• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice for tournaments

enragedmullet

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I haven't played a tournament in five years, and that was the first one I played. Headed to the Maine players tournament in Westfield on Sunday - Any sage wisdom out there to get me back in the mindset?

If you have yahoos on your card, and it's likely you will, tune them out.

Play your game, throw your shot, don't worry about how anyone else attack's the hole. You know what works best for you and that's what you need to do.

Bring more towels and socks than you thought you'd need, and an extra pair of shoes seldom hurts.

A fresh pair of socks for round 2 is so damn nice. I sweat quite a bit, so I even change my shirt usually.

I also like to pack my own lunch. Something kind of light like a nice turkey sandwich and a small salad or something. That way I don't have to leave the site and hustle back. Gives you more time to relax and rest.

In addition to extra sox and shoes...

This time of year, ability to be comfortable all day long helps.
Maine's likely to have a bit of a chill in the morning, and warm in the afternoon.
I recommend convertible pants if you got 'em. Or wear long pants for dRd 1, and change into shorts for rd 2.

Plan on having someplace to stash a hoodie if it gets too warm to keep it on during the end of rd 1.

Pack a lunch unless its provided. Its usually a good idea not to leave the course area if you don't have to. You never know what may happen to delay your return and make you late for the second round.

Agree with the socks/shoes. Letting your feet dry out between rounds and having fresh socks at leas(and fresh shoes if you have them)definitely helps with the wear and tear the feet take during a long tourney day.

Don't take any putts for granted...

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the replies! DEFINITELY going to take some extra socks, that's something I wouldn't have thought of! Lunch is provided, but I may bring something just in case- and thanks moose33, I'll try to make that my mantra!

Be positive. You are responsible for your own mindset and no one else's. If someone else on your card is being a Debbie Downer - let them be a Debbie Downer and don't their little rain cloud of self pity ruin your game. Even if you have a crappy round insist on having a good time no matter what.

Awesome, thanks for the replies! DEFINITELY going to take some extra socks, that's something I wouldn't have thought of! Lunch is provided, but I may bring something just in case- and thanks moose33, I'll try to make that my mantra!

I would say definitely bring your own food. Even if just a power bar or something. I haven't played very many tournaments but provided lunch can run the gambit from inedible and not enough of it even if I wanted to eat it, to wow that was great and so much left over. Better to have a few granola bars and an apple in your bag you don't eat than feeling hungry 1/2 way through the second round. AND lots of water.

Most of all remind yourself watching the disc fly is awesome and fun... have fun one shot at a time.

Booze in a hydroflask. Fire crackers or perhaps an air horn to keep things lively. People hate to play with me.

Nothing prepares me more then putting in the practice weeks before a tournament. This is the only way I can feel confident while playing. If I do play badly I try to realize that it was just not my day and understand that there will be other days where my hand eye coordination is keen and all the breaks will fall my way. Being able to overcome a bad round seems to be the hardest part of the game for me. Smarter practice seems to be the only cure.

Don't think about your upcoming shot while waiting for others to throw. You don't need more than your usual 30 seconds or so when it's actually your turn.

Don't try to focus through the whole event - when you are waiting, give your mind a break and think about non-disc golf stuff. Turn on the focus when it's your shot, then turn it off until your next shot.

Conserve your mental energy the same way you do physical energy. You wouldn't want to run in place the entire event; you'd be exhausted at the end.

(these are things I have been trying to pay attention to this year, and it has helped me stay in the right spot mentally more often)

Latest posts