• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aiming

Prost

So I've really tried to be patient with my driving and my distance is slowly getting better. I even feel like I'm getting better at throwing the distance I want to. My problem now is that every other drive I'm throwing to a different place than I'm aiming. Sometimes it's right of the spot I'm aiming and sometimes it's left. My motion feels the same to me, but I just feel like I have no idea where the disc is going to go sometimes. Are there any drills I can work on or is this something else that will improve with time? Thanks in advance.

Once you start to get your form dialed in, your disc will be ripping out of your grip, and in pretty much the exact same place each time- so you do all your aiming with your feet and shoulder alignment. Right now the disc is inconsistently releasing since you are adjusting your form. It's something that will get more consistent as you improve all parts of your form.

From One Novice to Another

1 - Start with a stand still throw using a disc you can control. For me, this means Mids or P&A. Resist the temptation to try to throw for distance until you develop a consistent (for you) throw that you like and can repeat. Gain confidence.

2 - Add x-step or (insert favorite run up technique here), gain additional distance and confidence.

3 - Add higher speed or higher weight discs, gain (or lose distance and confidence).

4 - Rinse and repeat.

I find that the majority of time when I really screw the pooch on tee boxes is because I see trees/obstacles instead of flight paths. Field practice should show you more useful information when building or refining your throws.

Good Luck !

Resist the temptation to throw as hard as you can every time. If your absolute max distance is 300ft but your form crumbles when you try to throw that far, don't even try. So when you walk up to a 300ft hole what do you do? Settle for the accurate 250ft shot over ruining your form trying to get the disc all the way there. Just play to hit fairways and work on muscle memory and a solid throwing form. It takes a lot of time and work, but thankfully it's fun because it's disc golf! lol.

I watched this, found some things I could try out and went and played a round. It felt better when it clicked and I scored lower than I ever have, but I feel like I'm turning over my drives. Only one solution...more field work! Thanks everyone for your help.

Try to hold onto the outside of the disc as long as possible. It will put some more spin on the disc and stabilize it.

So I've really tried to be patient with my driving and my distance is slowly getting better. I even feel like I'm getting better at throwing the distance I want to. My problem now is that every other drive I'm throwing to a different place than I'm aiming. Sometimes it's right of the spot I'm aiming and sometimes it's left. My motion feels the same to me, but I just feel like I have no idea where the disc is going to go sometimes. Are there any drills I can work on or is this something else that will improve with time? Thanks in advance.

Honestly, angular accuracy basically only improves through repetition.. and extremely slowly even with that. Take a look at this chart, just to get a visual representation of the challenge:

PoPWHitGap.jpg

What the chart above is measuring is the angular accuracy (in number of degrees +/- the correct line, by frequency) of red (players with average rating of 850), blue (players with average rating of 950), and gold (players with average rating of 1000) when throwing full-distance. As you can see, basically between red and blue players don't get any appreciable amount better at their angular accuracy. They throw farther, certainly, and putt better, but when it comes to hitting the perfect line (to within a few degrees) there just isn't much difference at all between them. The difference doesn't really become noticeable until you look at the gold group.. and these are generally players that have been playing (fairly seriously) for years.

So not to be too pessimistic, but just practice a lot. ;)

Keep more width between your upper arm and chest.

Both of my arms are about the same level, though I haven't measured...:\

Aiming is a matter of visualizing and executing; much like darts or billiards. You understand the results and then replicate the actions.

I hope that's vaguely apocryphal enough.

I adjust... so, if I'm throwing off to the right, I adjust my stance to compensate and aim wrong on purpose...

That's something that you have to feel out though. 2nd on not throwing full power... muscling it too much will degrade aim.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm really starting to get frustrated now. I'm not throwing in the 330 range if I really get on a drive. When I go to the local middle school football field for field work, I'll start in front of the goal posts and aim right at the far goal posts. When I release the disc the flight is to the far right corner of the football field (before fade takes over). When I get to the course, my throws have a similar flight path 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time the disc could go anywhere. I've tried slowing down, concentrating on throwing a line not to a location, everything I can think of. Should I just plan to throw right? Do I need to give it more time? Any suggestions would be awesome.

There's this product they make called "aiming fluid" it comes in 12 packs, or 4 or 6 packs for some of the better quality fluids, each pack will usually run around $10-15 depending on quantity and quality contained. I recommend ingesting at least 4 to 6 cans of the stuff to really see the results. This stuff is touchy though, there's a sweet spot right around that 5 number that if you go too far beyond your aim is going to be worse off than when you started.

Do you have it in stock at Bald Eagle?????

There's this product they make called "aiming fluid" it comes in 12 packs, or 4 or 6 packs for some of the better quality fluids, each pack will usually run around $10-15 depending on quantity and quality contained. I recommend ingesting at least 4 to 6 cans of the stuff to really see the results. This stuff is touchy though, there's a sweet spot right around that 5 number that if you go too far beyond your aim is going to be worse off than when you started.

Ha! I have a buddy who call my Wild Turkey and diet coke "straightening fluid" and it's so true. I play my best golf in that 4-6 beverage sweet spot.

Sweet! If brewing up a batch takes hay, mesquite, or holly berries I could whip up a batch this weekend!

Gotta be careful with the home brew. If not done correctly, it causes griplock and OAT...

It's call "spray", disc going everywhere. It's normal for this stage of your development. There are any number us that will tell you all kinds of stuff to address you question, but there is no substitute for practice.

Here's a few things I do and maybe they will work for you.

1. See your shot. Visualize the flight line. Watch a few seasoned players on any tee pad and they will work through this process as part of a pre-throw routine. A slow motion movement to ensure they are secure with regard to their decision.

2. Foot work. Make sure you are pointed in the correct direction. Honestly, if your pointed left your disc will go to the left. Plant your front foot in the correct location. Know where you are on the Tee becomes second nature at some point. Plus you work this out during step one for most shots.

3. Aim for a point 50-75 feet out in the space ahead of you on the flight line you visualized in step one and let the disc to the rest. If you hit this midpoint the disc normal does what you expect.

4. Pray, ok maybe this should be step one.

Have fun

What helps me with my accuracy is keeping the front foot perpendicular to the target. Aim with your front shoulder at the target and aim with your front elbow at the target.