• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should my distance drivers go farther?

RAHfrolfer

Bogey Member
I've been playing since this past July, mainly working on drives and putts. I've got my distance up to 300 feet pretty comfortably. My longest is about 350. Here is the catch, I don't see a huge difference between the distance I get out of many of my mids and fairway drivers. For instance, I can get about 280 comfortably with something like a kataplast kaxe (6,4,0,3) or a westside gatekeeper ( 4,5,0,2) but a proper fairway driver or distance driver i need to work pretty hard to get it over 300'. Is this normal? I thought it might have to do with a change in my nose angle turning up when I change to a power grip with faster discs. Focusing on keeping my nose angle low did help my distance come easier but it seemed to help my mids the most. Is it normal to have such a small difference in distance between mids and distance drivers when throwing at this distance?

Thanks for your input in advance.

I've been playing since this past July, mainly working on drives and putts. I've got my distance up to 300 feet pretty comfortably. My longest is about 350. Here is the catch, I don't see a huge difference between the distance I get out of many of my mids and fairway drivers. For instance, I can get about 280 comfortably with something like a kataplast kaxe (6,4,0,3) or a westside gatekeeper ( 4,5,0,2) but a proper fairway driver or distance driver i need to work pretty hard to get it over 300'. Is this normal? I thought it might have to do with a change in my nose angle turning up when I change to a power grip with faster discs. Focusing on keeping my nose angle low did help my distance come easier but it seemed to help my mids the most. Is it normal to have such a small difference in distance between mids and distance drivers when throwing at this distance?

I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. In order to get your high speed stuff to go farther, you need to throw at a higher speed. And that comes with time as your form improves. Slow is smooth, smooth is far.

That's pretty much exactly how it goes until you get more speed in your swing. If by work hard you mean throw it on anhyzer you're most likely throwing with some nose up and a combination of release speed too low for the disc wing shape.

What type of grip are you throwing your mids and fairways with?

That is totally normal, as you develop more power you will see more distance separation between disc speeds. Do yourself a favor and kick your distance drivers out of the bag. If I could go back I wouldn't have thrown anything faster than a Valkyrie until I was hitting 350 consistently.

Have a read of this sticky thread:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117477

Unless you got cannon for an arm, i would just stick to putters, mids and low speed fairways. Unless you only play huge open courses, you'll rarely need them anyways (of course there'll be some exceptions).

I wish i would've gotten rid of my drivers in the beginning, would've teached me to throw a BH much quicker

Thanks for the replies.
I have been doing a lot of exactly what everyone here recommends, sticking mainly with fairways and under.
Something I was thinking about was how high I am throwing everything. I seem to be using a low height throw for just about everything, maybe working on throwing my distance drivers higher? Also, I find less stable distance drivers hard to control and so tend to favour fairly overstable distance drivers. I think I'm going to experiment with throwing less stable distance drivers higher and see if I can get more distance that way.

Thanks for the replies.
I have been doing a lot of exactly what everyone here recommends, sticking mainly with fairways and under.
Something I was thinking about was how high I am throwing everything. I seem to be using a low height throw for just about everything, maybe working on throwing my distance drivers higher? Also, I find less stable distance drivers hard to control and so tend to favour fairly overstable distance drivers. I think I'm going to experiment with throwing less stable distance drivers higher and see if I can get more distance that way.

Getting to learn more and more understable discs is very beneficial for your game! And with our arm speed, you'll definitely see some distance gains. Getting a full flight out of the disc is the key really.

Nose angle can be a huge factor to. My Deputy (putter) seems to glide forever if i hyzer flip it, with some height on it. If i do the same with my grace, im fading out at 250.

Poorly worded by me. Putters seems to require some nose up angle, to get some distance. ( I might be wrong)

Yes, it's not unusual to not gain much distance as we move up in speed once you have reached the effective speed/spin that's optimal for your throw.
Nose angle is more sensitive the faster the disc, so that is often also a factor. Its not uncommon for peoples longest disc to be just faster than they can typically throw but a touch on the flippier side.

Putters can be thrown far nose down, they just don't punish nose up like faster discs. The longest putter throws are going to be high but still nose down so they are finishing forward. Nose up will keep putters from flipping, so nose up may go further if you are not able to keep the disc from turning over.

What type of grip are you throwing your mids and fairways with?

I'm using a fan grip on my mids. I use a power grip on my fairway and distance drivers.

I was experimenting with throwing higher today. I definitely think there is some room to throw higher given that my discs were still landing with speed and skipping. I've read that that suggests a higher throw could still travel farther.

I'm using a fan grip on my mids. I use a power grip on my fairway and distance drivers.

I was experimenting with throwing higher today. I definitely think there is some room to throw higher given that my discs were still landing with speed and skipping. I've read that that suggests a higher throw could still travel farther.

Playing with height can definitely help maximize your distance. It's kind of disc to disc and throw to throw and wind dependant. It can get squirrely with drivers and you may lose a lot of accuracy but the discs might go a lot further if you have the angles correct.

Most people throw between 45-55mph. All the youtube videos talking about getting 100ft of more distance is hogwash. Developing more fast twitch muscles takes years. Take it slow, and dont believe what you see online

Most people throw between 45-55mph. All the youtube videos talking about getting 100ft of more distance is hogwash. Developing more fast twitch muscles takes years. Take it slow, and dont believe what you see online
I agree that gaining 100' all at once, from one little change, is mostly hogwash/hype. I agree developing fast twitch muscle, and muscle memory, takes a while. But, I went from probably 100' max throw day one, quickly to 150', then 200', then gradually 225', 245', and now 265' max, in a total of 5 months playing. I hope by 1 year that I will be over 300'. But, I play or practice multiple days a week, regularly get video of my throw, study throwing technique, and work on improving my form/technique. Also, my gains include changing discs from a starter pack Leopard to light weight distance drivers, and correcting multiple technique/form mistakes along the way. Also, I am 54 years old, and not an athlete, so I could see guys like former baseball players, etc., maybe jumping even further even faster if they made multiple improvements in form. My son is 16, and day one he threw about 100' same as me, and with form work, and throwing just stand still, in even less than 5 months, playing just one day a week, he went to 275' max.

I agree that gaining 100' all at once, from one little change, is mostly hogwash/hype. I agree developing fast twitch muscle, and muscle memory, takes a while. But, I went from probably 100' max throw day one, quickly to 150', then 200', then gradually 225', 245', and now 265' max, in a total of 5 months playing. I hope by 1 year that I will be over 300'. But, I play or practice multiple days a week, regularly get video of my throw, study throwing technique, and work on improving my form/technique. Also, my gains include changing discs from a starter pack Leopard to light weight distance drivers, and correcting multiple technique/form mistakes along the way. Also, I am 54 years old, and not an athlete, so I could see guys like former baseball players, etc., maybe jumping even further even faster if they made multiple improvements in form. My son is 16, and day one he threw about 100' same as me, and with form work, and throwing just stand still, in even less than 5 months, playing just one day a week, he went to 275' max.

Congratulations on your improvements and i am so happy to hear that you have a son who plays too. I would have given anything to have my father play with me before he passed.

The average person who is throwing 50 mph with good technique can throw a little bit past 300ft. You and your son have been improving your technique and now achieving this. To get to 400 you'll have to continue to work on form and develop a faster arm speed. It's physics.

There is only 1 way to gain 100 feet when you're struggling for distance.
Well, its 1 way with caveats.

The key to distance with low exit velocity is to have at least good enough form to have a level of spin control that you are able to replicate to start with.
And the knowledge/ability to throw nose down.
This partnered with the correct disc selection is 100 feet for your average golfer stuck at 300 feet.

I instantly push 400 when I get the nose down on 6 speed discs with my standard 300 foot throw.

The higher the disc speed, to take this back to the topic start, the more critical the nose angle is on the disc. Putters are designed to float and glide like a Cesna airplane, nice and glidey, can go kinda fast, but glide.

You get into drivers, and were talking about turbo prop style airplanes where they can kinda glide, but the wing angle and speed is more important to stay up.

Drag coefficients on a nose up disc are insane especially when the wing becomes more in the case of streamline, ala, designed for speed, vs a low speed glide disc. This is why ultimate's are so easy to throw, but turn understable when oversped in the throw.

So when we look at a disc designed to punch through the air, and a tiny little bit of that rim underneath is showing, it creates turbulence inside the bottom of the flight plate and you get massive drag.

We'll see all that when I get the wind tunnel done and I'm able to show this on video for everyone.

This stuff is all really basic flight dynamics. Drag is drag. And with how discs fly, drag stalls a disc, and a disc is going to fall in the easiest direction.

A nose down disc is more likely to push forward and go further simply from this, not necessarily from arm speed. But if you're talking elite distance, then yes. you need the speed.

Simons video on speed/disc is missleading to that point because it demonstrates that the disc will go further as designed, but also demonstrates that its speed dependent and skill dependent. he's able to throw discs correctly.
Were all not Simon. So that 1° of nose angle we might throw with can be the difference between a 10 speed driver going 300 feet and 450 feet.
How do I know that?
Cause when I throw bigger discs properly, I'm pushing 450-480.
When I get my normal throw. I have hyzer stalls at 320 max. And its just that LITTLE bit of nose angle that is the difference.

So, do faster discs go further?
Yes, they are designed to, when thrown properly at the correct angle and the designed speed.
Should you throw faster discs?
No.
You're really hurting your game if you think they are helping you.

There are situations for them, but you're more likely to make an error with a fast disc than you are with a slow disc.

Latest posts