• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cost of lost discs vs green fees

The other difference is that if you get a scuff or nick in a disc, it often flies better where a golf ball gets immediately relegated to the practice pile

The original post was comparing the cost of a disc to a round of golf (green fees). If golf balls cost 15-20 bucks I'm sure people would spend a whole lot more time searching for their ball.

Good point, I missed that. I was trying to compare "apples to apples". Comparing the cost of a disc to a cost of a round of ball golf is a really strange comparison. Usually a round of ball golf includes the cost of a cart.

I play both versions of golf. I still spend time looking for a disc more than I spend looking for a golf ball. The cost of a round doesn't even come into the comparison for me. The cost of the round (ball or disc) is just a comparison of what I get in return. I expect ball courses to be groomed, probably include a cart, have well defined fairways, and scorecards that show the layout. But for disc golf, since it is either free or very low cost, I don't expect the same....if I see weeds, long grass, not much maintenance, scorecards that only provide a way to keep score....it doesn't concern me. But none of that would have anything thing to do with whether or not I look for a lost disc. So, to me, it's a weird comparison and strange to use that (disc cost vs ball golf round cost) to decide whether to look for a disc.

Those are some cheap balls then! Try $45 a dozen for anything decent - maybe as low as thirty a dozen for something servicable.

Yes, the quality of the ball makes a big difference if you shoot under a hundred

$27 for a dozen Srixon Q-Stars, which fly just as good as ProV1's unless you have pro-level spin (which, for the record, I don't :) ) I'm not advocating that any decent golfer go play with entry-level Rock-Flites, but there are some decent balls out there for <$30 if you look hard enough. And I always thought Callaway Superhot 55's performed even better than premium balls in cold (<45*) weather. Softer compression neutralized some of that cold weather distance loss. Superhots are also in that $25 range.

$27 for a dozen Srixon Q-Stars, which fly just as good as ProV1's unless you have pro-level spin (which, for the record, I don't :) ) I'm not advocating that any decent golfer go play with entry-level Rock-Flites, but there are some decent balls out there for <$30 if you look hard enough. And I always thought Callaway Superhot 55's performed even better than premium balls in cold (<45*) weather. Softer compression neutralized some of that cold weather distance loss. Superhots are also in that $25 range.

Liked because I always called them Rock-Flites in my ball golf days

I'll be playing my first round in many months here soon - I'll check out those recommendations!!

I never consider the cost of a disc at all and I have backups so it never costs me money mentally. Most of the time I'll put in some effort but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The real problem is that certain discs are just "magical" and the backups aren't quite the same. I've spent time over multiple days looking for one of those. It's pretty rare anyway, 90% of the discs I've ever lost were doing from doing fieldwork.

I do not like losing discs. I figure it takes an hour in wages for me to buy a premium disc. In reality each disc in my bag would have a price tag over $50 bucks if I would average the cost of the discs that I bought and sit in the corner never to be thrown again. And if the disc has sentimental value the price of it goes up even more. I take losing a disc personal and may take up to 45 min searching for a disc. On the other hand if I grip lock a disc into deep water I think to myself... thank God i don't have to look for that disc.

My problem in this circumstance is how I deify my Discs. I'm not just losing a piece of plastic, or a generic projectile (like I would in other sports). Each Disc of mine seems to have a personality I've come to love. Losing a Disc hurts!

I like Disc Golf, The other cost, environmental is a lot less if you factor in the Traditional Golf Course getting parts moved. Yeah they cut paths for discs to go on some Disc Golf courses but nothing like a Traditional Golf course where you also have to factor in the Cost of water use to keep parts green enough to play the course. Disc Golf we have some environment issues like lost discs,plastic in the water ect. In more and more areas with city or non city recycling programs the discs plastics can be recycled for most worn out or very old plastic too worn out/old for even beginners to use. Then plastics/rubber like Jawbreaker and then Viberam would have end up in the same places tires do due to being more a plastic rubber then a traditional plastic. Oh almost forgot that Golf Balls when too worn out or broken can't really be recycled but then have to be thrown away due to having too many components to them.

I will say Disc Golf is more environmentally friendly then Traditional Golf.

Last edited:
Anyone else find themselves justifying leaving a lost disc a bit early thinking it is still cheaper than ball golf fees?

I've played 42 rounds this summer so far, and have lost 5 discs. I wish I didn't lose them, but that is $1.79 per round of disc golf. Sure beats the heck out of $15 or whatever it is these days to play ball golf.

But I also find myself perhaps not looking for as long as I should be for a disc with this attitude. For instance, today I barely looked for 5 minutes but a big factor was also a wet, tick-infested tall grass/forest area making the search a bit harder.

The longer you play disc golf the better you get at finding discs. I remember 12 or so years ago playing a round on the Toboggan with a local pro and being amazed at what an eagle eye the guy had and how quickly he found his own (and mine) discs, even though I have good eyes, and thinking how hard it is to find my own discs. During my newbie years I lost quite a few discs, not just from bad shots but from that lack of experience finding them. I think you get a feel for how the discs fly, where they land from years of playing.

Fast forward to today and now I'm the eagle eyed veteran who can spot a disc far away in the tall grass or deep in the snow and it's pretty rare I lose one, and usually if I do it's from forgetting to pick it up off the fairway, not from being lost. Plus, after you start accumulating a few years with the same disc you're not going to want to part with it too easily.

Last edited:
To me, the pain of losing a disc is never about the monetary value (since they're cheap). Some of the discs I carry could be easily replaced by buying a new one. But there are others that I have thrown for years, and have broken into such a specific flight pattern that I couldn't easily replace them.

When you throw a disc for a while, you gain more trust in it. That trust in knowing exactly what your disc will do is irreplaceable.

If I may elaborate my perspective on this, it's not necessarily that they can't be replaced, but finding a new one that flies just like it.

Just because you buy the same mold, same plastic, weight ...doesn't necessarily guarantee same flight. Not only was your disc beat in, put the manufacturing process isn't incredibly consistent. Molds differ between runs.

I have played 2 rounds of ball golf this month, and even though one round was discounted I still spent $100. The equivalent of 6 new discs approximately. The cost of a disc is negligible compared to what I used to pay for recreation. I have largely abandoned ball golf in favor of disc golf: less expensive, not as time consuming, no dress requirements, no tee times.

I used to bowl as well so that was $15 a week for 9 months of the year, and I haven't included the equipment expenses for the pairing.

On a related note, I do at times miss the manicured courses, professionalism, cleanliness and collective behavior on a ball golf course. I know pay for play is a hot button issue for some, but I think more money needs to find it's way into the hands of clubs and TDs to improve the overall experience. We, as players, are now reliant on passionate volunteers who are donating their time, effort and equipment. I feel as though I'm taking advantage of the situation which makes me uncomfortable. Curiously, on three occasions I have asked board members of our local club how I could donate money and they all seemed confused by the question and couldn't provide an answer.

wow, that's a good point i never considered. more money in the sport will required people who know how to manage money. and that knowledge is not a given!

i am very much in favor of pay to play. i think high quality, sustainable (read: profitable) courses are the next requirement for the sport to expand in terms of finances, professionalism, and sponsorship.

Latest posts