• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ABC Discs for a beginner?

Gingertom

I am still new to Disc Golf and looking to expand my discs by adding a Flying Squirrel and a Secret weapon By ABC discs. What do you think?

I don't know much about the Secret Weapon, never thrown one. I hate drivers.

The Flying Squirrel is an awesome disc. I was really impressed with how easy it was to throw. It loves to glide and is great for a finesse shot or anhyzer. If I didn't already have a stack of Comets, I'd be throwing the Flying Squirrel. You will be glad you picked one up.

I have a complete ABC Discs bag. I don't take it out much but I do like their entire line up of discs. The Money is a solid putter too.

IF... a beginning disc golfer is going to get a driver anyway... even though he or she probably shouldn't... the Secret Weapon or a Roadrunner (star plastic) would be the disc.

You'd probably get better results from a DX Leopard... IMO.
You'd probably get the BEST results from a Stingray or a Flying Squirrel as your "everything but my putter" choice. I still have (and carried today) a star Stingray for dead straight hyzer flips with a LOT of glide. The Flying Squirrel will also fill that role... forever.

Discs for beginners!

I do appreciate the kind words that many have had for ABC Discs. Know that as I started the company, the needs of new disc golfers was first in my mind. I have the ability to throw over 400 feet, however, the vast majority of players need to throw discs that are easy to throw. Too many new golfers throw over stable plastic and wonder why they can not throw like Avery Jenkins within a few weeks or months.

The Flying Squirrel is likely one of the best kept secrets in golf. I know ABC is still a very new company. In a matter of time, there will be many golfers, both new and experienced whom will be throwing the Squirrel, Mission, Secret Weapon, Money and our other discs.

Know also that we will have some over stable plastic out soon. We do not want to neglect the needs of golfers blessed with big arms. Heck, I look forward to getting some of my competitors discs out of my bag. I continue to pray for the success of all disc golf manufacturers. There will be room for us all in this growing market. If we continue to make quality discs, we all will be successful.

After all that ranting, to you whom have started this thread, both the Flying Squirrel and Secret Weapon would be a fine way to start you career. Learn how to throw the under stable discs first. As your game progresses, and you continue to learn proper throwing techniques, more stable discs should be implemented into your game.

Welcome to the game of disc golf. You will the find the disc golf family to be as welcoming as it comes. Hope one day I get to play a round of disc golf with you. Have your best day ever. Practice your putting!

Dan Pastore

It's already been said but you should get a Flying Squirrel. After playing 2 rounds I can get it to hold any line (within a reasonable distance, of course). I can use mine for almost all mid-range needs.

Hi! the flying squirrel is a great disc. It has a ton of glide and you can depend on it to hold that anhyzer line. A wonderful disc if you need to get out of trouble in the woods. Funny enough, my squirrel is like a secret weapon =)
I was also debating grabbing a secret weapon for the bag. Looks similar to a roadrunner which would be cool. Anyone have any feedback on the weapon?

I only had my proto Secret weapon for a week before it was stolen but in that short time it was a very nice driver, slightly under stable with a nice fade.

I keep 2 secret weapons in my bag and use them all the time. I can throw a dead straight hyzer flip down the tunnel or let loose a long bomber as long as it is not to windy. I reccomend this disc to new and experienced players.