• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advantages and Disadvantages of 150 class

lsf21

Par Member
So I have one 150 class disc and I like it quite a bit. I got it on accident and wondered if 150 class discs are good for beginners? or what.

Basically I want to know why one would want a 150 class disc.

For a beginner:

Pros -
Throw farther!
Learn how not to torque a disc over as your arm speed increases
Learn the hyzer flip faster as the disc beats in
Great for downwind shots
More glide
Usually less stable finishes
Sometimes nice to have if you can't have a runup, limited arm swing
150 putters make great beach discs

Cons -
Affected by wind more so than heavier counterparts
lifespan not as long... get away from the sweetspot faster
Some harder to find in traditional brick and mortar stores
Often thought not to be as predictable as heavier guys

In my opinion, you should try throwing around the 165 - 169 area. I love this weight especially for some drivers (not midranges or putters). This is a great weight to learn lighter plastic, and still benefit from the added weight to aid in reliability.

Trey133 said:
For a beginner:

Pros -
Learn how not to torque a disc over as your arm speed increases

This is the main thing that will help development as a beginner. People that hate 150 class discs see this as a con.

Trey133 said:
Sometimes nice to have if you can't have a runup, limited arm swing

This is my favorite advantage. I carry 150 class putters for that exact reason.

I carry a 150 dx leo (have a whole stack of them in the trunk) for trouble spots with limited room, crazy hyzer flips even from a standstill, and high sharp annys. It also makes a good approach disc for my girly sidearm. I dont think I would play a round without this disc.

I also carry a 150 star valk for max D in up to moderate wind. super easy to flip up and tons of glide.

I have a 150 aviar that works it way in and out of the bag. It makes for some nice straight lines on longer putts and similar to the leo for getting out of tight spots, but really gets muscled by the wind.

I would say 150 class discs are way more useful than most people would give them credit for. The biggest con IMO is they can be so hard to find. A pro not mentioned yet is that when lost the 150'S are the only ones that seem to make it back home because no one wants to keep them! lol

I'll agree with everything said already. I carry a 150 class champ leopard that I use for shots with next to run up or limited arm swing. It's also a great disc to throw at reduced power and will still flip up to flat. I've tinkered with 150 class teebirds and found some that were suprisingly beefy for the weight and they didn't seem to glide much. I wouldn't mind trying out a 150 class sidewinder or even maybe a 150 class dx destroyer. I would imagine those fly forever.

I've got a few 150g R-Pro Boss's that are fun as hell to throw. They beat in quick but man do they fly far, especially with a tailwind.

Latest posts