• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music During Cash League Rounds

foxdawg10

Double Eagle Member
There is a weekly cash league at a private I have been playing for a few years now. Something fun to do on Saturdays and sometimes I play well enough to bring some extra folding money home.

So yesterday out of the blue one of the regulars on our card decides on his own to start playing his music loudly on a bluetooth speaker. It was unexpected because we have never done that at this league in the past. He didn't take the courtesy to ask us if we minded a little music or whatever. After a hole or two of figuring out how I was going to respond, I finally asked him if he minded turning the volume down. I didn't want to ruing the card vibe by asking him to completely shut it off, which is really what I wanted to do.

I personally don't even like listening to someone else's music during a casual round. If you want music, just put on ear buds or at least make sure ever one on the card is OK with it.

Has anyone else come across this at a cash league? I'm just wondering how others have dealt with this situation.

I haven't had this happen in league play, but if it did I would ask the guy to turn it way down. Better yet, get another cardmate to join you in asking the guy to turn it down.
This is like someone bringing their 2 year old to league. It forces other people to be the bad guy when in fact the guy bringing the loud music or child or uncontrolled dog should have enough sense to realize most people don't want the distractions.
Maybe talk to the person who runs the league and see if they would speak to the guy or make an announcement.

I don't mind a little music as long as it's at reasonable volume and in a genre I dont mind. There's a few folks in league with a Bluetooth speaker worth hanging with, volume is low enough that it's a gentle background noise, you practically need to walk with the guy to hear it and it doesn't impede conversation. I really like some of the gentle psychedelic rock and instrumental songs for disc golf.

That said, death metal and hard-core hip hop are a little much for me at 10am, it especially annoys me when people crank it up past distortion levels and say "isnt this awesome?".
I also played a tourney round with a guy who was a soccer fan last year, he was wearing his teams jersey and asked if we were cool with music.... and he played some good tunes for the first few hours it elevated the vibe but then the game came on and he switched to listen to it. Luckily we only had 6 holes left but that was annoying.

Don't even get me started on the guy in camp up at Suncor that loved "Superman" by Three Doors Down, 5 or 6 times every morning 5am at full volume and afternoon after work, ironically he was three doors down from my room.

Last edited:
I'm this guy, although in recent years I keep the volume down. JBL for the win! Really wish there was a way to just replace the batteries in these things, frustrating that they're a 100 bucks and don't last more than 3 or so years.....I might switch over to that smaller clip thingy since I've been keeping the volume down anyways and for half the price you can't beat that

I'm this guy, although in recent years I keep the volume down. JBL for the win! Really wish there was a way to just replace the batteries in these things, frustrating that they're a 100 bucks and don't last more than 3 or so years.....I might switch over to that smaller clip thingy since I've been keeping the volume down anyways and for half the price you can't beat that

I have some Sony Bluetooth speakers I use for the patio at home. Good sound and decent bass, for $50 each. They link and provide good stereo sound.

And they are water / weatherproof so I leave them outside until they need to be recharged. Sometimes I will bring them with me on my solo rounds for some good background music, but most of the time I prefer to just be outdoors with no added sound.

Nature needs no embellishments. I wish people would figure that out and leave the music home.

If you're solo, I suppose it's just a "you do you" situation. That said, I think music potentially sends an antisocial signal--"I've got all I need here. No...I don't want to join up and play a round. Don't talk to me. Yes, I'm solo and FFS let's keep it that way."

Nature needs no embellishments. I wish people would figure that out and leave the music home.

If you're solo, I suppose it's just a "you do you" situation. That said, I think music potentially sends an antisocial signal--"I've got all I need here. No...I don't want to join up and play a round. Don't talk to me. Yes, I'm solo and FFS let's keep it that way."
While I agree that nature needs no embellishment, not sure I completely agree with the underlined.

Just because someone's plain tunes, Doesn't necessarily imply that they don't want anyone to join though.

And let's suppose, that's exactly what their intent is, and they just need some time alone to decompress and/or chill. I can see how that would be just what the doctor ordered.

In response to the OP, I'd check with your card mates to see how they feel about it. If that's what they want, maybe you're better off with a different card.

Last edited:

Hmmm, this sounds like a super harsh interpretation. Sometimes a 7:00 am solo round is exactly what is needed. You can't possibly accuse someone of being anti-social at 7:00 am when not another soul will be on the course for another 3 hours. You are new to the sport, but there is no rule saying you MUST share your casual rounds with other people lest some rando on the internet accuses you of being anti social. And it is really conversations like this that make me avoid certain people on the course. If it is going to be contentious, please leave me out of it.

I think the person blaring the music during a cash league round without consulting card mates is the anti-social one. But again this is why I asked the question in the first place. To solicit feedback.

While I agree that nature needs no embellishment, not sure I completely agree with the underlined.

Just because someone's plain tunes, Doesn't necessarily imply that they don't want anyone to join though.

And let's suppose, that's exactly what they're intent is, and they just need some time alone to decompress and/or chill. I can see how that would be just what the doctor ordered.

In response to the OP, I'd check with your card mates to see how they feel about it. If that's what they want, maybe you're better off with a different card.

The cards were determined by chip draw so I was stuck with who I got. I've known these guys for years and enjoy playing with them. That is why I was comfortable asking the guy if he would mind turning the music down.

And yes, from time to time I enjoy my solo rounds for a variety of reasons. Chill/decompress time as you suggested, or a chance to practice some shots without ruining the card vibe.

Last edited:

I'm not saying that this is the listener's intent in all cases, nor that music has to be anti-social. If you're playing in a tournament, show some respect for your card mate's game.

I hate music when playing DG. I'm outdoors to enjoy myself and relax. Listening to birds chirp or water flowing down a stream is my idea of a nice day outdoors not listening to whatever shitty music you have decided the entire park needs to hear. If this happened during a league I would be the asshole and tell him to turn it off. I'd rather you hate me and I don't have to hear your music then listen to your shitty music and have you like me. One of the few things I like about getting older is I don't give an F as much as I used to about what others think of me. :)

I live in nature haha. Exiled to my island like Nahthrowlean, a little outside music is decent, especially from old rocking hippies. But yeah it's gotta have the right vibe, or be 90's haha. I kinda miss grumpy Steve, he had the coolest music, Captain Beefheart was probably the most mainstream band he'd play 😄 but he moved. He had/has two discs, on the back one says "Quiet" the other says "Please" he'd just hold them up. I remember finding him tripping on acid in my hot tub on his own during this music fest/birthday party for my honey....

Haha good times, what were we saying... yeah I like good music but keep your crap to yourself.

Ok so same league, different week.. I'm glad there is only one week left so I can bow out gracefully

I'm trying to determine if it's gamesmanship or cheating/poor sportsmanship.

The guy who runs the league is generally a friendly fellow. This week he seemed hell bent on subtly working the rest of us. He constantly insisted he was closer to the basket, even though on several occasions he was outside the circle / distance marker. When pointed out to him he got pissy. Not worth the argument. Constantly negatively commenting about other card mates shot

Then the cherry on top, I had card for first 6 holes. On 7, I asked if he would take the card. Instead of saying something understandable, like I'd rather not I'm tired, or whatever, he got dickish. The response was "That's not how we do things here, you just have to deal with it". I politely smiled, and ask other card mate, and he gladly took card.

Mind you I've been playing this league on off for 8 years and that is not how we do things. It backfired on him as he proceeded to throw ob on 3 of next 5 holes, while I snagged a bunch of birds and strokes, and walking away with some folding cash.

This is same guy who took an extra putt the previous week after he missed an easy one. We were nice, but did remind him it was a money round, no extra throws.

His antics didn't effect my round but I am left wondering if I want to play his league anymore. I hate playing with someone I feel the can't trust, it gets tiring.