• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music During a round

Flyguy46

Par Member
Premium Member
I know there are people who carry small speakers on their disc bags. It really doesn't bother me when they have music going. I am one who carries a speaker ony bag as well.

Now, that being said, I was wondering what style of music you like to hear others playing? Are there styles that you really don't like to hear during a round?

Another question for you all. You will sometimes see players with headphones in their ears. Have you found a genre of music that helps or hinders your throwing?

Reason I ask is I played a round a few days ago where I changed from Five Finger Death Punch to a New Age channel. I noticed a difference in my style of play and pace of my throws with a change in music. Is this just something weird and individual to me or something that you have found as well.

I hope this is the right area to ask. Thanks in advance and can't see where it goes.

It is my view that playing music aloud while on the golf course is always in poor taste.
I'd say it is rude.

If you are any bit competitive it is also stupid since even your own music will distract you and take from your concentration. It is basically impossible to find exactly the right tune that actually lifts your performance. So play discgolf or respect those artists and actually listen to their music!

Last edited:
People playing in league or casual with headphones are more often a pain than not, IMO. They make it very difficult to communicate with them and socially isolate themselves. It can be annoying at times. I realize some are better at using them and still hear the world around them.

I don't mind personal or group volume tunes. I am not down for country, EDM or dubstep, disco or a steady diet of reggae. Really other than that I am cool, given conversation can be had over it.

i would expect that the "DJ" would ask the group, if is was OK.

My favorite music hands down is The Sandhill Cranes, but I also really like The Crickets, The Tree Frogs and The Robins and The Other Birds as well. This year The Cicadas were one of my favorites.

One of my primary reasons for playing is to get away from the incessant volume of noise that seems to be every day life. Admittedly that is getting harder; even camping it always seems like someone enjoys having some extra music besides the beautiful music nature offers.

That being said, I enjoy making music myself and I truly enjoy music of many types, I don't mind another player playing it, even in my group. It does not affect my game either way.

I'm not interested in hearing lyrics that drops the f-bomb every 2.3 seconds and I appreciate it if the music is varied and kept to a volume that can only be heard by that group, not all over the entire course.

I do agree, the DJ should check with the group first and not be upset if one of the group says no.

In a couple more years, it probably won't matter to me either way, as I'm slowly moving into silence.

I'm not a fan of the blaring speaker at all, and I don't like to wear headphones on the course unless I'm playing solo.

If I do it's usually something ambient or contemplatative that lets relax to a deeper degree. This Will Destroy You, Pelican, Boygenius, Phoebe Bridgers and John Coletrane have been in rotation this year quite a bit.

I started using a speaker for casual rounds. I make it a point to keep the volume very low. No one on a different hole should hear my music.

As for the tunes, that's simply a matter of taste "or lack thereof ... :p

There are groups I like, but find too distracting to play to, SOAD and Disturbed are good examples. They don't make good background music, IMO... too "in your face."

On the other hand, Tool, Rush, Yes, Tull, are great for a casual round. I enjoy listening to longer songs at very quiet levels, especially instrumentals. I really don't want to "get into" my music on the course. I want to chill to it, be in the moment, and feel kinda zen.

Last edited:
I love music. It can fix my mindset.

But, I don't listen to music on the course. If I'm doing a solo round, I want to be aware of my surroundings.

In league/mini rounds I've had a few folks that played music on speakers. Typically, the speakers are poor quality so whatever music is played is inferior.

Beyond that, no one type of music is going to be good for everyone.

For me, I've used it to enhance my focus on my game.

Basically, assume your music sucks to every other person that can hear it and make your decision accordingly.

All of the responses I have gotten were what I expected. I never play my speaker if others don't want it. Summertime it dudes become necessary to keep my 7 year old entertained between throws. I agree speaker volume is key. One thing I have been doing on solo runs is listening to more meditative music to slow me down. But only when playing solo.

Depends on the course and the card mates. I never bring a speaker, but I will play some tunes on my phone if the mood strikes me. Never loud enough to hear more than 10-15 feet away from my bag. I only play instrumental type music, nothing with lyrics which helps to keep the distractions to a minimum. But ya, music on the course is most certainly a situational thing.

Latest posts