• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ACID'S DYE TUTORIAL!!!

Here ya go.

4653134340_f844b68459.jpg

Uh, I don't think you will ever make that disc easier to find. That coloring has already doomed the disc to camo status. Put any more dye on there, it will only make it even more camo.

Yeah redding that disc out is only gonna make it worse.
I had a camo-ish CE Valk that I dyed red (with the same intentions as you) and it didn't help one bit.

4653134340_f844b68459.jpg

4654151958_81d169b990.jpg

Ya, I think the full red's probably better in this case. I've got a QJLS that's a dyed a lot like the first, I might have to try this out with it.

Huh, I wasn't expecting such a nice uniform redness. I was imagining using red to dye an image onto the disc, but I probably would have told you the same thing if I knew it was to be all red, and stand corrected. That looks like it would certainly be easier to find in schule. Not easy to find in general, but easier than the OG color.

I didnt read all responses, if this was answered allready, please forgive me.

- With a rather simple picture like your lettering ( very first post you did ), wouldnt it be possible to cut it out first and press the contact paper later, so that you dont cut your disc at all ?

- When removing the original prints, you said to use acetone first, only dripping it on the disc and wiping it off again. Is it better to use kitchen paper for the wiping off, or will this come out of real cloth towels when you wash them ?

Edit :

abcd said:
Completely off topic but did you get your username from these guys?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDMZAvf5gw

This is the first time for at least a year that i klick on some semi random youtube link and actualy like the music i hear ! Sounds like a great band :D Thanks for that !!

Yes, you can cut them out, put transfer tape over the cut out vinyl, peel off the backing and apply it to your disc. I think most people do it this way (including myself).

Paper towels are the way to go. I'm pretty sure it'll stain clothes, even after a wash. I don't do acetone though, I use lacquer thinner. It works well too, you just have to apply a little more force when you rub off the hot stamp. But on the plus side it evaporates so I don't have to worry about it sitting on the disc and doing any damage (if I blank a bunch of discs and them dye them later/forget about them).

This is all hearsay though, I'm a noob to dyeing discs...

Yeah, you can use a mask to apply your contact paper. Basically cutting it out away from the disc. That's how I do most of it now. I really don't even dye any more but when I was getting heavier into it and wasn't using my plotter for cuts, I'd cut it on a flat xacto cutting board and transfer it with some transfer paper.

Glad you enjoy the Acid Bath. I haven't listened to them in forever. Gonna have to throw it on my iphone and jam to it at work again.

Acid, just wanted to thank you again - this thread was a great help when I first got started with dyeing plastic. Great pictures, lots of detailed descriptions and steps, what to watch out for, all I can say is "thorough," a la Maude Lebowski.
Went from sure-handed exacto knives dyeing for me and my friends to a 36" plotter, dyeing for Strange Disc Sports, and sending customs out all over the place, all in a couple years!

Still in my bookmarks, so I hit it for the first time in a while, a nice bump for a great tutorial.

Glad you got something out of it :)
I haven't dyed anything in a good while. I actually just sold all my Rit packets, pans, and containers here on the forum. Shipped em off today.
While I'd love to throw something elaborating how to go about it with a plotter, I don't have the time or patience. I still use my plotter, but I mainly only do stuff for friends now. No dyes, just stickers and t-shirts. The plotter's paid for itself, but dyes... man that takes a lot out of me. And for only a few extra bucks. It's a fine line of what to charge vs what people are willing to actually pay. I just came to the acceptance that it's really difficult to make it worth my time.

I donated probably about 10 times more than what I've pulled in for dye sales. Local tourneys I'd donate 2-5 discs. I'd get maybe one person interested in custom work and then never get an email back after the first inquiry.
Hell, I barely even play disc golf any more. 1) It's too damn hot. 2) I lost a lot of my will to even want to play, and 3) I've been putting a lot of time into fixing up my motorcycle to get ready to sell it. That's my new passion. Lol.
Gettin on that hog and cruiiiiiiisin.

Thanks Acid.

Here's my results from my first dye attempt.
vy7ixg.jpg

The bleeding was done on purpose after the fact. The initial dye itself was super clean except in two corners where it bled under the contact paper. So, to reduce the visibility of the two bleeding marks, I decided to create a glow effect everywhere with a paintbrush and some dye.

I'm okay with it.

A nice way on how to dye a disc. Your attempt to produce a good product somehow showed off an art and that's what I've been looking for. Those steps are great!

Latest posts