• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aerobie Epic. Thoughts?

Yeah, I didnt like all the flipping play it got OH. The Flick when thumbered just goes up rotating left, flips upside down then glides forward and to the right (RHthumb). I know you can tune the Epic, but when it lands from way up in the air, it will be off a bit.

It is fun to throw the double barrel roll with it and have people wonder what in the world that was. Other than that...why not just throw a Champ firebird OH? Much more reliable and accurate.

I threw one a couple times. Once RHBH, then 2-3 times overhand. It flew like I threw it with my feet...

I wouldn't recommend one to a friend, certainly.

I have an Epic. Never used it on the course but threw it alot on the practice field when I got it. It is very inconsistent when I threw it backhand. Sometimes it would turnover, sometimes it wouldn't level out. But when I did get a perfect throw, the Epic did go farther than my other discs. It just didn't happen very often. I threw it overhand a little, tuned it some, and then gave up on it. I have an Aerobie Ring also. That thing is fun to toss but takes a while to get the hang of it. We got pretty good at toss and catch at about 400 feet.

I've thrown one, and its ok for OH; but you can get the same if not better results OH with a Flick and have something even more usefull in other throws.

I agree with Techohic. I definitely get better results with my Flick or 11x Firebird. But I have a friend that throws a Flick as far as I can, but then can bomb the Epic 100 feet past his Flick OH shot. :confused:

If you have the time to tune it and work with it,it can be your best friend, but like i said if you have the time. If you dont have the time throw it off a cliff.

I can get mine to do the full barrel roll and flatten out like a RHBH shot. My furthest throw with it was around 450ft. I used it for wide open distance holes for a while, but the amount of power i needed to put into it started hurting my arm. I still use it if I need it or my arm is feeling good, but I am trying to learn other ways to get better distance because who knows how long the Epic will remain a legal disc for tournament play.

I agree with Techohic. I definitely get better results with my Flick or 11x Firebird. But I have a friend that throws a Flick as far as I can, but then can bomb the Epic 100 feet past his Flick OH shot. :confused:

Is he able to repeat it consistantly?

I had a couple of "wow" throws with mine but I find it hard to tune when you dont know what the impac of the landing actually did to it. Did it bend the wing up or down?

The place where I use OH has a lot to do with it I am sure; as I have to go way up and over obstacles; so it would be crashing down from at least 300' high in the air.

Its the only disc that ends up actually flying horizontally from a thumber release. The first time I did this I was only and discovered it by accident. I was bh/fh about 330' at the time and the Epic went well over 400' for me, so I was pretty shocked. I couldn't get good repeatability out of it though, so I moved on. That's all that is special about the Epic--it does that one crazy shot. After that its below average on every other application.

The Aerobie Epic is the best disc ever. I can throw that thing 400 feet in a straight line everytime.

However I really like you and will sell it to you for cheap!

The Aerobie Epic is the best disc ever. I can throw that thing 400 feet in a straight line everytime.

However I really like you and will sell it to you for cheap!

I couldn't give mine away, after 4 months someone from this site bought it off me, a week later I wished I had it back, but now I have come to my senses and I am glad it's gone.

If no one else has mentioned it, the Epic is also a floater disc.

"And do you know what else floats?"

"a piece of wood? A witch?"

"No. A turd!"

I love my Epic, but I have a really weak OH. It's heavier, thus better in the wind over the trees here than my 150 Flick.

I've thrown it BH just to see and it's really overstable for me. I gave up on that after a few throws. :wall:

I think the tuning thing is a real gimmick. You bend it one way and it is super understable, bend it the other way and it is super overstable. That is not something that I want in a disc. As it is not going to hold any kind of tune you may put on it after it hits a tree.

Just this one time though, for you, I would trade my new Epic for your old beat up aviar!

You have to take into account where I say "the place where I use OH" is off a hill.

small mountain :p

lets settle this. If the hole is 400 feet then it may have 75-100 feet of elevation. A thrown disc may hit 80-100 feet. That means the disc would have dropped from 200 feet max.

For it to fall 300 feet there would have to be a 150 foot elevation change and you would have to throw it straight up, so once again I have to be on Team Vegan Ray, but doubters get proved wrong on this site, so get out the video camera and give us details.