• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aerobie rings for disc golf

I remember getting one of those when I was a kid. It was funny cause you would just give it a nice smooth toss and it would fly 300'. Friend of mine and I were actually playing catch from 300' away.

I wouldnt worry about it getting beat up because really; you shouldnt be trying to power it that much.

I think because it is actually a ring, not a disc.

As far as any other disc, there could be a variety of diffferent reasons dependin on what you are talking about.

You can throw them a mile for sure if you throw them right

freaking cheaters. CHEATERS!!! How dare you people call yourselves discers while you allow people to sully our courses with rings and soccer balls. Have you never heard of a rule book before? :|

:p

Less wind.

Erin is actually a good friend of mine and there was less wind the day he broke the record than there was the day the old record was set. He has a amazing arm. If he shows up to dubs you wanna draw his card! That is the record for throwing ANYTHING by the way. Its just crazy!

These fly sooo far, but I wouldn't recomend using them on the course because I have found 2 hanging from trees and got them both down after a lot of stick throwing. They almost always will get stuck on limbs and such due to it being a ring.

It seems to me if it flies like a disc (gyroscopic stability, lift) and is thrown with just your arm power, what valid reason is there to exclude it? It's not like it's a ball or a wing or something like that. Is it just to make the game harder by excluding the best-flying disc in the world?

The other example is the Turbo Putt disc. Apparently it's great for turbo putting -- why exclude it? Doesn't it basically fly the same as other putters you would turbo putt with?

I'm not trying to be a pain; I wondered this when I first started and still don't know the answer.

You have to have standards. Its like why not have a corked bat in baseball. Or why not bring formula cars to run a nascar race?

You have to have standards. Its like why not have a corked bat in baseball. Or why not bring formula cars to run a nascar race?

I was having trouble thinking of a good answer to his question, and I think the corked bat is fantastic analogy.

though the turbo putter still gets me. I can see how the flight patterns of an Areobie are different from normal discs, but the turbo putter just seems like a different argument. I don't really care either way, but it is curious.

hell, on that note... i played a round with a guy that used a soccer ball to play

soccer golf, also known as soolf? or foolf (football golf) hmm.

this sounds like crazy good idea. probably popular in football' countries like spain, brazil, etc.

I played a lot of soccer throughout my life, and we used to play soccer golf all the time. Just pick a tree as the hole, and pick a couple of mando's.

On another note, a buddy of mine and I used to take a bag of soccer balls out to the field and kick for hours. After we were done, we always threw an aerobie around for another hour or so.

We would stand at either end of a regulation soccer field and try to get it in the goal. We got pretty good at it, learning to tune the aerobie for our particular throwing styles. The problem was if you were more than a hair off, the other person was chasing for quite a while.

Fun stuff though.

I actually teach a version of disc golf with Spalding rings. My course has tees and you have to get the ring around a stick and a flag. I use it to teach the etiquette of disc golf. How to get started, taking turns, playing through, etc. If they can play this game, then I whip out the real discs and they throw at milk crates suspended in trees or perched on tumbling mats. (I only have one basket)

The problem with golfing with them is that they have to be tuned to get a predictable flight. This usually takes several tosses. One good tree smack and you have to restart the process.

If they were legal many courses would be obsolete (if you wanted to have a distinction between folks that can throw far vs those who can't). You'd need double the area for each course. Like the using a superball for ball golf.

Or why not bring formula cars to run a nascar race?

'cause

1: they would blow up running at max RPM for 4hrs.
2: the NASCAR drivers would run them over and kill them.
3: the pit crew wouldn't know how to carry the little gay gas can.
4: the incredibly hot but horrifically anorexic F1 women would get fat from just smelling the fried foods at the track.

'cause

1: they would blow up running at max RPM for 4hrs.
2: the NASCAR drivers would run them over and kill them.
3: the pit crew wouldn't know how to carry the little gay gas can.
4: the incredibly hot but horrifically anorexic F1 women would get fat from just smelling the fried foods at the track.

I laughed my ass off at that. :D

cuz it's true.

Latest posts