• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AHHHH LEAGUE PLAYERS!

Any league player should be welcoming to casual players and invite them to play leagues. Unless, of course, they don't care for winning more money.

The most common stool is 14 ounces.. which is 397 grams.. or about 2 and 1/4 discs worth of weight. I loop my stool's strap through my bag's clips so I never have to worry about losing or carrying it. When I set my bag down, if I decide I want a seat, I turn my stool upright without ever having to detach it from my bag. It's really nearly zero hassle for an occasional huge benefit.

Being new to this sport myself and not having submitted many posts to this forum, I have never encountered this issue thankfully. The one thing that does just floor me about disc golf though that is mentioned by the above quote is the use of stools. Can I please ask why ? I'm 52 years old and have played several courses through the woods, up the hills, and waded into a pond for a lost disc I never found and never ever dreamed of using a stool to rest. The rest I get is out on the course walking and hiking every nook and cranny it seems since I am a newbie. I just hope disc golf doesn't get to the point of the Walmarts and people start using motorized scooters while they are gnawing on their ice cream cone and shuffling through their selection of discs and yes perfectly able to walk but they choose not to. Good luck out their Yodeler and just learn to deal with it the best you can. If you ever come across motorized scooters out there, then you know the beginning of the end of disc golf is near.

I never understood the need for a stool until I followed a friend who was playing a tourney. Great googlely-moogelies there are some slow players out there. I mean obnoxiously slow. Like New York Yankees pitcher slow. And at a tournament everyone moves at the speed of the slowest card. You get five really slow guys on the same card and play just comes to a halt. Everyone on our card would be done and you'd wait five minutes before you could throw the next hole. Wanted a stool really, really bad.

Look, it's first come first serve.

You get there after a group of other folks who have every right to enjoy the park then just wait your damn turn or go somewhere else.

Do they have the right to play through, no. Are you required to let them play through, no. If they're a fast moving group and you don't let them play through are you a jerk, yeah. Do you have the right to be a jerk, absolutely, but a jerk it still makes you.

a jerk it still makes you.

yoda_in_swamp.jpg

Last edited:
A jerk is some one who pulls up to a packed course, league nite or not, and says to himself, "All these folks are in my way and I'm gona play right thru them all."

I let folks play thru all the time. When I'm playing solo I get to play thru lots of holes.

But anytime I show up to the course and it's leagues or a tourney I don't get mad. I just play somewhere else.

The sense of entitlement seems a bit misdirected... whatever happened to playing in the order you arrived? Whenever I bump into a group you know what I do? I go back to hole 1 and start over. I usually don't catch them after that.

Or maybe say, "Hmm... maybe I should come out next Wednesday and play league with them."

It's not a God give right to be able to play through. Especially if there the next 3 holes have foursomes on them as well. Playing through does nothing but clog up the course further.

We run into casuals all the time in league and none of them have ever copped this kind of attitude. We simply invite everyone we see. Sometimes like this week when we play jungle layout to beat the dark, we ran into the same twosome three times as we play the course backwards with non-standard holes. Kind of awkward I grant you, but nobody got irate over anything.

I just realized something, the OP hasn't chimed in since starting the thread lol.

It's not a God give right to be able to play through. Especially if there the next 3 holes have foursomes on them as well. Playing through does nothing but clog up the course further.
if the groups of 4 let the solo player play through WITH them and not wait for the solo player to clear the hole... course doesn't get clogged up. solo player moves through and gets ahead of the traffic jam. everybody gets on with their lives.

caveat: this requires coordination, thinking and foresight from several human beings within a short time span. i realize the odds of this occurring are slim-to-none in 2013. narcissism and self-absorption are at an all time high. even on the disc golf course.

This can't be the norm. I've never played in league, just casual rounds. One of the courses I frequent has a Wed night league, and one night when I was getting some rounds in before softball, I was asked by a total stranger if I'd like to stay and play in league. Maybe they just wanted to take my cash, but nobody was giving me the squirrely eye or treating me like some random idiot.

Is it a regional thing? Maybe a course specific thing? Or is it just insecure asswipes assuming anybody that throws better than them must be pricks? I've never seen it personally.

Trust me, people in Wisconsin are nicer than the norm. :)

I don't understand why some league players have to be total douchers. I always shoot alone and I play through very fast, and yet, they give me excuses. "Oh, we're in a league, we can't let you play through." or "There is big groups in front of us, so it'd be pointless." Frankly, that's just rude and inconsiderate.
Since it's a doubles league, they all have to throw. Then they have to pick whose disc is better, and the process continues. And of course the wait time increases because they all have stools and switch discs a million times. Or they visualize their shot while sitting at their lie. It's just ridiculous.

Also, the "I'm better than you because I'm in a league" attitude is quite annoying. You're in a rec league dude. If I put in the money to join, I could be in it too.
To me, people like this are ruining the sport. It pushes new players away when we should be trying to get them to play more. Our goal should be to offer tips and just generally be friendly and helpful. It'd definitely help the image of our sport. Anyway, yeah.

Way to group all of league players into one category...I guess am one of the "league players" in the category of people you just identified. But, I'll still be the guy behind you and your buddies during a casual round picking up your beer cans and watching you throw trash all over the course. THanks for stumbling all over the course like drunken morons and making everybody blame "league players" for making the sport look bad. And no, I am not going to let your play through. What if I have been waiting ten minutes at every tee to throw my shot? I should let you play through when the hole is clear? Why? To watch you throw a horrible forehand right into a tree?... SO I figured since you wanted to lump all "league players" into one category, I would lump all of you "non-league" players into one. Suck it up or play a different course...If I play on a course with a league going on that I not playing in that night, I'll either A. Suck it up and play an extremely slow round or B. Play somewhere else. Tired of seeing these thread with people whining about "league" players.

I've let a single just play in with us during a dubs round. There's no way he's going to leapfrog through all the groups in front of us. We call it picking up a stray! Just because we play in a league or a dubs event doesn't mean we are all douchebags. I think we all just want to play a different format or play at a higher level than casual play. If I show up at the ball golf course and there's a tourney going on, I just drive to a new course. Why feel entitled to slow up the event and look down on them because they want to play in a tourney or league?

Latest posts