• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Air Friction - matte surface vs smooth

ninjalectual1

On the Gateway Discs website, a writer says "the more matted the finish on a disc, the less contact the air makes with the disc's surface. We try very hard to create a matted finish with the rubber in our materials, causing less surface friction and a reduction in drag."

Is this completely crazy, or am I crazy for not getting it? It seems to me that the matte surface would act like ten thousand little ridges, each adding slightly more friction, in the same way a really beat up disc made of soft plastic (like Innova's DX) would.

Or can the matte surface really act like the dimples on a golf ball? Something's missing here, and I don't trust my understanding enough to confidently say "you're wrong!"

It seems to me that the matte surface would act like ten thousand little ridges, each adding slightly more friction, in the same way a really beat up disc made of soft plastic (like Innova's DX) would.

I think this is the part that is confusing you. A beat up disc acts like a golf ball the same way the matte finish does. Or at least thats what its supposed to do.

By providing thousands pores for air to latch onto, the matte finish allows air to remain trapped at the surface of the disc. This creates a smoother profile aerodynamically.

Last edited:
By providing thousands pores for air to latch onto, the matte finish allows air to remain trapped at the surface of the disc. This creates a smoother profile aerodynamically.

So beat in DX/Pro D discs are more aerodynamic than Champ/Z plastic discs? So baseline plastics have more potential distance &/or glide than premium plastics? Can someone break down the plastics for me please.

So beat in DX/Pro D discs are more aerodynamic than Champ/Z plastic discs? So baseline plastics have more potential distance &/or glide than premium plastics? Can someone break down the plastics for me please.
In my experience and observations from the forums in the years I've been here this has always been the case.

As far as I know, the physics behind it is that with smooth surface the boundary layer (the air that the disc is pulling along with it) remains laminar (the air is flowing uniformly) for a longer period of time. This, in itself, would reduce drag, but when the boundary layer becomes turbulent, it can detach from the surface and greatly reduce drag. The matte surface forces the boundary layer to become turbulent sooner, and thus prevents separation. This same principle is important to aircraft wings, and is why some model airplanes will have sandpaper on the leading edge or their wings.

As far as I know, the physics behind it is that with smooth surface the boundary layer (the air that the disc is pulling along with it) remains laminar (the air is flowing uniformly) for a longer period of time. This, in itself, would reduce drag, but when the boundary layer becomes turbulent, it can detach from the surface and greatly reduce drag. The matte surface forces the boundary layer to become turbulent sooner, and thus prevents separation. This same principle is important to aircraft wings, and is why some model airplanes will have sandpaper on the leading edge or their wings.

Reread again. You just said the exact opposite in corresponding sentences.:\