• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ACE - What's too short?

DSCJNKY

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
There's lot of debate about ACES on this site, so this should be interesting...

How short is too short to consider it an ACE?

To simplify things... let's say it's a wide open hole on flat ground with zero OB.
What do y'all think???
DSCJNKY

if its a hole on a course, it counts, first or 50th throw, you stood at the tee and made it in the basket.

Ok someone wants to throw down

50th throw does not count.

an ace is first throw at a hole.
If you played the course 50 times and on the 50th time you make it in it is an ace, but as soon as a second disc comes out it is not an ace.
read the other 500 is this an ace forums and you'll see that a hole in one and an ace are not the same thing.

Ok someone wants to throw down

50th throw does not count.

an ace is first throw at a hole.
If you played the course 50 times and on the 50th time you make it in it is an ace, but as soon as a second disc comes out it is not an ace.
read the other 500 is this an ace forums and you'll see that a hole in one and an ace are not the same thing.

Well said!

If it is your first throw from a legit tee pad during a round (casual/competitive), and it goes in the basket, it's an ace, regardless of distance. If it's only 50ft though, you may not want to brag about that one!?..., maybe a better question would be how far does it have to be before you should brag about it? IMO

I don't care about the number of throws... that's been done in other threads.

This thread is about the number of feet (100, 125, 150, 175, 200, etc...) the hole has to be for you to want to consider adding it to your ace total... First shot off the tee... open field... no OB.
DSCJNKY

Probably opening a can of worms here... but should an Ace count if it's a putt too? I know that some people can putt from that range. I can't. But if there were a 50' hole, and someone "putted it in" from the tee, what then?

If it's a 25ft putt, but it's from the teepad to the basket....you aced it! (Not as cool as your friends 500ft ace up hill in the snow)
I don't know of any 25ft holes. But it sure would count. Because you can mark a 1 on the scorecard. It's that simple.

Probably opening a can of worms here... but should an Ace count if it's a putt too? I know that some people can putt from that range. I can't. But if there were a 50' hole, and someone "putted it in" from the tee, what then?

I think that is what this thread is about. He wants to know if a course has a 50 foot hole and you can putt it in from the tee, is it an ace.

unfortunately I would say yes, but I wouldn't brag...heck I wouldn't play that hole unless their is a disc eating lion chained to a thorn bush that is on fire between the tee and the basket.

I just can't imagine a 25 or 50ft hole?!...do those actually exist?
I have to agree though, regardless of distance, first throw from the box into the basket (excluding practice throws), it's an ace.

Flat, wide open? Hmm, I'm gonna have to say at least 200' for it to count as an ace. Sprinkle some trees in there and I'll let you go down to 100' maybe.

This thread has me inspired. I think that I'm going to encourage the people at a State Park course that I go to to put in some shorter tees for... "the kids to learn on." Then I'll go play it all of the time so that I can up my ace count (from zero) in a hurry, like Cubby! :D

Wide open I would feel good about 150 or so.

There is a 116' slightly blind righthand dogleg at a local course that I would be thrilled to ace:
5d1fe1e2.jpg

But like they said, if its a tee shot and goes in it really doesn't matter whether its 60' or 600' (other than the bragging rights).

Its kind of like getting 1st in a tourney that you are the only one in the class...it all depends on how you tell the story!!

Rutgers - 57' and Richlands, NC, 87'

Never played Rutgers (Cubby land) but the 87' hole at Richlands is a terror.

thanks BrotherDave

so the question is do you count a 57 foot ace?
it seems that most of us do as long as it is truly your first throw.

thanks BrotherDave

so the question is do you count a 57 foot ace?
it seems that most of us do as long as it is truly your first throw.

You kind of half to, it's part of the course.

You want to ramp up the ace count, play Beth Schmidt, Burlington, NC a 102', 100', and a 69' hole. Longest hole, a whopping 225'.

dr lawless in michigan has a 105.. its tight
i know elliot park in elkhart has some really short ones... but nobody goes there, most baskets have been stolen, and if the hole was 80ft you couldn't see the pin anyways... it dont have fairways :)