• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice Don't Matter

NateDiscFlip

Double Eagle Member
Anyone out there that has the buddy who wants to be better, asks you for advice, and then complains about the information you are giving them?

As in, "Teach me how to change what I do, and don't give me advice about what you do."

It's too bad, but this buddy happens to be my older brother. He braggs me up about my ability to perform, but is extremely reluctant about taking any advice. As I can ONLY explain what I KNOW, and without being a mind reader....what can I tell him?

Worst yet, he will take constructive criticism from a player with less ability to execute the shot.

I like playing with the guy, but he gets frustrated when I am running him over in every category, he wants advice, and I painfully try to give it to him. Can't teach the old dog any new tricks...sucks!

Dude, you're his younger brother...
No one takes advice from their younger brother!

It's awesome that you want him to get better, but until he wises up and takes your advice, just let him be. He'll eventually come around!

yeah i have 2 younger brothers. they're ****ing morons.. only because i'm older then them!

I'd just play with him and let him absorb what you do... older bro's typically don't listen to younger bro's

He'll pick it up... let him find his own way and just have a good time!

Yep, my younger brother.
He was getting good at the end of last year- I had him on a one step and he was feeling good with putters off the tee. He got a gf and didn't play for a lil bit. A group of his work friends play and one can bomb 4-450 on anny flex shots. This style has rubbed off on him and now he's between styles. He's been in a slump and has been blaming me, saying that I keep changing my advice. I told him that it is learned in steps, and while he's throwing farther, he's regressed in form.
I feel really bad for him, it's tough to watch him on the tee and know it's about to go to the right, but he's pulled of a handfull of really good flex shots so I don't think he'll come back to the "proper" side.

I don't try to advise my younger brother. He wouldn't listen or he'd do the opppsite of what I told him!

I quit trying to help my brother play. He plays his game , and I play mine. The funny thing is , he only plays about every 3-6 months, and the complains that he is not getting any better at the sport.

I am the younger brother, so I don't even think about giving him advice because I know he won't listen.

i am reluctant to listen, with frisbee golf i really had learn on MY own then ask for tips, watch videos In slow motion. got it down its just my PUTTING ahh!

i am reluctant to listen, with frisbee golf i really had learn on MY own then ask for tips, watch videos In slow motion. got it down its just my PUTTING ahh!

is this english?

The dynamic between brothers in this situation will almost always be the same, regardless of which one that knows more is younger or older, it will take a very long time for him to accept advice from you and its not your fault, its a pride/ego thing , also when people are family you always assume theyre poking at you in some way even when they arent its a family thing, just let someone else help him out and if he doesnt take the advice, start playing him for money and he'll learn what his mistakes are twice as fast or he'll stop playing :)

My younger bro was the one who got me into the game. I repay his kindness by trying to put a hurtin' on him whenever we play. The competiveness never goes away.

I have three boys that all play. They're 14, 6 and 5. The 14 year-old is the one that thinks he knows best. My two youngest listen and play well. In fact, one day my 5 year-old (when he was still 4) shot a 78 while my 14 year-old shot an 81.

I have three boys that all play. They're 14, 6 and 5. The 14 year-old is the one that thinks he knows best. My two youngest listen and play well. In fact, one day my 5 year-old (when he was still 4) shot a 78 while my 14 year-old shot an 81.

that's awesome! i look forward to day my (now nine month old) daughter beats ME!

:thmbup:

I have never had an older brother ask me for advice about anything ever. Ive got 2 older bros 5 and 10 yrs older. Now that I think about it...it kind of pisses me off.

The onle bad vice is advice, I refrain from giving it unless they ask.

This. I always tell people when I bring them out the first time, I'm happy to help, but I'm also happy to shut up and let you try things your own way. If people ask for advice I'll give it, otherwise, especially with really new players, it seems best to just keep my mouth shut.

Latest posts