• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on playing Open for first time.

AzteC

Eagle Member
So I've been playing tournaments for about 2 years, and this weekend, I decided to make the jump to open. I feel like my putting inside 40 feet has REALLY come together and I feel comfortable at the range. I don't have huge distance, but the course doesn't require that much. Anyways, I just know on the first hole or 2 I'm going to get some nerves but I know I just gotta get through that. I'm going to be playing against Tommy Eckman, Max Nichols, and Nick Newton. All really solid players.
any other advice?
Thanks.

It may be helpful if you could have a caddie.....someone who you play with on a regular basis. I have found that when I play on a card with a buddie it relaxes me and I usually play better.

Play YOUR game. Nothing else matters.

^^This. When I began playing open, I thought I had to birdie everything to compete. Me pushing to get birdies led to mistakes when I should have just played my game and picked up birdies when I had the opportunity.

It's the same game regardless of what division you're in. Just relax and treat it like all of your previous tourney days.

1.) Play your own game
2.) Play against the course not other players
3.) If you have a bad hole or shot try to leave it in the past( dont get angry or upset). If it helps smile and laugh it off.
4.) Read the rules and have a rule book.
5.) Have fun.

Review the rulebook and tournament guide, practice your course etiquette.....repeat.

Don't be an a** to the lower division/less experienced players. We have a lot of guys with a superiority complex around here.

I'm not an open player, but I read alot. lol... Walk the course backwards, allows you to see different lines, etc. Play the course with a putter so you can range your shots. Know when to go for birds or just layup. Check the wind forecast and make sure to have a few extra discs in case of strong winds. Good luck!

Battle at Brengle! Way to step up. Good luck. Stop by the shop when you're warming up.

Get your breathing under control before the round starts, get your breathing in sync with your throws and putts. Slow down, take your time, don't be a hero. Don't let indecision get you on the tee pad, if you do find your self unable to make a decision (throwing style or disc selection) go with the safe choice to start out. When the juices start flowing, then take more risk for the birdies. You cant win the tournament on the first hole, but you can lose a tournament on the first hole.

Don't shoulder bump your fellow cardmates and walk into their line of sight while they're attempting to throw, no matter how bad you just shanked your last shot.

Yeah.... I saw a few rough rounds out there. But Chris Shotwell killed it! I had my 1st 1000 rated round, and then went on to finish 2nd place again in advanced for the 4th time. Always the bridesmaid... so many missed putts. Ugh.

Latest posts