• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aerobie Epic

CarpeDiem

Par Member
Any of you throw this disc? Andif you do, how? i started off throwing it with a normal backhand power grip, it worked fine, around 300-325ft. But after a while i coulnd throw it that way, or anyway for that matter.

someone told me, and i think i even saw a video of it, that thumbing the disc is the way to go. ya know 500+. But when i do it turns over real nice then drops like a brick straight down. No leveling out and continuing on a normal flight pattern. any sugestions :confused:

definitely use it as an overhand disc. i haven't mastered this by any means, but i can throw it 250-275 using the thumber. you definitely need to throw it more vertical than horizontal so it has room to work. also make sure you really snap the disc on the release and follow through all the way. when all of those come together i can get it out there pretty far using the thumber

I use the epic once in a while. If you throw it into a head wind it, almost immediately, does the "barrel roll" that the epic is known for. I only use it for a genuine 12:00 to 6:00 head wind, otherwise the wind will carry it one way or the other while it is sideways in the air. I throw it thumber with my thumb on the skinniest part of the rim.

Got some of my longest backhand throws with the Epic but it is very inconsistent. I've never used it on the course but it is fun to throw on the practice field.

Got some of my longest backhand throws with the Epic but it is very inconsistent. I've never used it on the course but it is fun to throw on the practice field.

yeah looks like thats all im gunna be using it for. why did i spend money on it :doh:

They're just "misunderstood" discs! And can do things no other disc(s) can...IFF you "learn" them.
Read my articles in FDM and DG'er magazines to accelerate your understanding of them.

Karl

yes it has the off set rim which uses centrifugal force to make the disc fly further. Or thats the idea anyways.

41BTMTAQGCL._AA280_.jpg

Don't they need to be "tuned" to work well?

It floats if you are near water and not sure what disc you want to lose.

That's what I used mine for. First time I tried it for that was a long water hole I usually went around. Had given up on the Epic, so I thought I might try it over the water. Started out nice, gliding along, then went into it's barrel roll, then dropped. But, it hit the water upside down, skimmed then flew back up and finished it's roll before coming to a stop just on the other side of the pond. Only used it for overhands out of blind bushes and trees after that

If you throw overhand for distance and you're not concerned about accuracy...this may be the disc for you. However most of the time accuracy is desired so this disc isn't much use.

It is very cool to see one thrown and barrel roll a few times before flattening out 100+ feet in the air then making a nice S curve before plummeting downward.

barrel roll is cool looking but has to be thrown a weird angles and tunned the correct way...

so i have one for trade if anyone wants to learn all those things to gain a few feet when it isn't windy?

To get the barrel roll, it doesn't need to be thrown at "weird angles" or tuned the correct way. I get it by throwing the same way I normally do with any thumber or tomahawk. Simply throw it harder & higher than you think you need to. The tuning part just helps it flatten out and glide after the roll rather than dive into the ground.

Yes, similar to an airplane. It'll roll than flatten & glide like a normal disc IF you get enough on it.

These still aren't PDGA approved, right?

Yes, they are approved.
As I understand it, they would not meet the present requirements, but because it was already approved, it was grandfathered in.

Latest posts