• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace race TD question

cheese dog

Birdie Member
I am try to TD and ace race this year. Discraft has been very helpful with any questions i have had. I have never TD'ed any disc golf event. but im sure i could promote, get corporate and local sponsors, provide lunch, have a drawing for extra prizes. my local park and rec are not to sure of the idea of an ace race. They wanted specifics of time, number of people, tourney rules etc, etc. the course i want to host at is only a year old so they are new at tourneys too. Is This normal when trying to reserve a course? Anything i could do to help my Ace Race? I have promoted the ace race as a fun event that would draw people to the sport and the park. I dont know waht else to do. Thanks fellas

Unfortunately all you can do is do everything within your power (spread the word to the local paper, use tons of social media, put out flyers at surrounding local disc golf courses) and see how many people show up. If you have a presence in your community, then I'm sure you'll have a decent showing. Give the opportunity to sign up online, that way you have a general idea of the turn out before it even starts. But you just can't know until the morning of and everyone who hates signing up online starts showing up. Good luck!

I would give them as much info as you can. I would say they may even be happy with the schedule of the event. They are probably just trying to garner information the same as you. If you play your cards right this might set up a great partnership between yourself and the parks and rec dept

I Hope your right bencybul. the local disc golfers are really greatful for the course.One disc golfer has donated trash cans, I am going to build a bridge for a small stream/ditch. I have never seen people as respectful as disc golfers, for the most post part we don't litter, dont throw fits when a drive goes bad. when i played ball golf i think i was the only person that knew of sportsmanship and respect.

Being the first one, you may have a difficult time estimating the number of players, and then in turn, knowing how many packages to order. Order too many, and you are personally out the cash for the packages; Order too few, and you have frustrated players not getting a package.

My advice would be to push the pre-registration and set clear expectations in your promotions. When I promote mine, I state "Sign up by XX (2.5 weeks out) to guarantee your spot in the Ace Race. Limited spots available after XX". The other benefit of pre-registration is you have some of the cash up front to make the payment to Discraft.

It will differ for everyone, but I typically order 10 extra packages on top of the pre-registration.

General Advice that will sound silly at first, but is helpful.

Be careful using the word "tournament" when first approaching any parks dept (or city, municipality for that matter).

It's kind of like using the term "flooded" in reference to water damage when making contact with a landlord, or insurance claims rep. It's a buzzword that might be interpreted much differently on the other end than one thinks.

If one leads with "tournament" many munis go into hyper mode (insurance! Permits! Fees! Emergency plans! Signed agreements! Waivers! Porta potties! Risk management! Requirements!).

Lead with "Event". No matter how much you think they understand disc golf, once you use the word tournament, whatever mental picture they have of what a "tournament" is will be hard to shake.

Downplay, downplay. Share that it will be like regular designated park use, just busier than usual! Come across as someone trying their best to be courteous about sharing that there may be increased activity.

Now, if a given area is super in line with disc golf events, (as a very few are) then lead with the hype machine if it will lead to gaining favor, but in many many areas "the ask" if not framed carefully leads to unanticipated, (often innapropriate) complications.

Latest posts