• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] AGL Discs Cypress

Muskiebite

Par Member
I just recently got my hands on one of these and I didn't see anyone post about AGL yet.

They just released their first disc The Cypress a few months ago, and I got one from their team member last week. Since it's winter here I only got to test it a few times but I like what they are doing. The disc is a high speed driver, its very OS and very flat, has a slight ridge between the rim and flight plate, with it's high parting line it fits comfortably in the hand.

I talked to the owner of the company from bay area, CA, they really want to set themselves apart from other companies by creating unique innovative designs that aren't seen anywhere else.

Can't wait to see what they come out with next.

70-large_default.jpg

69-large_default.jpg

Sounded like a Discraft Pulse until you posted the profile pic. Looks like a little mesa actually raised up on the flight plate. Interesting.

Actually looks like a Katana in profile. I've had Katanas that flew like that too. No high speed turn and a ton of fade with little glide.

Dude what? Where can I get one of those to flick? Looks like a turbo Firebird.

I got mine from team member Cody Heath, AGL has a website or find them on FB

Sounded like a Discraft Pulse until you posted the profile pic. Looks like a little mesa actually raised up on the flight plate. Interesting.

Yeah it's a raised up plate, not a thumbtrack like Discraft

what's the plastic on these feel like, and exactly how overstable are we talking here? I can't decide if I want one or not. Shes a nice looking disc tho.

The plastic feel like Star, flexes like G (maybe a little less), and holds up to dings like Champion. It's INSANE, they custom made it.

For me the flight numbers held true. But beat in to have a -1 at high speed within a couple months. As soon as I got it my OS destroyers left my bag because I could do the exact same thing with a Cypress but with a way better feel in my hand that led to cleaner more consistent releases. Now I use my best in Cypress as a long distance control driver if that makes sense. It gives me a little flex, but will always come back at the end.

I saw someone on here compare it in looks to a Firebird, that is exactly right. It's like a faster Firebird. I told my buddies, "I throw my Cypress how I see pros throw their firebirds." Lol!

At the end of the day this disc jumped out to me and straight into my bag because it is an anomaly. It's more OS than it feels like it should be with how narrow it's prifile is and how not chunky the rim is. Everybody I've seen throw it puts it on a hyzer their first rip just because the feel in hand betrays it's Flight. It feels too comfy to be an OS distance driver!!!

To clarify I am on Team AGL, but I've been bagging the Cypress since before I got on their team :)

Good luck, team AGL? Looks like you managed to make a disc that is better than the biggest companies two most popular discs combined...

Looks like the newer runs will be more US, 12/5/-2/2 is the numbers. While it nice to have a Utility disc and I'm sure some big arms enjoy the meathook I'm looking forward to trying out this more mortal friendly edition. I hope they do continue the OG Cypress too since there is a niche slot for it

I should have one of the new run of Cypresses in a few days. Impressions to follow.

I just wanted to give an update on the retooled cypress! It has new numbers of 12/5/-2/2 (like previously mentioned). I've been throwing it as my go-to driver for several months and during a few tournaments and this is what I have to say about it.

It's definitely more stable than the numbers say. To clarify I'm talking about the white, 2nd run Cypress. I know they are in the middle of putting out a new run (same mold, just another batch) in pink.

The Flight: I'd give it like a -0.5/2 out of the box. Notice, it's a high speed driver so you need to throw it =) I've noticed myself throwing my Cypress on holes that others are throwing Firebirds and Thunderbirds on. It's definitely no Firebird in terms of stability, but it does have a great reliable fade.
One of mine that I bag has beat into a -1/2, and I love it. I'm typically throwing it 360' on flat ground very consistently. That's a real world throw, not just walking into a field and unloading =) haha!

The Plastic: It's definitely the gummiest plastic I bag. I know this will be attractive to some, and a turnoff to others. My main observation on the plastic is that while it is flexible, it does not feel floppy while throwing. And it holds up to dings very well. Somewhere between star and champion for durability.

The Grip/Feel: This is what sets apart the Cypress for me. Just about everyone I've handed mine to have said, "Wow this feels easy to throw." Now this is what I love about it, and what messes people up. It's so comfortable, people try to throw it like an understable fairway driver, but that's not what it is! It is not a sidewinder you are gong to hyzerflip to turnover with, but I swear that's how everyone tries to throw it at first! So if you buy one, fight the temptation ;)

Can anyone detail the relationship between Ozone, AGL, and this "hydro" plastic? In other words, who is the OEM for the "hydro m" plastic (same as the Andro C and the Cypress to my eye/feel)? I know it's also the same plastic as the RDG Tyrant (I think...).

Is it Daredevil? I really cannot tell, as I don't have experience with their plastics.

I sold all of the first runs/protos I had but recently received a second run Cypress as a gift.

Thanks!

That's a good question! I do not know, so I guess this reply is pointless haha! I haven't thrown any Ozone, RDG, or Daredevil plastic before. This is possibly a dumb question, but what does OEM stand for?

That's a good question! I do not know, so I guess this reply is pointless haha! I haven't thrown any Ozone, RDG, or Daredevil plastic before. This is possibly a dumb question, but what does OEM stand for?

Original Equipment Manufacturer

Not dumb. I actually misused the term, as it typically relates to electronics and/or industrial production. Since discs are "manufactured," though, I figured my misuse wouldn't ruffle too many feathers.

Latest posts