• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ABC Disc mids and driver reviews

jrawk

* Ace Member *
Ordered one of each available ABC disc two weeks and spent a day field testing them. Here are my impressions:

The ABC Plastic - I haven't felt anything like this plastic before in a golf disc. It feels like a blend of Innova Pro and Champion plastic. Very soft feeling, with a a small amount of transparency. Great grip but am unsure on durability. I haven't hit any trees or obstacles yet. :thmbup:

Mids:

The Mission 179g - Mid Range heaven. This disc is something special. I have never picked up a midrange disc brand new and thrown 250 straight on a flat release with zero fade until i threw the Mission. I am a Lat64 guy and praise the Core for being so easy to throw. The Mission may not fly as far as a core, but it is the easiest disc to control that i have thrown to date. My longest throw was 250ft dead straight. It held whatever release angle i put on until the last 50 feet of its flight, when it would flatten out and finish straight. :thmbup::thmbup:

Flying Squirrel 175g - Understable mid-range. This was the disc i was most eager to try out. And well, i am a bit disappointed, but still impressed. It is very understable, comparable to a meteor but can be thrown very far on a hyzer flip if not over torqued. I was able to reach 275 feet on a precision hyzer flip. I did get it to 300ft but it finished way left of my intended line (i throw LHBH). I haven't come across a hole on any of the 38 courses i've played where that kind of finish would be desirable. Still a good disc for stand-still approaches and hyzer flips :thmbup:

Drivers:

Secret Weapon 173g - Long Range Driver. Reminds me of a heavy star sidewinder. Very comfortable in the hand, thrown low and flat it has high speed turn that will eventually fade out at the end of its flight. Can be hyzer flipped flat and will retain its end of flight fade. The Secret Weapon for me is really easy to throw and get 300+ feet out of. My longest was 315 landing right below fencepost i was aiming for. :thmbup::thmbup:

Gamma Ray 174g - Marketed as their "Straight Driver" this thing is not straight. It's beefy, sharp edged, and over stable. The plate on it is extremely thin and domey. I had a hard time keeping it low without anhyzer release. when thrown flat, the thing airbounces hard and meathooks. Furthest throw on a flex shot was 290 feet. I just couldn't get any desirable throws out of it. :thmbdown:

To summarize, would the Secret Weapon and The Mission be a good combo if only playing in a two disc format? Could they form the backbone of a smaller bag?

I saw a The Mission the other day at the local store and it was decently priced. I am very confident with my current midrange set up and fear trying out a new disc could zap confidence in what I already throw. This is the reason my Fuse is only used when I throw an all Lat64 bag. It is okay if it is the only thing I am throwing, but it would almost never be thrown in my larger bag, or if it is thrown bad, I will be questioning my disc selection for the remainder of the round. I prefer to not mess with my current set-up because right now it is the only thing keeping me around par (I try too hard to drive close enough where my bad putting is not a factor).

Then again, if The Mission is a great disc, I would only be doing myself injustice if I did not try it and possible replace something that was not as good.

Wow, you must have got one bad Gamma Ray. Mine was extremely controllable and straight, kind of a tweener distance/fairway driver. The worst feature is that damn dark red color, you can almost lose it in an open field.

I love the squirrel, it has great glide. mission is a great disc also. have heard several people say gamma not much of a straight driver. They have re-molded the gamma ray because it did not turn out to be their straight driver. They are going to be releasing 3 more discs in the near future. ABC Discs are very sweet. Try out their putter, The Money!

To summarize, would the Secret Weapon and The Mission be a good combo if only playing in a two disc format? Could they form the backbone of a smaller bag?

Yes. Although, i would probably take the mission and your choice putter for a 2 disc round.

To design a 6 disc bag around the Mission and Weapon, i would add a Destroyer , Striker, Firebird, and choice putter.

Wow, you must have got one bad Gamma Ray. Mine was extremely controllable and straight, kind of a tweener distance/fairway driver. The worst feature is that damn dark red color, you can almost lose it in an open field.

I love the squirrel, it has great glide. mission is a great disc also. have heard several people say gamma not much of a straight driver. They have re-molded the gamma ray because it did not turn out to be their straight driver. They are going to be releasing 3 more discs in the near future. ABC Discs are very sweet. Try out their putter, The Money!

I'm pretty sure i got a junk one. And yes, the red isn't all that great of a color. the Blue isn't much better.

I got a Money Putter as well, but haven't used it yet. I'm still experimenting with a Zero line Pure.

I'm pretty sure i got a junk one. And yes, the red isn't all that great of a color. the Blue isn't much better.

I got a Money Putter as well, but haven't used it yet. I'm still experimenting with a Zero line Pure.

The putter is the ONLY disc of theirs I don't like. It feels like candle wax to me, and it got chewed up after practicing with it for an hour or so.
I do love the secret weapon though.

Dan is such a great guy and I am trying to work some of his molds into my bag. but my bag is getting so set in stone its tough.

he plays a lot of Indiana tourneys and he is a great ambassador for the sport of disc golf.

He has a new driver in the works. Wide rim and i hear it bombs.

I certainly want to thank you all for giving our discs a go. We are trying desperately to get these our fast with out compromising quality. We do now have First Run Missions and Squirrels in Blue, Light Red and Bright yellow in varied weights.

Good call on giving the Flying Squirrel hyzer without throwing at full strength. If you work this touch shot into your game, the disc will be perfect for those turnover shots for those that do not have the greatest forehand shot. We just molded 150 class Squirrels which I believe is the easiest disc I have ever thrown.

As for the Gamma, it is correct that it is too stable to be our straight driver. Consequently, we are in the process of making a new wide rimmed Gamma that will be true to its marketed name. I was going to scrap the Gamma, but members of my team demanded it stay. I am zeroing in on a new name for the disc which will be our first stable driver. Our sweet gold plastic gives the disc a very stable and predictable flight path. The boys were throwing the new Gamma along with another unnamed, understable wide rimmed disc well over 500 feet. I don not have that, but they are going as far as the Innova drivers that remain in my bag til these puppies are approved.

The Money does get nicked up. I certainly can not say it is by design, however, out of all the plastic we blended, this was the best at catching the chains with a firm yet sweet feel in the hand. It a bittersweet tournament that I finished 2nd in, Jack Cress from Peru Indiana came back from a 6 throw deficit to win by hitting EVERYTHING from 40 and in with the Money. I have never been so content in a loss and I like winning! Additionally, I still can not get one of these to turn over.

We will continue to produce the finest discs we can. Thanks again for all your input, good, bad or indifferent!

Practice your putting or pay your buddies!

So the current Gamma will get a new name? Or are you saying the new, straighter driver will get the new name?

I believe the current gamma will get a new name. They are actually working on several new discs. The new long range straight driver being one of them.

Correct Cheep, the current Gamma Ray will get a new name. The new wide rimmed long range flyer will become the new Gamma Ray. This is admittedly a bit confusing, however, it is important to me that our straight driver in fact flies straight.

I actually found a secret weapon when he was still testing it on lemon lake red course day before worlds. Called and rerurned it to him. It wasnt even stamped just had his number and secret weapon written on it in marker. Also liked the feel and way that it threw. I might have to pick one of these up now.

Played two rounds with the Mission and Secret Weapon today at my home course. Love them both. The Mission is now my go-to tunnel shot and "straight at it" disc. The Weapon is easier to throw, a bit more stable which makes them more consistent than my GL Visions.

Great job, ABC Discs.