• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you handle fast play/feeling rushed in tournament/league play?

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I know this is kind of the opposite of the typical discussion.

First, everyone on all of my cards have been great. And no one has said anything about my pace of play. I probably play slower than most, but I'm not too worried about going over 30 seconds. However, everybody seems to talk about Nikko and Gannon Buhr and TD's talk about slower players at every player's meeting and someone seems to always bring it up while waiting to start our round. So it is kind of a concern in the back of my mind, especially since the excessive time rules are so abstract.

I've played with a lot of guys that play really fast. I had an incident where I threw off my tee and as I was watching my shot, I stepped backwards and stepped on the foot of the guy throwing after me and rolled my ankle a bit. I've played with a couple of guys that are 50 feet down the fairway and almost jogging before the last person's tee shot has landed and will let go of their approach shot within 2 or 3 seconds of when the previous player's shot has landed.

This is sort of exacerbated by the fact that I've been on the card with much higher rated players and the biggest deficiency in my game is distance. So I'm frequently last on the box and then throwing my 2nd shot first. I was on a card a while back where I was rated 100 points lower than everyone else and though I played a pretty good round (I shot +8 and everyone else was +4 or +5), I threw back to back shots on probably 14 holes.

So how do you manage the pace when the rest of the card is basically standing at your shot and you are grabbing your bag back at the tee? I know that you are supposed to think about your shot as you are walking to it, but you frequently can't see your stance or what lines are available until you get to your disc. And ideally, I want to stop and catch my breathe, take a sip of water, and so forth.

I ignore the rest of the card as far as that sort of stuff is concerned. So long as I am not going over 30 seconds what are they going to say? Just play my own game. Walk my own pace. Never run to clear the basket. They want to rush through their shots I let them.

There's all sorts of silly things dg'ers do on the course in tournaments that we can choose to either let it affect our game and get into our heads...or not. This is one of those silly things.

I ignore the rest of the card as far as that sort of stuff is concerned. So long as I am not going over 30 seconds what are they going to say? Just play my own game. Walk my own pace. Never run to clear the basket. They want to rush through their shots I let them.

There's all sorts of silly things dg'ers do on the course in tournaments that we can choose to either let it affect our game and get into our heads...or not. This is one of those silly things.

Looking at how a lot of people define arrive at and determine lie in that thread, I'm not sure how anyone can throw in 30 seconds. Even though I'm probably throwing within 10 seconds of when I actually take a stance, it is probably more like a minute or a minute and a half from when I set my bag down.

...and it really isn't fair because everyone else gets a couple of minutes to choose a stance/line/disc.

My natural pace is quick enough that I never felt rushed. If anything, I need to learn to slow down, focus, and take a breath when I putt.

The slow pace of play is part of the reason I hardly ever play tournaments any more.

Looking at how a lot of people define arrive at and determine lie in that thread, I'm not sure how anyone can throw in 30 seconds. Even though I'm probably throwing within 10 seconds of when I actually take a stance, it is probably more like a minute or a minute and a half from when I set my bag down.

...and it really isn't fair because everyone else gets a couple of minutes to choose a stance/line/disc.

I very seldom see anyone taking a couple of minutes to choose a stance/line/disc. Sometimes finding a stance takes a while when players are in difficult positions. I would guess that at least 75% of the time players can tell you what disc they are going to throw next as soon as they see their prior shot land. I play with one guy who is an exception to this because he has the attention span of a squirrel. Most delays in the MP50 groups I play in are because someone is in the middle of telling a story of some sort. :)

I very seldom see anyone taking a couple of minutes to choose a stance/line/disc. Sometimes finding a stance takes a while when players are in difficult positions. I would guess that at least 75% of the time players can tell you what disc they are going to throw next as soon as they see their prior shot land. I play with one guy who is an exception to this because he has the attention span of a squirrel. Most delays in the MP50 groups I play in are because someone is in the middle of telling a story of some sort. :)

I'm not saying they take it. I'm just saying that if there are a few throws between your throws, you get a couple minutes.

I got a tournament tomorrow. I generally have a good idea of what I'm going to throw. Like there is a hole that I know that I'm throwing a Hatchet off the tee. If my drive is good, I'm throwing a Roc on my 2nd shot. If I don't hit my drive that great, I'm throwing a Teebird on my 2nd shot. If I bleed right a bit, I might be throwing a Vortex or a Sol.

...but it is also a heavily wooded course, so there will be some drives where I get a funky kick off a root or nestle against a tree and I won't know what my 2nd shot looks like until I get there. And I've only played these layouts twice, so I'll end up in some places that I haven't seen.

Your 30 seconds starts when you address your lie. Forgive me for strong words here, but listening to people on facebook for the last however many days have 0 clue...
I cannot understand the inability of people to figure out how this works.

Addressing your lie isn't looking at it.

When its your turn to throw, and you address it's basically your turn to go.
So, you're close to your lie, or you've directly addressed it, put back next to disc. Getting disc out. etc.

There is nothing in the rules that states you cannot stand back 10feet or so and think about it and analyze. It's when you start faffing about that it's a problem.

There is plenty of time in normal golf play to make shots. It's just when there has been plenty of time for that person to make all those decisions, then they address their lie and do the whole routine over and over again.

The other issue comes from players letting themselves be distracted by conversation, phone and so many other things while playing, vs focusing on their game, conditions, slope and all the other things while walking to their disc.

I, however, do believe the rules are written poorly. Very poorly. But this isn't rocket science either.

My natural pace is quick enough that I never felt rushed. If anything, I need to learn to slow down, focus, and take a breath when I putt.

The slow pace of play is part of the reason I hardly ever play tournaments any more.

I like playing fast myself as well. I can adjust better to slower players now than I used to, but slower players tend to put me in a "where did I throw my disc" problem more than anything. It's harder to stay in any sort of mind space when the dude jumps on the tee and does 15 practice swings then duffs it in the woods.

Watch out for the old timers.
"Remember that time we all went to X tournament in Y City and took all their money?" The OG's here did this stuff ALL the time. hahahaha
And I play with them.
But one thing about all the OG's, put some money up, not many stories gonna be told, but hold on, they do not screw around. they throw frisbee's and go.
No faffing.

30 seconds to make a throw is a lot longer than some of you think it is. Try timing yourself sometime.

I think part of the issue is people have no clue how long 30 seconds is.
But as well, they have no clue what it means to "address their lie"
As in, they dont know when that 30 seconds starts.
And because the rules are so poorly written, there isn't a good definition of it unless you really understand what defining your lie is.

Maybe I should make a video on this?
For somebody who's played a lot of sports and golf, addressing the lie, or addressing the ball, all these other things, they are clearly defined to me. I guess for some it could be a bit of a struggle, because there isn't really a black and white written definition of it.

I know this is kind of the opposite of the typical discussion.

First, everyone on all of my cards have been great. And no one has said anything about my pace of play. I probably play slower than most, but I'm not too worried about going over 30 seconds. However, everybody seems to talk about Nikko and Gannon Buhr and TD's talk about slower players at every player's meeting and someone seems to always bring it up while waiting to start our round. So it is kind of a concern in the back of my mind, especially since the excessive time rules are so abstract.

I've played with a lot of guys that play really fast. I had an incident where I threw off my tee and as I was watching my shot, I stepped backwards and stepped on the foot of the guy throwing after me and rolled my ankle a bit. I've played with a couple of guys that are 50 feet down the fairway and almost jogging before the last person's tee shot has landed and will let go of their approach shot within 2 or 3 seconds of when the previous player's shot has landed.

This is sort of exacerbated by the fact that I've been on the card with much higher rated players and the biggest deficiency in my game is distance. So I'm frequently last on the box and then throwing my 2nd shot first. I was on a card a while back where I was rated 100 points lower than everyone else and though I played a pretty good round (I shot +8 and everyone else was +4 or +5), I threw back to back shots on probably 14 holes.

So how do you manage the pace when the rest of the card is basically standing at your shot and you are grabbing your bag back at the tee? I know that you are supposed to think about your shot as you are walking to it, but you frequently can't see your stance or what lines are available until you get to your disc. And ideally, I want to stop and catch my breathe, take a sip of water, and so forth.

First, Play YOUR game.

If you got guys stepping on the tee box before your shot has hit the ground getting ready to throw. That's on them and poor form.
The floor is still yours essentially.
I think theoretically you could call a curtesy violation on them. but, that's a whole different topic.

Nobody is ever going to fuss much about a player who doesn't throw far if he throws it in the fairway, or knows where his disc is.
The only problem I ever have is when you play with people who continually walk passed your disc like you're not there. And that's not cool. It generally means that the other players have checked out on your play. But I've had them do it during rounds where I'm the longest drive and I Just waited 5-10 minutes for all the players better than me to chip out of the woods and upshot to the basket.

People get focused on their game and forget about playing responsibly sometimes.

As long as you're not taking 30 practice swings every shot every time the whole round then throwing. People wont be bothered much by time usage.

People generally don't like players who take 30 or more seconds EVERY shot. Ala, standing there doing practice swing after practice swing after practice swing.
You do that in a field.

If you're looking at 4 shots per hole on average for a golfer like this, that's 2 minutes per hole. times 18. We've lost a minimum of 30 minutes in the round waiting on 1 person every shot. When things are put into that perspective, people understand a bit more. But that's generally the person who people get upset at.

The best way to really give a clue as to somebody in this position.
If they play slow, but all their intentions seem deliberate towards the shot. ala, You're following a routine every time, even if its a bit slower than other people, but you throw a controlled shot.
Nobody will generally care.
If you just look lost in space and have an excessive routine that you continually do over and over and over every hole every shot, then you're the guy they are talking about at the players meeting.

Set up a camera, and do your FULL routine for your drive and upshot, and see how long it times out to be.

Sometimes our routines are us faffing about for no reason, and we can improve on our ability by tightening up our pre shot routine and pushing ourselves harder and end up throwing better from it as well.

I hope any of that made any bit of sense.
I slept in today and my brain is foggy.

My play suffers when I am rushed. Especially on hole 14 when I get the text, "how much longer" from my lovely wife. Sometimes one of the guys I'm playing with will need to hurry up to be done by a certain time. In speedy situations, I feel like I have
* rushed to my lie instead of walking casually
* grabbed a disc I know instead of debating the best shot shape and landing angle
* thrown with less regard for consequences like ceiling, and landing areas to avoid
* forgotten to consider wind

The increased heart rate from quick exertion and increased stress from results snowball quickly into 'I suck', which results in even more stress.

That being said, I also do poorly with very slow play, feeling like I lose rhythm. Looking for multiple discs on the card, or even having the longest throw and waiting on one or two shots from everyone else before I throw again.

Basically, when everything is perfect, I feel like a decent golfer.

'How you feel' rarely translates to 'who you are'

I definitely haven't been in your spot....most tournaments I've been in have backed up. The last one I was in, by the third hole each day we were waiting on almost every shot. Usually the issue isn't the players it's the TD trying to get too many groups out and not giving enough time/space between the groups.

I definitely haven't been in your spot....most tournaments I've been in have backed up. The last one I was in, by the third hole each day we were waiting on almost every shot. Usually the issue isn't the players it's the TD trying to get too many groups out and not giving enough time/space between the groups.

Oh, we still end up waiting, which makes it more frustrating. Why are you practically running to my disc then alternately staring at me and your watch when there are 3 groups on the tee pad ahead of us?

I mentioned the tournament last weekend, Sat afternoon round we got backed up by the juniors. There were 2 cards of MA50, we were first and the second card ended up at the tee box on multiple holes before we could tee off.

One of the guys was complaining about 30 seconds for the card ahead and he said the 30 second rule starts when it is your turn and not when you reach your lie. Because I'm here and we have lots of discussion on this subject, I can practically quote the rule book, so I knew this interpretation was incorrect. Regardless, the guy was just venting so I chose not to debate that issue.

I think I'm a bit slow on the course--not sure. I don't think I exceed or come close to 30 seconds normally, but I'm not in a giant rush either. I want to enjoy the game.

IF someone felt I was taking too long and they commented on it w/o being a jerk, I'd thank them and make an effort to speed up.

In fact I was working on getting in to some nasty rough with briers and told my card mates, "sorry I'm slowing things up" and they were cool with it ("no rush").

I think as long as you are deliberate in your actions it isn't a big problem.

for the most part, I laugh at them inside and revel in the fact that I am competing against guys with such little poise. Especially the guys who have the need to putt before the previous player has cleared his disc and stepped away from the basket.

I had an incident where I threw off my tee and as I was watching my shot, I stepped backwards and stepped on the foot of the guy throwing after me and rolled my ankle a bit. .

I've said forever that there should be a rule that player B cannot step foot on the teepad until player A has stepped off. I actually find it hard to believe this isn't a rule already. I've seen people collide like this before. Maybe that altercation between Bradley Williams and Matt Dollar was partally because of this, with Matt rushing on to the tee before Brad came off and Brad shoulder checked him. I'm not saying he should have done this, but I can see how these types of things can happen when you turn around after throwing your shot and some dude is right up in your grill.

vaguely remember a time when casuals slowing down a course was a complaint, seems times have changed

"your not even a has been, your a never was" - Coach Bombay Might Ducks

I deliberately practice being fast, that way if I ever need extra time for a certain shot my "slow" will be faster and also less likely to be called if I go a little over my time, since I'm normally so fast.

Also allows me to practice patience since I often have to wait on the tee, plus I get more golf done in less time.

I cannot stand backups during tournaments. Absolutely kills my game to stand around.
I just overloaded a course yesterday for a tournament with new players and bearly had backups. hahaha.

for the most part, I laugh at them inside and revel in the fact that I am competing against guys with such little poise. Especially the guys who have the need to putt before the previous player has cleared his disc and stepped away from the basket.

I just dont feel like waiting for somebody to casually walk up to the basket to grab their putter and then casually walk out of my way. An action that should take just a few moments they make into a big show as they just don't care.

I've said forever that there should be a rule that player B cannot step foot on the teepad until player A has stepped off. I actually find it hard to believe this isn't a rule already. I've seen people collide like this before. Maybe that altercation between Bradley Williams and Matt Dollar was partally because of this, with Matt rushing on to the tee before Brad came off and Brad shoulder checked him. I'm not saying he should have done this, but I can see how these types of things can happen when you turn around after throwing your shot and some dude is right up in your grill.

To be fair. Dollar is a bit of a douchebag.

I deliberately practice being fast, that way if I ever need extra time for a certain shot my "slow" will be faster and also less likely to be called if I go a little over my time, since I'm normally so fast.

Also allows me to practice patience since I often have to wait on the tee, plus I get more golf done in less time.

I don't really practice being fast, but I practice not being slow. I practice thinking about my next shot before i get to my shot. I practice looking for better lines and other things, so when I approach my lie, I can see the lines quickly, grab a disc and hit the line/gap/whatever. It's not rocket science, we dont need to get equipment out to measure the rotation speed of the earth along with the pull of the moon.

There are times to think about shots a bit more, when you got some trees to navigate, and you need to hit a complex angle, etc. And thats where I feel its important to be understanding.

But your standard basic golf shots should not take excessive time ever.

I mentioned the tournament last weekend, Sat afternoon round we got backed up by the juniors. There were 2 cards of MA50, we were first and the second card ended up at the tee box on multiple holes before we could tee off.

One of the guys was complaining about 30 seconds for the card ahead and he said the 30 second rule starts when it is your turn and not when you reach your lie. Because I'm here and we have lots of discussion on this subject, I can practically quote the rule book, so I knew this interpretation was incorrect. Regardless, the guy was just venting so I chose not to debate that issue.

I think I'm a bit slow on the course--not sure. I don't think I exceed or come close to 30 seconds normally, but I'm not in a giant rush either. I want to enjoy the game.

IF someone felt I was taking too long and they commented on it w/o being a jerk, I'd thank them and make an effort to speed up.

In fact I was working on getting in to some nasty rough with briers and told my card mates, "sorry I'm slowing things up" and they were cool with it ("no rush").

I think as long as you are deliberate in your actions it isn't a big problem.

I think there is kind of a thing with some golfers and those golfers just don't quite understand a few things.
And I'm not really gonna pick on anyone in here, but this came to mind when I was thinking about a local golfer here who is happy with his game and happy not doing anything differently.
He wants to come and participate in local stuff, but while he's grown better in his game, somewhat, he's okay with being crap, he's okay with being slow and he's not trying to improve.
He will tell you he's happy to just get out and throw discs, but takes excessive time on every shot.
He's in the fairway, but he doesn't throw far. He's pleasant to be around and a nice person. But he's just a hold up, and I think that there might be players out there who are not necessarily intentionally playing slow, but they really legit have 0 idea how long they take every shot. As well, they have no idea how all these pump fakes and whatever it is they are doing on the tee box doesn't help them one bit.
To them they are playing "casual" golf. But regardless of casual or not casual, Cause... Well> I'm a casual golfer. I understand that time is a respectful thing.
Nobody will be upset when you take a bit extra time for complicated things. "I'm stuck in briars, give me a sec." Nobody getting upset, they understand.
I'm standing in a field taking 10 practice swings per shot. Everyone gonna be upset, cause you throw 1500-200 feet. Then take 10 practice swings and throw up to everyone's first drive.
But to them, they dont realize they are being "slow slow"
Vs just "casual"

That makes no sense.
Well maybe it does.
I dont think i explained it well.

But there are people on the course that are happy with just playing the game, but they have no idea that their actions are a bit irritating to everyone else around them.

Played 2 relatively tough layouts yesterday and was a total non-issue.

Played 2 relatively tough layouts yesterday and was a total non-issue.

It's nice when things just flow and it goes great. Nothing better than those rounds.
They feel so much more relaxed and you tend to play better.