• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing with your dog ideas?

Professional treatment has a 4 digit price. Super glue is 3 dollars a bottle and hot water and pain are free.

Please be mindful and don't get complacent.

Complacency has nothing to do with it. I know most of the dog walkers at my home course, AND their dogs. I used to walk my dog at the park with them, and actually enjoying seeing my dog walking friends out at the course.

I'm with you that loose dogs shouldn't be on a disc golf course. But I would recommend professional treatment for a dog bite, lol.

If you are that concerned about being around dogs that just the thought makes you think of violence, maybe you shouldn't be in public parks. I have rarely seen a loose dog at my home course, but have been fortunate enough that the ones i see are friendly and always up for a pat on the head.
Lose dogs really shouldn't be in a public park, outside of designated roam areas. The problem I have with unleashed dogs is twofold. They happen to be the main reason leash laws exist.

1. They almost never are dogs that are trained well enough with total recall. There are enough stories of kids being bit by pet dogs that have never shown aggressive tendencies in public parks that once I notice a dog isn't trained well enough to stay near their owner/have total recall I will say something. Not for me, but for others. Especially if they are a disc golfer. I don't think the sport needs to give the public any reasons to remove courses from parks.

2. Most of the people I see with unleashed dogs are inattentive or just don't seem to care if their dog poops on the course. And dog poop is proven to be toxic to the environment due to the nutrient rich food we feed them. It is known to have harmful affects on local ecosystems. Not to mention it's really annoying to step in.

Of course, I've played with a random guy that had a marked service dog who while technically was leashed, the owner never held the leash. But the dog was never more than 10-15 feet from the owner and had perfect verbal recall. Dogs like that don't bother me, but we can all agree that is the exception and not the rule for loose dogs.

Edit: I am a dog person. Family has owned large dogs my whole life. Have had four Golden Retrievers over the years, and mine's instistence on fetching anything i throw is why she doesn't golf with me. But I still play most rounds with a buddy's large dog. She is just kept on a leash.

Lose dogs really shouldn't be in a public park, outside of designated roam areas. The problem I have with unleashed dogs is twofold. They happen to be the main reason leash laws exist.

1. They almost never are dogs that are trained well enough with total recall. There are enough stories of kids being bit by pet dogs that have never shown aggressive tendencies in public parks that once I notice a dog isn't trained well enough to stay near their owner/have total recall I will say something. Not for me, but for others. Especially if they are a disc golfer. I don't think the sport needs to give the public any reasons to remove courses from parks.

2. Most of the people I see with unleashed dogs are inattentive or just don't seem to care if their dog poops on the course. And dog poop is proven to be toxic to the environment due to the nutrient rich food we feed them. It is known to have harmful affects on local ecosystems. Not to mention it's really annoying to step in.

Of course, I've played with a random guy that had a marked service dog who while technically was leashed, the owner never held the leash. But the dog was never more than 10-15 feet from the owner and had perfect verbal recall. Dogs like that don't bother me, but we can all agree that is the exception and not the rule for loose dogs.

Yea, nobody would disagree.

I personally believe designated dog parks are the place most issues happen with dogs attacking dogs and dogs attacking people.

Can you please explain what you mean by total recall. I have never heard that term in relation to dogs.

Ah, like one of those big ones at Home Depot? Now there's a good idea, I think that'll work! Will try it...
And thank you for a civil reply!
ThrowaEnvy said it more clearly than I did.

I just used a freebie carabiner that someone brought back from a trade show or something. Wrap the leash around the tree or post and clip it to itself with the carabiner.

ThrowaEnvy said it more clearly than I did.

I just used a freebie carabiner that someone brought back from a trade show or something. Wrap the leash around the tree or post and clip it to itself with the carabiner.
Haha you know what mine are? (I think I'm down to my last one..)

They are off the trek water bottles from the 2000s haha. Remember them things? For the hard-core climber in all of us? For me the choice was simple, pay an extra 15c and get a beener.

So many people have dog stories, so here's mine: it happened two days ago.

I started my round and quickly caught up with a foursome and their dog. I had noticed the dog running around, but always close to them. When they waved me to play through (good citizens), the dog was closely leashed. Making small talk, I pet the dog (I like dogs) and played through. No problem. Not a fan of dogs on the course, but I was more bothered by the music playing from their Bluetooth speaker.

Hole #9 starts in a big field and I notice a guy with his dog up forward and off to the right, a couple of hundred feet away from the playing area. The dog is pretty far from him, but I pay it no mind. I'm circle's edge standing over a putt with water right behind the basket, and I hear the unmistakable panting of a dog running up from behind me. I stop, turn, and he's coming at me, tail wagging. OK, no problem. Holding my putter up in my left hand, I start petting with my right and talking to him. He's a very happy dog. Absolutely no problem. But the damned owner is some old guy who moseys over from a distance, and I swear I'm making small talk with the dog for 2 minutes.

The guy arrives, says nothing, takes out the retractable leash - and that's when the trouble starts. The dog starts barking, then growling, then nipping while the guy fumbles with the leash. I end up having to get the dog by the collar so he can attach it - and my little friend has become Cujo. I step away because he's leashed, and the guy starts walking (dragging) him away. I turn back to my putt AND FEEL AN F*ING NIP ON THE BACK OF MY LEG. From a leashed dog that the owner can't control.

He finally pulls the dog away, says nothing. I turn back to my game. I miss the putt. The only saving grace is I didn't airmail it past the basket into the water. Par. I don't blame the dog - I blame the guy. Dick.

Kinda reminds me... there was a big job doing a long service to a house and then the house wiring. So lots of work there, they werent happy with their current contractor being way low on the bid and high on the first bill.

One of their dogs didn't like my little black 4 legged buddy, it was jumping on the side of my van (which is a little ragged) trying to attack him, I had to ask them to stop it from scratching the door up worse. They're lucky that it's old and got a little damage already... but really?! You don't see that as something to stop or correct immediately.

I highballed that quote and have no interest in taking any chances with some ass hole dog like that. Chances are good the owners were like their dog. A PIA.

My new guy isn't quite as easy to leave off leash at the park, he's a twit on leash because he doesn't like it, so we play at home a lot more than the public park. He's too big of a distraction, though luckily just to me so the crowd doesn't mind, they like the "handicap" when I have him.

I just moved to a new area and since I don't know any players, I want to take my dog (Buck). He loves going and he is pretty well trained....but as soon as I throw, he is off and running because he is a frisbee chasin' dog. That's fine on an empty wooded course, but I don't want to be that guy with the loose annoying dog on the course.
What do you guys do? I tried tying him to my bag, but he's too strong....some courses do have a hook on the Tee sign pole, but most courses don't. Any ideas?

BTW he can be a valuable part of my game. A while ago on a 380 uphill hole, I yanked my up-shot into a bunch of sticker bushes 30 ft to the right of the basket. That's pretty much an automatic Bogie. So I'm looking everywhere in the thicket and can't find the disc. Buck comes over and leads me over to the basket....where there is my disc laying right under the basket! Easy Par! 😂 Thank you boy! So I don't know exactly where the rules stand on this, but I could probably beat anybody if I could use Buck as my caddy.. View attachment 321671
Take a tent stake or a yard stake for dogs.

Recall can be pretty easy to teach, but you should also be in the habit of daily walks, which seems like the fundamental training step.

If the dog is food motivated, find the thing it really loves. The command is usually "come", but you can play hide and seek. You may have to start with short distances at first, but give the command then give the high value reward. Start surprising the dog by giving the come command, and always have the reward. You can often anchor the command in a couple of days. Next take it to a park. Let the dog off, then give the come command. Reward and back on leash for a while. Rinse repeat. Should work so that the command is more powerful than the prey drive. Soon you'll be able to command the dog back if it runs off.