• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost discs!

I wish they made key finders for disc golf. Something like this:

Just would have to be smaller. Just keep it symmetrical and lightweight. Could do with a much smaller battery, don't need 2 years life, no GPS, tiny body, and I'd keep the remote in my bag for the the drivers, mostly. 5 grams per tag should be doable.

They had a products for DG, but they were as much as the disc and you had to remember pressing the button before you throw (alarm went on after 30 seconds or something).

and they made the disc illegal for sanctioned play. But there's one company that is coming out with electronic discs (or trying to....they have a Patent violation case against them right now). Tosy has some PDGA approved discs with an electronic gadget that will let you find your disc along with providing feedback on things like speed. If it wasn't cost prohibitive (the Tosy discs will be $300 US each), more brands could come out with sensors built-in that would meet PDGA requirements (they have to built-in by the brand, not an add-on to the disc).

I wish they made key finders for disc golf. Something like this:

Just would have to be smaller. Just keep it symmetrical and lightweight. Could do with a much smaller battery, don't need 2 years life, no GPS, tiny body, and I'd keep the remote in my bag for the the drivers, mostly. 5 grams per tag should be doable.

They had a products for DG, but they were as much as the disc and you had to remember pressing the button before you throw (alarm went on after 30 seconds or something).

You honestly want an 80db alarm? For a disc?

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, but have you gotten your eyes checked within the last year or couple? It matters bigtime trying to find discs, even if you're slightly off 20/20. I'm at 20/40 - basically I can't see the line of letters at the eye doctor that is perfect vision, but I can see the line above it. I generally go around with no glasses, contacts and not worry about it.

However, I have noticed that wearing my glasses makes a HUGE difference in finding my discs in the shule, to the point that I now always wear them when I'm playing, and it's pretty much the only time I ever wear them. I've also noticed that they double as eye protection and have saved me from getting jabbed in the eye a few times now from sticks. I keep an extra pair of glasses in my glove box now and throw them on when I play.

So if you don't have perfect vision, I'd highly recommend getting a pair of glasses even if just for disc golf like it do, they'll make finding discs easier and double as eye protection.

Last edited:
and sometimes, the ability to get lost has nothing to do with the colors. Sometimes a disc just lands in the 'perfect' spot or angle that your eyes miss it. When I'm stumped as to where my disc could be I walk around the spot in a circle to see it from different angles. I have even bent low to the ground and looked up so that I'm searching from a different view point. There are times I've walked away and gone back later just to find the disc right where I had been looking.
Different angles is "definitely" the key when all else fails! I found my buddies disc this afternoon after we both decided it was lost and I started walking away and accidentally spotted it.
My friend was happy!

I've developed the habit of leaving my disc on the ground after throwing my next shot. Not sure why I've started doing that... old age maybe. Most of the time I've been able to walk back and retrieve it, but I've lost a few that mysteriously "wandered off." Anyway, last week I left my favorite well-seasoned Roc behind and wasn't able to retrieve it after a lengthy search. Maybe that will break me of this particular habit.

As far as losing discs that I've thrown, probably an average of one every five rounds. I tend to like woods courses and water, so I know the chances of losing discs is probably pretty high, especially since it seems that the wind has been blasting for the last month or so. I do think of lost discs as part of the price of participation, and the sport is still great value for my money even after I factor in the cost of travel, UDisc, occasional gadgets and gizmos, etc.

The time I spend looking is often more connected to my fondness for the particular disc as opposed to replacement cost. I've had a few that I just looked for a few minutes and thought, "Glad to be rid of that one." Of course those are usually the ones that are returned. :rolleyes:

I have developing cataracts and it has affected my ability to see discs on the ground. My eye doctor told me that you lose ability to see contrast. Fortunately I play with younger guys with good eyes and they help me spot them. I'm lucky because the course that I play 98% of the time has little tall grass so that helps.

I have developing cataracts and it has affected my ability to see discs.

I'd suggest having the surgery as soon as you can. After having it I couldn't believe I'd put it off for three months.

Latest posts