• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Academy-like" Awards for 2019 Tournaments

Steve West

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I thought it might be fun to make up categories and announce winners.

The award for Best Performance by a Course in Sorting Players by Skill during an Amateur Tournament goes to Quaker's Challenge at Pinchot State Park in the QC-L/8,222 feet configuration, during the 2019 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships- Powered by Prodigy.

The award for Best Performance by a Course in Sorting Players by Skill during an Open Tournament goes to Winthrop University in the Arena Gold B layout during the 2019 United States Disc Golf Championship.

(For explanation, see here.)

Well, I doubt anyone can come up with any categories more fun that that!

The 3rd highest-rated round of my career was at Quaker's Challenge at Am Worlds! Subjectively, it "felt" like the best tournament round I've ever played, well ahead of other rounds I have that are rated similarly. If only it was an accurate reflection of my true skill.

Interesting to me that Muddy Run, currently DGCR's highest-rated course in PA, rates as the lowest-powered course that MA1 played in that tournament. I did notice that it didn't cause much scoring separation. There was certainly one guy on my card who was too high/drunk/wasted/tripped-out/something to keep track of his own scores on each hole ("Did I get a 2 or a 4 on that hole we just played? I can't remember..."), but he surprisingly managed to put up a respectable score on that course. I guess that's what happens when the rough isn't too punishing, and there's no OB.

The 3rd highest-rated round of my career was at Quaker's Challenge at Am Worlds! Subjectively, it "felt" like the best tournament round I've ever played, well ahead of other rounds I have that are rated similarly. If only it was an accurate reflection of my true skill.

Interesting to me that Muddy Run, currently DGCR's highest-rated course in PA, rates as the lowest-powered course that MA1 played in that tournament. I did notice that it didn't cause much scoring separation. There was certainly one guy on my card who was too high/drunk/wasted/tripped-out/something to keep track of his own scores on each hole ("Did I get a 2 or a 4 on that hole we just played? I can't remember..."), but he surprisingly managed to put up a respectable score on that course. I guess that's what happens when the rough isn't too punishing, and there's no OB.

Lol....Quakers crushed me. I could not stay off trees down the fairway. Nice drive, down the middle, hit my line....BAM, a richocet into thick shule. It was a brutal beat down. I was really down on the course after. Now, with a little reflection and some salty fade-away, I think it was a challenging quality course. Not surprised by the scoring separation.

Lol....Quakers crushed me. I could not stay off trees down the fairway. Nice drive, down the middle, hit my line....BAM, a richocet into thick shule. It was a brutal beat down. I was really down on the course after. Now, with a little reflection and some salty fade-away, I think it was a challenging quality course. Not surprised by the scoring separation.

It crushed me too. I guess playing Muddy in the afternoon and Quaker the next morning wasn't the best formula for my creaky knees. Once I walked up the hill on hole #1 it took me 5 holes to recover. On Hole #3 the long par 5 I hit 7 straight trees without once going into the rough. I think it some type of record. :)

Luckily I had great card mates and it was an enjoyable round.

Quake was by far the highlight of Am Worlds for me. Played it even over 2 rounds (-2,+2) and was absolutely the reasoning for my finish since i played blah everywhere else. Plus I got my first ever tournament eagle there (Hole 16) during the semi's!

The award for best reaction to a missed putt goes to Eagle for his backwards somersault into elbow smash to the ground. He set the standard right there.

The award for best drama would go to Adam Hammes and that camera guy.

Latest posts