• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Adding distance to you drives

Good article/videos... this is one thing that I need major improvements within my game.

The reach back and the use of the hyzer flip have added about 75 to 100 feet to my distance. But the reach back has what made the real difference. Reigning world champ Avery Jenkins reaches way back. This more than anything has helped my distance and accuracy. I find it real hard to OTA when I do this.

Last edited:
Good article, I'd like to add that I've been watching them crazy Swedes throw, I like the fact that they get more shoulder into the throw, I've always felt like the standard American reach back method was a little stiff for my liking

Good article, I'd like to add that I've been watching them crazy Swedes throw, I like the fact that they get more shoulder into the throw, I've always felt like the standard American reach back method was a little stiff for my liking

Where have you watched these loco Swedes throw. Online, whats the link

After watching that Avery vid for the first time, I tried replicating his throw and ended up throwing my arm out of the socket and tearing my rotator cuff on the first try.....damn you Avery, Damn you to hell!

Where have you watched these loco Swedes throw. Online, whats the link

This has a nice comparison b/w Avery and Linus (Swedish name), notice how the Swedes use that left arm/shoulder more, giving them more leverage.

This has a nice comparison b/w Avery and Linus (Swedish name), notice how the Swedes use that left arm/shoulder more, giving them more leverage.

Damn it you beat me to it......

Though as someone who throws in this style i have to say that (imo) it just feels smoother and i can get as much power and snap as with the "american" style but with less effort.

Damn it you beat me to it......

Though as someone who throws in this style i have to say that (imo) it just feels smoother and i can get as much power and snap as with the "american" style but with less effort.

I learned from you wise master.

Okay all....

I am a newbie, so bare with me. But I am getting hugely frustrated with quotes such as

"The average person can get to the 250 to 350 foot range with whatever technique that they try..."

I am not a weakling, or a total inept.... and even though I have only been really trying to seriously learn for about a month and a half.... I still am averaging 50 - 100 drives a week, and I still have never thrown over 180. I go to a local elementary school on the weekend and pace off the yardage and mark it with little flags... the bulk of my drives (slow mo X step RHRB) go about 160' and a few will hit 170. I have hit 180 twice.

So.... if the average guy can just pound out 250 like it is nothing..... what am I doing wrong??????

Who are you playing with? I mean how good are they? How'd you hear about dg?
It's not uncommon, my group just recently added two players in the same situation. My brother just had his "click" the other day and is now driving 250. It also helps he gets one on one instruction.
Oh, if your from my area you can join us- the uneven number has led to an advantage playing Cali... Sorry Hans;)

So.... if the average guy can just pound out 250 like it is nothing..... what am I doing wrong??????

No offense, but probably a lot. Without seeing you throw it's hard to say specifically though. What discs are you throwing and how do they fly? Also, what grip are you using?

What disc are you using? I would recommend something like a leopard or impact...maybe even a mid like a meteor or something. Any of them around 165 in weight.

If you're already using a disc like that then there could be a number of other issues to work out.

my favorite disc to throw so far is a Valkyrie. I have a Champ and a DX... I like them both. They are the ones that consistently go over 160... I think my grip is ok... it is the four fingers underneath tight (not fanned out).... I might be holding it too tight.... so far I have a tendency to release a little on the hyzer side, but it is flattening out.... I think my largest problem is that I release too high... I am probably only getting one out of every four throws or so to fly in the 10 - 20 feet off the ground range.... I threw a really cool Monarch the other day about 5 feet off the ground and it hit at about 175 or so.... that was cool.... but still not 250

Get a Comet, use it, then go back to the Valk when you can control the nose angles better.

S flight glides farther than C, or J, in most cases.

In other words, flipping is good, as long as it comes back. :D

I'd guess you might have the problem most people have when they start: nose up and too high. Do your discs stall in the air and then drop to the left? If that is so, I'd recommend trying to do 2 things: Try to throw the disc on a low line that is no higher than 10' at the apex, and bend your wrist so that the disc is flat or even slightly nose down at release. If I guessed correctly, that should help you a lot.