• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace pot payout. Weather cancelation?

interesting scenario. I think I would pay it out regardless. Conditions change continually (wind, rain, sun glare). So if somebody aces a hole when there's no wind, no rain, no sun glare and every other group to play that hole gets wind and sun glare, can they proclaim unfair advantage? No, they'd get laughed at.

At my mini I would pay the ace pot in full. The td and the players have no control over the weather, it could cause and advantage for some and a disadvantage for others but I believe it is fair because it is an uncontrollable variable. I know if I didn't pay the ace, I would never hear the end of it!

life's not fair.... Pay whoever hits the ace And tell the whiners to stop whining.

Really.

Maybe someone didn't get a shot at the same hole, or the easiest holes, but the odds are overwhelming that even if they had, they wouldn't have hit an ace.

Regardless of what you decide, the most important thing is to decide in advance, and make it clear. You're on the ball to be dealing with it now. It will save you much grief down the road.

I think this is the most important thing. If anyone aces under these circumstances, I'm sure they'd be bummed if they didn't get paid (or even got paid less) but they'll be angry if they think they're getting paid and find out they're not. Make sure the rule is set and everyone knows what it is. If they don't like it, they can play somewhere else.

I think this is a good idea: "My initial thought is that any Ace that occurs during a rain shortened round (called by the person running it because of unsafe weather) will pay 50% of the ace pool."

Some payout will still make the player that aced happy they get something, even if it is reduced. It isn't fair for them to get the full payout if all the players did not have a chance to attempt that hole.

Absolutely not. He did not hit an ace in a full round. Return the ace pot money with all of the other buy-ins.

I would be rather POed if he started on the easy holes while I started on some par 4s or something. That just doesn't seem fair.

^ above post is silly and shouldnt be taken seriously

^ above post is silly and shouldnt be taken seriously

Not trolling.

If you put money in for a CTP, and you don't get to the CTP hole before weather cancels the event, you believe that the CTP money should be paid out to whoever is closest at that time???

Not trolling.

If you put money in for a CTP, and you don't get to the CTP hole before weather cancels the event, you believe that the CTP money should be paid out to whoever is closest at that time???

Whos talking about a ctp?? We're talking about an ace.

Your argument is valid for ctp. For an ace its dumb, sorry forthe crude description, but it really just makes no sense.

Where the other players started isnt relevant. Easy holes, hard holes, doesnt matter. When you paid you knew you would start on a random hole, you also likely knew the weather was possibly sketchy. You took a chance, and missed. The fact it wasnt a full round shouldnt have any bearing on whether or not you get paid for your ace, are you kidding me?

Last edited:
I guess the type of course could figure into it, too. I mean, if there are two back-to-back open 200' ace-run holes and everything else is 500', then perhaps those who didn't get a shot at those easy holes feel shorted. But every course I can think of, the aceable holes are scattered so that, in no time, everyone's had some sort of chance. Perhaps not equal, but the difference between someone else getting to throw a 1-in-200 chance at an ace, while I only get to throw a 1-in-300 chance at an ace, isn't worth sweating over.

When you're handing out the refunds return everyone elses ace pot with the refund and payout the rest of the ace pot. That's what I'd do.

Whos talking about a ctp?? We're talking about an ace.

Your argument is valid for ctp. For an ace its dumb, sorry forthe crude description, but it really just makes no sense.

Where the other players started isnt relevant. Easy holes, hard holes, doesnt matter. When you paid you knew you would start on a random hole, you also likely knew the weather was possibly sketchy. You took a chance, and missed. The fact it wasnt a full round shouldnt have any bearing on whether or not you get paid for your ace, are you kidding me?

I don't see how a CTP is different than an ace pot in this example. Everyone puts in a certain amount of money for a chance on certain holes to win more money back. Some people get to play those holes, some don't.

The leagues around here that have ace pots are flex starts and you can start on any hole you want. I guess if the weather is sketchy, then everyone should just run to the part of the course where there are 3 ace runs back to back to back instead of going to the harder par 4s. This would cause a big backup at the course and some people might not even get to start their round before the weather starts... I guess those that don't even get to start don't get their ace pot back?

I don't see how a CTP is different than an ace pot in this example. Everyone puts in a certain amount of money for a chance on certain holes to win more money back. Some people get to play those holes, some don't.

The leagues around here that have ace pots are flex starts and you can start on any hole you want. I guess if the weather is sketchy, then everyone should just run to the part of the course where there are 3 ace runs back to back to back instead of going to the harder par 4s. This would cause a big backup at the course and some people might not even get to start their round before the weather starts... I guess those that don't even get to start don't get their ace pot back?

Ah, your example is different from leagues I've played in.

The difference between CTPs and Ace Pots is the "those holes" part. CTPs apply to a particular hole, which some players would have played in an incomplete round. Ace pots apply to all holes on a course, so everyone would have played at least some of the aceable holes. CTPs are a sure-win; someone's going to win every time. Ace pots are not.

Very unlikely but interesting scenario. I think a good option would be to pay it out equivalent the percentage of holes completed. This would make sense and keep the majority happy. U have to pay aces imo.

At my doubles league last night we played all 27 holes at Joralemon.
35 players so we started cards on 1-3-5-7-9-10-12-22-24-26.
There was the threat of thunderstorms but they never came thru.

IF they had and we only got thru 12 holes, there would have been a couple cards that played 12 entirely different holes.
1 thru 9 are much more open than 10 thru 21.

There would've been much whining and complaining about "fairness". :\

Good example. That's why the ruling might be course-dependent.

How frequently is the ace pool won there?

As you can see, there is no perfect way to do it. Just decide on a policy and try to get the word on when the threat of weather is a possibility.

The course our club has our Thursday rounds on is a a short course with pretty much every hole aceable, so this is something that has crossed my mind. We only pay out half of the ace pot as is for aces, and we split the payouts should their be multiple aces. So I would pay out the ace pot if it was hit in weather shortened round.

A couple per year minimum.
Last year we had 3 hits.
This year we had an early one but the pot is over 400 now. :eek:

An interesting thought is that, on a course where aces are infrequent, any ace early in the round has a 99.9% chance of being the only ace of the day. The person with the ace might feel that he almost certainly would have won the ace pot, had the round not ended early. The other players might whine, but they only lost an 0.1% chance of also acing later in the round and sharing the pot.

Of course, one counterargument is that, on such a course, a lot of money is at stake---because the pot has built up---so let's not be cavalier about paying it out.

On the other hand, I used to play doubles at Earlewood where we must have averaged an ace a week, and a 3-week buildup in the pot was a big deal. There, an early termination would mean everyone missed a lot of good ace runs......but there was never enough money at stake to get worked up over.

Latest posts