• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ACID'S DYE TUTORIAL!!!

Actually, I've got an epic caroming around my trunk (for the last 4 years) and I should probably see what happens when I dip it.

ChUcK said:
Here you go:

Innova- all
Discraft- all
Gateway- all
DGA- all
Millenium- all
Quest- all
Ching- all
Latitude 64- all
Discwing- all
Daredevil- all
1080- all

I think that about covers it. Good luck on your dyeing journey, performing experiments to see which ones dye the most to your liking!

Fasteddy411 said:
i wouldn't bother with innova dx plastic. it's not worth your time. the colors look terrible.

OK, maybe I should've said which plastics give good results. I don't want to waste my time on plastic that will look like shit.

Innova Star and Champion plastics come out very dark. We dyed a DX disc and it actually came out pretty cool, we dyed it with black, and while the black came out very dark on the Star disc, the DX disc just got a lot darker there, it's still kind of pinkish...

We have an Aerobie Arrow, their putter, but I don't think we tried dying it.

i asked this question in another thread but not reply. how do you dye one disc two colors? i understand how to do just one color but im not sure about the best way to do two colors without colors overlapping. Any help would be great.

thanks

Acid--thanks for the tutorial. Your instructions worked really well for me. I did everything you suggested except for I actually printed the design directly on contact paper with a laser printer. Here is my first attempt:

teerex.jpg

teerex-detail.jpg

I dyed mine for a total of 15 minutes and heated the dye to approximately 125 degrees. This is a Star TeeRex of course.

Thanks for this great tutorial ACID!

These are the best dye results we've gotten. We have a vinyl plotter and have been making some disc golf stickers, but haven't quite mastered dyes yet. Here are a few discs I did after reading this.

pro-wraith.jpg

valk-and-monarch.jpg

NOTE: There's one issue. I let the dye set overnight, then tried to wipe some goo gone on the disc (star plastic) and started getting a little run of the dye. Is that because the dye is still setting? I'm scared to touch these discs with the stuff.

tymeframe said:
NOTE: There's one issue. I let the dye set overnight, then tried to wipe some goo gone on the disc (star plastic) and started getting a little run of the dye. Is that because the dye is still setting? I'm scared to touch these discs with the stuff.

1. What soak method do you use?

2. It's possible it's still setting. Did you rinse the discs off with warm water or cold?

3. Goo Gone is pretty vicious stuff, I've actually had it, and 100% acetone, actually start to take the dye out of my CE plastic (stock dye from the factory, example, my EXP-1 that green/yellow. I've rubbed the disc to get tree sap off it, and the cotton ball was the color of the disc. lol.

tymeframe said:
Thanks for this great tutorial ACID!

These are the best dye results we've gotten. We have a vinyl plotter and have been making some disc golf stickers, but haven't quite mastered dyes yet. Here are a few discs I did after reading this.

Dude I hate you.
LOL. Makes me want to get a plotter.

As for the goo gone, I do my dye, and then rinse it in cold water with a millllllllldly abrasive pad. I dont like to get something too rough cuz then it scuffs it up and makes these little circles in your new disc. Kinda makes this hazy look.
Let it sit for a day or so. Then use some goo gone. That's usually what I do. Because when I'd try to clean the residue off immediately after the dye job, I'd notice it start to smear and pull the dye off the plastic. Just give it time to set into the plastic and you should be ok.

Sweet, I realize that on my first dye jobs, I wasn't exactly paying attention to the temperature of the water I was rinsing with. It'll be cold water from now on. Also, the Goo Gone I was using was Goo Gone Xtreme. Maybe that has super crazy powers vs. the regular stuff.

Either way, here's another typography based dye job I did. DGstickers donated it as a CTP at our December monthly. It's a Star Starfire.

If you guys need some artwork plotted for a dye, shoot me an email let me know!

star-starfire-layout.jpg

just a tip I have learned from experience.

If you want green, use KELLY GREEN, not DARK GREEN. Dark green is like brown, kelly green is perfect.

If you want Blue, use LIGHT BLUE, NOT DARK BLUE OR DENIM BLUE. The others are way to dark.

And be careful removing stamps from White star or esp plastics, the color smears very easy and is hard or impossible to get out. Any other plastic in any other color, never had a problem.

For my blue I use 50/50 Royal Blue/Navy Blue
Here's a few examples of that color.

On orange champion plastic
l_64f6a66022644752837c445efd52c824.jpg

On Star white
l_579ba9f9912645aa92a017487d59d6e6.jpg

Completely off topic but did you get your username from these guys?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDMZAvf5gw

abcd said:
Completely off topic but did you get your username from these guys?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDMZAvf5gw

Yeah I've been acidbath666 online for about 15 years. Acidbath split up when I was about 18 when Audie was killed by a drunk driver. They're from Louisiana about an hour and a half east of me. Nearly everyone in LA that knows of em is a fan. Dax (the singer) does a lot of solo stuff and he always sells out because he's still got a huge fan base.

A quick question for the disc dyers of the forum. I have a sweet of Pro Firebird(CE) that was dyed before it was originally sold. You know the discs I am talking about, basically camouflage and hard to find even in the fairway. All I want to do is dye this a solid bright color to make it much easier to find when it finds its way into the bag. Over half of the disc if basically clear and the rest of it has a faint light red color with the majority being purple. I don't want to dye it purple, ideally a bright color like orange or red. I have a feeling that doing that would just make a bad situation worse for the coloring on the disc.

I can take a picture and link it tomorrow if that would help. Just looking for recommendations/advice.

Thanks in advance, Ryan.

You could do red. The purple would stay purple or may get a bit darker, but the rest of the disc should be fine. A pic would help.

Latest posts