• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for New York state residents

im from upstate central ny originally and i moved to virginia about a year ago. i never heard of disc golf when i was in ny. now im really into it and trying to get better, but i played all winter here and thats not possible in ny.

we play year round here..no wimps, no whiners..

maybe it is just that some peopl;e are spolied with more courses than other parts of the country..having 4 places to play within 20 minutes of my house(tc3, belle sherman, sned acres, palmer woods) was better than when i lived in va. and n.c...talk about a dead zone, check out the coastal carolina/va border

palmer woods on cornell campus is redesigned and installed but i am done with reviews...signs are coming between now and spring for this course and tc3 for people who can't follow arrows and clear cut paths

im from upstate central ny originally and i moved to virginia about a year ago. i never heard of disc golf when i was in ny. now im really into it and trying to get better, but i played all winter here and thats not possible in ny.

Why is it not possible? They don't close any of the parks. They don't pull any of the baskets. I'd rather play a course in Western NY in January than a course in South Florida in July.

do the discs go under the snow?

ok thats creative but i was thinking of throws where you dont see them land and i know theres a course near me where its really hard to find them under fallen leaves

depends on how bad you want to play i guess..we used to take a leafblower to bayville in the fall. leaves would pile up a foot or two high on most fairways

bayville is the course im talkin about, funny because i see ur from ithaca and i im originally from utica

do the discs go under the snow?

They go under the snow constantly. But one thing in your favor is a lack of vegatation making it easier to follow the entire flight of a disc. Some of the hardest discs to find are the ones that hit the snow almost parallel and really fast. They make almost no disturbance to the snow and can slide under the snow quite a long distance. And also the discs that hit the snow almost perpendicular sometimes make an almost invisible mark in the snow too.

Another thing is sometimes in a completely white landscape it's tough to judge just where to start looking because there is nothing distinguishing to make a point of reference for starting your search.

That said, we've never lost a disc in the snow. Some just take a very long time to find. This is where your forensic skills come into play. You look for tell tale signs in the snow. It's all elementary my dear Watson. We play every week all winter long.

We wanted to put a course in Delaware Park around Hoyt Lake here in Buffalo just a few months ago.

Vice President John Dudek said:

I went to college with his daughter or neice and she is a phys. ed major that I taught how to play disc golf :)

thats cool, i never played in ny- never knew about it until i moved away, im in virginia now and theres no snow here (or at least what we nyers consider snow) i would love to try but i avoid going back to ny because i didnt like it there in the 1st place

bayville is the course im talkin about, funny because i see ur from ithaca and i im originally from utica

Sweet! I grew up in Cortland and live in Hampton now. I play at Bayville like 20 times a year.

NY Disc Golf

Being a native Central NYer and past resident of PA, NJ, CA and now NC I had to chime in. First of all states like NJ, CA and NY have HUGE property taxes that make it hard to afford and run a private course. We have a family camp in Saranac, NY and the freaking taxes would make your head spin. It sits on about 4 acres. Think of taxes on a chunk of land big enough for a DG course. Those states are also heavily populated and space is at a premium. Look at San Diego, CA. There is about 3 or 4 courses in the whole bottom portion of So Cal. States like that like to use the land for revenue (TAX) genreating purposes so they can fuel their social systems. I live outside of Raleigh and have about 12 within 30 minutes of my house. We have less people and more cheap land. It's real easy for a town or county to throw up a course since there is a lot of open space to do it. And last and least. The weather does suck in NY. I know people up there will suck it up and play year-round, but the people paying for and approving these course's might not get it. Hard battle when the course has 3 feet of snow on it for 3 or 4 months a year.

All that being said, there is a new 9-hole course at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid. It's tough to get anything built in the Adirondack's but this is a start. I get back up there a few times a year and would love to see some more courses. The Finger Lakes, Catskills, Adirondacks, etc, are all beautiful places, and would be great areas for more courses. But I will leave the winter/snow golf to you guys. I played with about 3 inches on the ground last year and that was plenty for me.

And these courses keep getting better! Chili (baker) just got cement pads last spring, and Basil got them late last year. I Basil gets a serious bridge it's going to be AMAZING (I love that course the way it is..but that bridge is insane)........

I want to see one at Letchworth State Park.

Also I agree about Parma. With signage and cement tee pads that course would be stellar. right now it is a hidden gem that you have to know to appreciate.

i was sick of the taxes in ny too! i lived in utica and traveled to cortland for masters classes thru the snow and decided im going south (when gas was 4.22 a gallon) i just played in raliegh a couple weeks ago (small world eh?)

i was sick of the taxes in ny too! i lived in utica and traveled to cortland for masters classes thru the snow and decided im going south (when gas was 4.22 a gallon) i just played in raliegh a couple weeks ago (small world eh?)

I'll Take NY taxes anyday! I lived in a one bedroom apartment in western NY for $400 (and $600 when I lived closer to Rochester) a month. When I first moved to Maryland my 1 bedroom was 1400/month in a worse neighborhood. The first chance I get, I am headed back to the snow covered, manure infested towns that time forgot in Western NY

ok, true rent is generally lower, what about adding in cost of living (gas prices, heating cost, etc.) i lived near rochester (suny Brockport) and my rent was 400$ for a 1 bdrm now i live 5 blocks from the ocean and have a 2 bdrm for 750$. i take what i got now.

Latest posts