• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My disc bag has approached the cost of my golf bag.

Plastic Thunder

Eagle Member
To be honest, my golf set is a bit old. I was playing a club event and I got to thinking about the money I would have to lay out if I lost the bag. If I had to replace the entire bag plus the discs, I was looking at around 750 dollars. No cart, that would make it a bit more.

Figure 150 or so for the bag, couple of Cryztal Lunas($170), 11 Time FAF Firebird($35) and a pearly 2002 Champion TL CFR($30) are the most costly and the remaining discs of which there are 19 are premium plastic which now are 18 bucks new($342). 1 Mini and couple of towels and 2 birdie bags($20).

The funny thing is I have more than one bag, running 3, the second stays in Florida, and a third is here filled with Champion/Z glow disc which I use for night play. Glow is only a month or so away.

This used to be a cheap sport(3 discs and a beer or 2) but man we/I pump a bunch into our/my addiction. Yes, I know I could buy them used a bit cheaper but think about it. Next time you step on the tee pad with 3 of you buddies, there is a couple grand in equipment being hauled a around the course with you and your buddies.

It's as expensive as you want it to be. If people want to throw limited run and/or OOP plastic, the game gets more costly.

But with all the stuff out there, there's no reason to spend a bunch on a given disc, other than you like it, which is perfectly fine. But someone has a stock disc that flies similarly enough.

Yeah, people seems to be spending a lot but it isn't required.

I stick to my philosophy of pay only retail prices and don't keep/buy discs I won't throw. It keeps me in check cause I am not immune to the hype.

If I purchased my bag online, and then replaced all my discs at Infinitediscs and the Innova Factory Store, here are the costs:

Grip cs2 bag $179

2 Hard Shields $10.99 each
1 Hard Harp $10.99
1 Star Cro $17.99
1 K1 Kaxe $19.99
2 Star Teebirds $14.99 each
1 Champion Teebird $13.99
1 Opto Maul Nobody has these. Ebay maybe $30.
1 Champion Firebird $13.99
1 Star Wraith $14.99
1 Star Destroyer $14.99

Throw in a cheapo hand towel, mini, and add tax, and I am approaching $400.

I had never considered the total cost before. $400 is more than I would have guessed. But, at least almost all of it is easily replaced.

Yep. Anyone with a higher end bag and about twenty discs in star/big Z/lucid plastic is running around the course with roughly $400 to $500 worth of gear.

Whether that investment buys them a win over the guy with a $20 starter bag and $50 worth of DX plastic is a story for a whole different thread.

Just think about the people that play ball golf.

A set of irons=$1200. Sand wedge=$100. Driver and 3 wood= $300ea. Let's not forget a $200 putter. That's $2100 not to mention a bag. A soft side carry bag = $250. A box of 12 balls=$50 and most people start a round with a fresh sleeve of 3 balls. Thats $2400 before you even pay a green fee before every round.

Makes our sport look like a pretty good bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Yep. Anyone with a higher end bag and about twenty discs in star/big Z/lucid plastic is running around the course with roughly $400 to $500 worth of gear.

Whether that investment buys them a win over the guy with a $20 starter bag and $50 worth of DX plastic is a story for a whole different thread.

That's definitely true, although at least in our little club the top tier of players seem to be somewhere in between the 2 extremes.

Oh I also forgot shoes, driving range balls, cart, money spent when the beverage cart rolls around and please include a tip.

To be honest, my golf set is a bit old. I was playing a club event and I got to thinking about the money I would have to lay out if I lost the bag. If I had to replace the entire bag plus the discs, I was looking at around 750 dollars. No cart, that would make it a bit more.

Figure 150 or so for the bag, couple of Cryztal Lunas($170), 11 Time FAF Firebird($35) and a pearly 2002 Champion TL CFR($30) are the most costly and the remaining discs of which there are 19 are premium plastic which now are 18 bucks new($342). 1 Mini and couple of towels and 2 birdie bags($20).

The funny thing is I have more than one bag, running 3, the second stays in Florida, and a third is here filled with Champion/Z glow disc which I use for night play. Glow is only a month or so away.

This used to be a cheap sport(3 discs and a beer or 2) but man we/I pump a bunch into our/my addiction. Yes, I know I could buy them used a bit cheaper but think about it. Next time you step on the tee pad with 3 of you buddies, there is a couple grand in equipment being hauled a around the course with you and your buddies.

Interesting food for thought.

I'm probably in the 3 - 400 range. Althought last year I played with a cheapie cooler bag and less discs so maybe 150 at best. I can see how easy it would be to ramp up though.

As a side note, I notice your night time noise maker avatar. I have a standard grey and a mosaic like your pic. The wheel is a nice sleep aid :D The bark isn't so relaxing...

Run of the mill star plastic has always been good enugh for me. Luckily.
I had a short time where i was big into first-run Z Nukes, but luckily i got over that.

750$ would get you maybe 2 or 3 golf clubs here in switzerland, but nowhere near to a bag or even the yearly club membership :D Not to mention the green fees.

Ball golf is crazy.

I'm pretty much the stereotypical 860 rated player with a pound bag and 20 tour series discs, I've typically been pretty lucky hitting drops so everything in the bag was retail. But if I had to replace the bag at aftermarket prices I'd be looking at another 12 week wait for a $575 bag and maybe $1200 in discs.

My rating is a testament that it doesn't make me any better, but I just enjoy the fun stamps and fancy plastics, and it's still hundreds if not thousands of dollars a week cheaper than my previous hobby of racing cars.

I could replicate my everyday bag for under $250.

Ditto - $50.

The way I look at pricy plastic is, if it makes the owner happy and the owner can afford it great. (The owner also has more money than sense. Most people, myself included, do.)

Latest posts