• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All discs the same weight or do you vary?

I think you should try out differant weights. You could find that you like a lighter weight disc for a certain shot. For me I like to use light weight discs uphill and down wind.

Drivers - 172
Putters/Mids - 175
Rocs - 175-180

I'm getting pretty superstitious about the 172 weight. Almost all my drivers right now have this exact weight.

I am surprised by how many people throw 150 class discs. Especially when throwing other discs at max or near max weight.

I am surprised by how many people throw 150 class discs. Especially when throwing other discs at max or near max weight.

Me too, it's something I'll never understand, well unless, you're going to the Japan Open.

I play in windy conditions though so heavier works out better, I guess.

Me too, it's something I'll never understand, well unless, you're going to the Japan Open.

I play in windy conditions though so heavier works out better, I guess.

Second that thought. It's always windy around here, so I'll always go for the heaviest available.

Heavier putters and mids(178-180grams) and fairway drivers.(172-176)- normally these discs respond well to lighter and heavier throws, but when using extra sauce or throwing in wind, it is always nice to use heavy discs.

Lighter drivers(168-172)- these discs are fast enough but overstable enough to put up with harder throws, but you may squeak out a slight more distance with lighter plastics as their glide seems to hold longer. Any fast disc, regardless of weight will respond differently in the wind, so good disc selection and throw makes more sense than just going to a heavier driver.

Heavier wind or skip discs like boss, max, monster.- these discs need weight in the wind and lighter weights don't skip any better or worse.

One more thing...Z and Champion plastics are usually more overstable than other plastics

i used to buy max weight everything until all the new discs started turning into meat hooks at that weight. now i don't know what i am doing

I try to have a couple dif't driver weights depending on conditions, 170 champ boss and 175 are dif't animals in a headwind for instance. Local course is gen'ly windy, so it's a factor

Mids I prefer >= 175, putters around 170, 175 for my driving Wizard, fairways vary, been really digging a 167 pro leopard that's a new edition for anny drives...

I can thank the Discraft misprint deal for expanding my palette of weights, really found myself liking some of the lighter drivers that came (Surge, Crush), around 167 or so can really fly.. Before that I got everything in 175 if I could

Putters max weight.
Mids - generally heavy
Drivers I like to keep about the same as mids, some of my less stable ones I like heavier.

HPP Wizard- 175g
Organic Wizard - 175g
Supersoft Wizard - 175g
Supersoft Wizard - 172g <-worn and loved

X Comet - 171g
Z Comet - 177g
X Buzzz - 168g
Z Buzzz - 168g <- I like teh comets heavier and the buzzes at about 168

ESP Nuke - 174g
Z Wildcat - 169g
X Wildcat - 174g
X Wildcat - unknown but I'd say between 173 and 175
Pro Destroyer - 168g
Pro Destroyer - 171g
Echo Star Destroyer - 175g
Z Flick - 172g (best about 168 as well)
Z Flick - 150g

All my discs are 170-175. AT least thats what they say on the bottom. I feel like having these weight help me put more power into the disc and I know what they are going to do.

I usually get mid-ranges and putters in max weight and drivers in mid-to-high 160's.
I have lightened up the weights on my drivers as I have gained more experience, but have not moved down on my mid-ranges and putters. Couldn't tell you why, but maybe it's because that's what I'm used to and it seems to work. However, you do have me thinking about it...

The slower the disc the heavier I like it to be. Almost all of my drivers are 150, mids 165, putters 175. Most of my rounds are played using my mids and putter.

Putters and Mids I like max weight, overstable/stable drivers 165-170, understable drivers 170-174.

I have more consistency using them that way.

That is crazy how many people are doing that. I have never discussed it with anyone and I have the same set up. Over the years I just slowly found what works for me and ended up with that same set-up.

I like my putter around 170, mids I like max. Drivers, I like some 150, others 165-170. Depends on wind conditions.

Latest posts