• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc selection and throw characteristics for max distance

RAHfrolfer

Bogey Member
I was wondering what people find helps gain distance. I've been throwing a lot of overstable plastic, I think because it naturally fixes any issues with angle control I have and gives more consistent shots. I'm working on focusing more on angle control. I tend to drive pretty low straight drives and get pretty good distance (up to about 370'). I've been trying to throw some less stable plastic but given my predilection for lower height drives, understable discs tend to turn and burn which can be frustrating. I'm trying to work on higher height throws with less stable discs.
I'm wondering what discs and throw characteristics result in the most distance for players on here?

My furthest measured throws have been over 50 feet high and with something sort of understable with high glide in the low 170g like a discraft flash or an dga rogue or a surge or a beat up wraith, the goal is to keep the disc turning through the apex of the flight so that it's nose down and slightly turned over for the back half of the flight so when it fades back it glides out forward instead of dumping. I can throw flat golf lines 450s and if I use the same wraiths or forces or hurricanes I use for golf lines for distance shots they usually come up short of where my more understable discs land by 50-100 feet. The accuracy diminishes quickly with the understable distance line though so it's not super useful unless it's wide open.

The way to test the shot shape to find what height works best for your arm speed is to pay close attention to the back half of the flight if the disc dumps out of the air instead of pushing forward while fading either the disc is too stable, the wind is unfavorable in the direction you threw or you threw it too high. You can repeat this if you have consistent wind and dial in what the shot shape is supposed to look like. I like to drive a couple hard golf lines as reference in a field then do my distance lines over them.

Biggest thing that gains immediately distance though is a good wind read. Sometimes it's just unfavorable for a distance shot shape in the direction you want to throw and a golf line will go further.

Don't ask me, haven't thrown over 300 feet on flat ground since I turned 40. I've resorted to 150g discs for my old man/not athletically talented body.

Any throw that requires an actual line, I'll throw low hyzer flips (depends on the shape etc) if I need to get some distance.

For absolute max distance, I throw whatever that holds a steady turn most of the flight, with a decent amount of height. BH I tend to go understandable with some more hyzer, compared to my FH where I like to release close to flat.

I was wondering what people find helps gain distance. I've been throwing a lot of overstable plastic, I think because it naturally fixes any issues with angle control I have and gives more consistent shots. I'm working on focusing more on angle control. I tend to drive pretty low straight drives and get pretty good distance (up to about 370'). I've been trying to throw some less stable plastic but given my predilection for lower height drives, understable discs tend to turn and burn which can be frustrating. I'm trying to work on higher height throws with less stable discs.
I'm wondering what discs and throw characteristics result in the most distance for players on here?
I max at 265-275', and I use mostly under-stable, light weight discs to get that far (145-150g Terns, Fission Waves, Katana, and Shryke). But, the harder/faster you throw, especially if not great form, the more likely these will flip into the ground/rollers on you. You would probably have to hyzer under-stable discs, and find the correct angle where they flip up to flat, run, and glide. Also, if you can turn them enough, maybe you get the fade at the end to carry you even further (instead of left, for RHBH)? A lot of slow armed throwers say a Mamba is their longest disc, but they probably have to hyzer it, and it can be a difficult disc to consistently land where you want it! At 370', I would not say you have a slow arm?! Shryke is 13/6/-1/2, making it reasonably stable, but still a distance bomber (for the biggest distance, you want the right speed, but also a big glide number). I would think a slightly lighter Shryke would be something you could bomb a long ways - others know? On Innova F2 Friday, try something like getting 3 F2 Shrykes (or whatever F2 distance bomber you feel will work best for you), at maybe 150g, 155g, and 160g (also, whatever weights you think will give you what you are searching for), and fire them up at a practice field! If you go DX plastic, the F2 discs are only $6 each, and using an F2 Friday code, you get a free disc to offset the $6 cost of shipping! But, as I throw further, I use less and less DX - I think Pro plastic is still only $8 each, and trying to remember: GStar $10, Star $12, Champion $11 (or close)? Anyways, good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:
Seems like pros throwing max distance put some height on their throws, but I am not that advanced yet. My best distance comes flat, maybe 5-10' off the ground all the way. Height, I think needs to be the throw carrying a slight upward trajectory, but the nose still down??? Then, if you just want to see the disc go as far as possible, throw off the tallest building you can find (stealing that line from someone on this forum), and I'll add, with strong wind at your back!

Seems like pros throwing max distance put some height on their throws, but I am not that advanced yet. My best distance comes flat, maybe 5-10' off the ground all the way. Height, I think needs to be the throw carrying a slight upward trajectory, but the nose still down??? Then, if you just want to see the disc go as far as possible, throw off the tallest building you can find (stealing that line from someone on this forum), and I'll add, with strong wind at your back!

Height helps with disc selection and very very good nose control.

But IIRC, Feldberg won a distance comp one year without throwing the big distance line, but basically just crushed a normal golf shot.

Flippy discs will force you to work on release angle, but knowing when to use them feels pretty key. If the wind is OK and it's better to end up on the rt (rhbh), then it is often a good bet—worth having In the bag.

I think that kind of distance line comes into play on very specific shots with specific discs. You can throw an understable driver high on a hyzer and make it flip at its apex point early into the flight. The turned over disc will then glide down, still keeping its speed but just losing height really slowly. This kind of line is IMO only achievable with drivers and hitting it just right is really hard. If you watch the video I linked you can see how much the distance differs from shot to shot as GG only hits the optimal delta between height and hyzer angle on some shots. If you dont get enough speed on your discs, it will be difficult to make a driver flip in the way GG can do it. I can get that line with a 160g beat-in Teebird and a really old champ sidewinder and get it to about 400 feet as a benchmark.

I picked you a time stamp where you can see the flight I described. It is not an optimal line but you can see how the disc reaches its apex and then flips to glide down:

Don't ask me, haven't thrown over 300 feet on flat ground since I turned 40. I've resorted to 150g discs for my old man/not athletically talented body.
Man, I bought some 150g Fission Photons and these things absolutely bomb AND work in wind. I do live in Colorado so this would likely be different at lower elevation.

I admit I have become something of an MVP shill, but something about the Fission discs in light weight have the benefits of weighing less, but none/little of the downsides.

I think GG is the best person to look at for this since he is normal sized. He is throwing super domey, `understable for him` ( think katanas, wraiths ) plastic on very high hyzerflips out to the left. Distance lines are really about having the disc be nose down, through the apex, on the correct angle that will allow you to maximize turn, while also allowing for the eventual forward fade.

Last edited: