Wave, Hurricane, Ballista Pro, Spirit than I can with Wave, 3 canes and a spirit.

Tourney this weekend. 2 rounds at Pessimist DGC. Decent variety, and longer than I usually play. Cold and some wind likely probably rocking the cart with a big overlapping bag of discs I am enjoying currently and old favorites. This may be the first tourney I have played in 18 years at this course that I won't have a buzzz in the bag for...

Spirit
Ballista Pro
Hurricane x2

Wave

Komodo
Pred
Tyrant
Chameleon x2
Crave x2

Vortex

Gila x2
Iguana
Comet

Paradox

Stego
Scale
Proxy
Berg
Serpent

Wizards and a Polecat for putting.

kinda a lot of discs, but this is full tourney mode. The discs that are not bold are fairly situational use, but I will be very happy they are there if I need them.

........This may be the first tourney I have played in 18 years at this course that I won't have a buzzz in the bag for...

Spirit
Ballista Pro
Hurricane x2
Wave

Komodo
Pred 2x
Carnivore
Tyrant
Chameleon x2
Crave x2
Vortex

Gila x2
Iguana
Comet
Paradox

Stego
Scale
Proxy
Berg
Serpent

Wizards and a Polecat for putting.

kinda a lot of discs, but this is full tourney mode. The discs that are not bold are fairly situational use, but I will be very happy they are there if I need them.

Didn't miss the buzzz. It was windy and the Iguana is better tailwind than a buzzz.

I ended up taking the polecat out and adding a Devilhawk cause the wind. Kinda was nice to have something between the scale and stego to match some green angles in the wind.

Added a 2nd pred to basically act as my stable chameleon into headwinds. I am glad I did.

Also put the carnivore in, I have loved it in wind field work. It performed great. Between the Spirit and Hurricanes. Kinda took pred lines where the pred wouldnt push far enough into the wind.

Vortex in the tailwind was fun. Didn't throw the Paradox.

Played meh, putted meh. Burnt out before the end of both rounds. Threw some great shots, just not consistent.

Going into a month without competitive golf I need to simplify things and regain some confidence in finding my release point. I will be dropping the D drivers for a few weeks.

At most I will be carrying:

2x Preds
2x Chameleon
1x Tyrant
2x Crave

2x Gila
1x Iguana
1x Paradox

1x Proxy

1x Stego
1x Scale
1x Serpent

2x Wizards for putting

Inner core is so good low power or powered up. I am happy with one of my straighter Scales and the Inner core fore all putter throws right now. Maybe will toss the armor serpent back in for an in between flight.
Carnivore also has kinda been getting used since it was still in the side pocket from the windy tourney. It's so good FH

Captains Log 4/19:
Threw a breezy round on a long golf course yesterday. Lots of 100-150' approaches due to "par 3.5" kind of holes. NO BERG in the bag still. Took it out so I stop relying solely on FH approach in situations my backhand used to excel at, since I find myself less confident in the BH approach in winds/situations it would make more sense these days.

I was approaching with: S Devilhawk, "Proto" plastic Scale and an Armor Serpent. Its interesting changing a part of my game that has been extremely solid. I see potential for this being a step back; two steps forward opportunity.

Armor Serpent: When this batch of armor serps came out I tested them against the berg and found them very very similar, maybe the serp carries 10' further on the harder forehands. I prefer the berg grip slightly over the Serpend forehand, but vastly prefer the serpent backhand. The serpent did wonderfully on my typical flat to flat landing FH approach. Slight nose up and give it a baby run type of shot.

Scale: The softer base plastic offers a little more glide than most scales as well as the armor serpent. All the shots I found using this one I could probably have thrown with the serpent, but I prefer it even more backhand. I may have to decide between serps/scales for a lot of approach.

Devilhawk: Obviously more OS than a berg or the others. A beefier scale could probably do a lot of what I was using the devilhawk for but would get pushed around in the wind more. I would love a softer plastic, though the stiff and OS means I can play some skip in my approach that I have not used much in a LONG time.
The Devilhawk does open up a larger range of options and will likely stay in the bag regardless of what else I approach with. (it also was stealing some stego use in the wind.

To muck things up more, while I was at the course my new box of tarpit serpents and scales showed up. **** these feel good. The Tarpit Scale is puddle top and feels great FH and BH. I have yet to test them. I have been thinking tarpit serpents would be my ideal approach disc a while, but they will have to fight this Scale.

Nearly another week has gone by. I don't miss my proxy. Iguana covers a bit of what I was doing with the proxy and the inner core covers all that proxy stuff as well as the flippy envy stuff. It also powers down for approach stuff well.
New batch of Serpents and Scales also have been amazing. The tar pit scale feels even better than the proto blend, and came out puddle topped. That's amazing for the feel.

I haven't logged how I am feeling about the carnivores much in this thread yet. In testing I loved them for wind. I tossed one of em in the bag for a windy round a month or so back and found myself reaching for it more and more regardless of wind. I may call myself on this blasphemy later but since I was already bagging the Komodo for the very OS (CryZsparkle pred stuff) and the tyrant for shorter OS stuff. The carnivore has kinda taken some of that longer Pred stuff... It hasn't been booted yet, but I am not reaching for it either. I especially love the Carnivore on FH. Usually this would be more OS than I want for FH but its working amazingly.

Also still throwing a devil hawk. This is kinda like the pred situation. The Berg got crowded by the serpents and scale. The devil hawk was kinda a nail in the coffin since it offers an overstability I couldnt really simulate with the berg. More discs covering a significantly wider range of shapes but giving up the familiarity of being able to force one disc to do 80% of that. So far I have not felt like I lost a stroke because I threw one of those 3 where I would have thrown a berg. I definately have saved at least a couple throwing the DH where I would have forced a berg on more Hyzer or tried to put too much touch on a gila. I also have thrown the Scale in twice from 100-150 FH (I also would get occasional throw ins like this with the berg).

I have a 1 round C tier this weekend on a familiar course, in a less than difficult/long layout. My bag this weekend will be:

Spirit (forcast suggests it may get breezy)
Carnivore x2
Hurricane

Komodo
Pred
Tyrant
Chameleon X2
Crave
Vortex

Gila x2
Iguana
Comet

Stego
Devilhawk
Scale
Serpent x2
Inner Core

Wizards for Putting

Also to keep the log I am using this thread. Here's the inner core doing work.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrNDBn9gkoB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I have a 1 round C tier this weekend on a familiar course, in a less than difficult/long layout. My bag this weekend will be:

Spirit (forcast suggests it may get breezy)
Carnivore x2
Hurricane

Komodo
Pred
Tyrant
Chameleon X2
Crave
Vortex

Gila x2
Iguana
Comet

Stego
Devilhawk
Scale
Serpent x2
Inner Core

Wizards for Putting

Also to keep the log I am using this thread. Here's the inner core doing work.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrNDBn9gkoB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

So the Tortuga has officially taken putting duties for now. My 4s wizards I used all winter finally started to feel too softand none of my fresh, clovered, beat varieties of wizards hit the spot as well as the tortuga. I have some more on the way to make getting those practice reps in easier.

The Pred has sat in the bag is has not been getting thrown. Between the Tyrant, Komodo and Carnivore (Even the nylon chameleon) there seems to always be something more specialty to the task at hand. Komodo for skips and hard bite spikes. Tyrant for shorter, less glide and controlled ground play. Carnivore for covering distance and wind, better FH than preds as well. Flipping up a chameleon bets the more finnese shots I used to throw a pred for as well. The PD/Thundy type straight to fade glidey shot is the main thing the Pred may come out for has been less a go to for me over flip up shots than in the past.
I won't be rushing to sell the preds, they treated me well so long but I am not lost without one in the bag.

Trust in my armor serpent and OS of the devilhawk the scale is getting less approach duty than expected and likely will be set aside before the next tourney as I am planning to lean on stuff I know/trust more for now.

Continuing the trend to video link log bag highlights. Heres some serpent getting work.

Mostly working out ideas in the thread, if you are reading and have input feel free to share.

Spirit
Carnivore x2
Hurricane

Komodo
Tyrant
Chameleon X2
Crave
Vortex

Gila x2
Iguana
Comet
Paradox

Stego
Devilhawk
Serpent x2
Inner Core

Tortuga

Played a 3 round C tier on a decent varying selection of courses. Not a lot of midrange shots though. One course was pretty short and made me think I had a hole in the bag, or more likely need practice with what I have. There was a couple times I wanted to throw my armor serpent but was worried about it being too straight. I would like the Scale to fit there but in approach it seemed redundant between my Serpents and Devilhawk. And was OS enough to not get quite the distance I do with the serpent.
I wish I had it in the bag for the extra fade/stability. Thought this was Devilhawk land, and if I needed more D I would throw the Gila. I was not feeling good by that round powering up and hitting lines so I didn't try to get the devilhawk there when thats what I would have planned normally.

Plan:

So I think I will keep messing with the new Scale that I love the feel of and hopefully beat it in quick enough to fill that gap, and mess with one of my older broken in scales some more too.

I will also mess with powering down my base gila that is my middle stability currently. This is probably the best answer since I feel like I am carrying too much, especially for how much I am playing its hard to feel dialed with this many discs at once.

I am tempted to toss a Neutron envy into the mix for the in between stuff but that is the opposite of trimming down. I do throw envys well, maybe no scale and take the middle gila out and put an envy back in. That would look like:

Mids:
Armor Gila-Iguana-Comet​
Driving/Long Putters:
Envy-Inner Core​
Approach Putters:
Devil Hawk-Armor Serpent-Tarpit Serpent​
Putting Putters:
Tortuga​

That's 10 discs (counting 2 putting putters, which I may throw one of occasionally when I want a touch more glide than the tarpit serpent). That's looks like a lot on paper, especially when I like rounds of just ~12 discs too. (usually still ~5-6 mids and putters then)

I also ran into an instance or two where my familiarity with predators over the Carnivore/Komodo combo would have been beneficial. I think I need to resist just putting them back in though. One of the holes I did manage to park both laps, and the one throw I had warming up was a tight spike hyzer with the Komodo that all 3 attempts were within a 6' circle of each other just short of being parked. It is a better utility disc than a pred. The carnivore is as long as a pred but better in the wind. Neither have the glide of the pred I am used to. I can think of a few times I would have likely been more successful and definitely been more comfortable with the pred. I may toss one back in for the upcoming A tier. Largely for a few thumbers I will likely need as I haven't dialed the komodo thumber yet. And I will allow myself to toss it when it feels most comfortable. It may just make the bag again like it always have after being subbed out. I can imagine dropping the Komodo, but the Carnivore and Tyrant have there spots for sure, and the komodo skips, spikes and cuts wind better than a pred.

Ideally a broken in or maybe Cobalt Komodo would be the answer.

Latest posts