• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace pot payout. Weather cancelation?

Lachendr0

This hasn't happened yet, but I'm running a doubles league and wanted to get a feel for what to do.

Ace pot =200$ (not important but just incase)
Round starts and a player hits an ace on their 6th hole.
Due to bad lightning the round gets canceled after 9 holes.
Normally all money is returned for cancelations.

Do we pay the out the ace pot?
Does it matter which hole it was on
Does it matter when the round was canceled?
Does it matter if one group only finished 5 holes?

My inclination is that all money is returned unless everyone finished at least 12 holes and the ace pot is not paid out.

If everyone finished at least 12 holes I pay out normally based on the number of holes all teams finished. (One team finishes 13 while one finishes 15, we just take everyone's first 13) ace pot pays if it was on a hole counted for score?

We do shotgun start and all holes are par 3 (but some are clearly harder) is the above still fair?

I welcome any input.

The player in me wants paid for hitting it, since I paid in.
The dubs runner in me wants it to be fair.

Since you most likely do a shotgun-type start, each group will not have completed the same 12 holes. Already a certain amount of unavoidable unfairness.

If the guy hits the ace on his 14th hole and the minimum # of completed holes by all cards is only 12, his ace should probably not payout from the ace pot.

Talk about an extremely unlikely scenario.

You could make a good argument either way. If you want to pay out the ace pot, try this---

When a person has a great round going halfway through the course, he still has no guarantee of winning or even placing the in the cash. But when a person hits an ace in the first half of the course, he knows he's won the ace pool, or at least part of it.

So the folks playing well, or even leading, can't exactly say that the postponement cost them money. But the person who's already aced, can.

Consider it could be an issue if the ace pot were huge, and the call to halt due to weather is debatable. Better to pay it.

We split the pot

what's the probability of a split? If its low, like never happened, then pay out. If its high, then set some hole limit. I view an Ace as a bit separate from the round

My weekly averages around 65 players each week. Last week there was a threat for rain. Typically it doesn't rain but it was inevitable. I repeatedly warned everyone that we were going to play in the rain unless there was some really dangerous lightning. All aces pay $50. Two holes into the round there was an ace. By the 7th hole we had lots of wind and the rain began. It lasted for two holes. The 1st question I got was if aces were being paid if they player quit. I said yes. You could ace your 1st hole on a sunny day and quit the next hole and I feel you should still get paid. Of course we had some occasional lightning flashes and wind and there was the typically whining about it being dangerous. 3 people quit. Why do people bother to show up if they don't want to play?

Never really thought about this problem, when/ if you cancel the round do you normally return the ace pot entry? I would say no returns on any ace pot money cause you could smash one on the first hole.

If someone aces, you should pay them.

I like the idea of a min holes play req't to pay out winnings tho.

Of course we had some occasional lightning flashes and wind and there was the typically whining about it being dangerous. 3 people quit. Why do people bother to show up if they don't want to play?

They do want to play, but lightning is no joke. You're sounding typically grumpy today Chris

What if you only payed out say 50 bucks... I mean he did ace and we all know we would want to be paid out on it since we put our money into the pot

Talk about an extremely unlikely scenario.

You could make a good argument either way. If you want to pay out the ace pot, try this---

When a person has a great round going halfway through the course, he still has no guarantee of winning or even placing the in the cash. But when a person hits an ace in the first half of the course, he knows he's won the ace pool, or at least part of it.

So the folks playing well, or even leading, can't exactly say that the postponement cost them money. But the person who's already aced, can.

Consider it could be an issue if the ace pot were huge, and the call to halt due to weather is debatable. Better to pay it.

Good points, I think I'll talk with the other guy that runs local leagues and announce our policy. My gut feeling is that some level of payment needs made. My initial thought is that any Ace that occurs during a rain shortened round (called by the person running it because of unsafe weather) will pay 50% of the ace pool.

I say pay the man. an Ace is an Ace. period. whether it was his first or last hole. he hit an ace.

dont be stingy. pay him. and I dont like Ace Pots that are capped. at all.

Good points, I think I'll talk with the other guy that runs local leagues and announce our policy. My gut feeling is that some level of payment needs made. My initial thought is that any Ace that occurs during a rain shortened round (called by the person running it because of unsafe weather) will pay 50% of the ace pool.

Regardless of what you decide, the most important thing is to decide in advance, and make it clear. You're on the ball to be dealing with it now. It will save you much grief down the road.

Absolutely not. He did not hit an ace in a full round. Return the ace pot money with all of the other buy-ins.

I would be rather POed if he started on the easy holes while I started on some par 4s or something. That just doesn't seem fair.

Of course we had some occasional lightning flashes and wind and there was the typically whining about it being dangerous. 3 people quit.

If you can see lightning or hear thunder, you are in danger. Stop immediately.

The LD should announce this policy ahead of time, so players don't even feel they are expected to keep playing - in fact, they should know they are expected to stop.

The threat of death doesn't happen often enough to significantly cut down the amount of time we can play. Not enough to take the chance of never playing again. Besides, it really, really hurts to get hit by lightning.

Be the responsible adult, not the kid who doesn't want to stop playing.

Latest posts