• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All quiet on the western front

I always kinda liked the dogmatic nature of this forum. But yeah there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I am starting to miss this place.

Yeah a lot has happened. Wait they changed the beast again? I don't know if this place will ever be the same.

keltik said:
Yeah a lot has happened. Wait they changed the beast again? I don't know if this place will ever be the same.

Newbie: I picked up a Beast in the used bin at PIAS the other day.

Collector Nerd: Nice, is it the old mold or the new mold?

Newbie: I think it's the new mold.

Collector Nerd: Oh cool... wait, is it the new old mold or the old new mold?

Newbie: :crazy:

Collector Nerd: :wtf:

Jeronimo said:
PMantle said:
domromer said:
I always found this forum very dogmatic and if you didn't agree you were quickly piled up on by members who did follow the dogma.
Yup

Double yup.

Err like in driving dogma is like one thing that is taught here? One as in straight line pulls and run ups vs diagonal running and straight pulls, double pivot and the specialty cases of 360, 720? Pitch vs spin putt, straddle stance and staggered. I never was much for ultimate disc minimalism i was more of a reserve specialty discs for get out of jail shots plus some variety for easeness of achieving the necessary shots with more discs than the ultimate minimalism setup. So i was never a fan of that "dogma" from the get go except for teaching new players what one can do with any given disc. Which is of course a heck of a more than one line. Or two. Buzz vs Roc was as much alive here always as anywhere. And i say that now there are more competitors some of which are superior to them finally. Where is the dogma in that?

rhatton2 said:
I would love to see some good level discussion back on DGR again and am trying to direct traffic from Reddit and DGCR with many links to articles and forum threads, not sure if its working but lets start getting some technique stuff going again. That was the draw once the disc reviews dried up and still should be. There are a lot of very experienced very informative people on these forums and in the last couple of years they must have privately found other ways to teach their knowledge to others - lets get sharing again.

I share my secrets on DGCR all the time. Pretty sure no one ever reads it though. Kinda frustrating, which is why I only respond to the posts where it looks like someone is actually going to benefit from the advice. Because honestly -- 99% of the people trying to learn how to disc golf on the internets, won't get any better. I'm not being negative, but most people spend more time posting videos of their 3 minute driving sessions than they do getting better in the field.

I work too much to get to play very often anymore. When I do play, I've locked into my current bag setup pretty well. My years of plastic whoring finally burned out and now I usually only try out a couple of new drivers a year and leave my mids and putters as is. I started lurking the board again recently and was sad to see how much it had died off. I'll be around.

NoLifeLeft said:
I work too much to get to play very often anymore. When I do play, I've locked into my current bag setup pretty well. My years of plastic whoring finally burned out and now I usually only try out a couple of new drivers a year and leave my mids and putters as is. I started lurking the board again recently and was sad to see how much it had died off. I'll be around.

Yeah I joined up here, some awesome posts on this board, but the traffic in and out of is pretty slow. Still tons of great information to be had for a newbie like myself.

zj1002 said:
I share my secrets on DGCR all the time. Pretty sure no one ever reads it though. Kinda frustrating, which is why I only respond to the posts where it looks like someone is actually going to benefit from the advice.

I realize it's frustrating because it usually blows over most people's heads, but I for one, greatly appreciate all your posts. I've read through every post on here from certain users (yours included) in my "quest". I actually have some questions that maybe you could answer since it seems like most of the people on here are dormant.

niq said:
zj1002 said:
I share my secrets on DGCR all the time. Pretty sure no one ever reads it though. Kinda frustrating, which is why I only respond to the posts where it looks like someone is actually going to benefit from the advice.

I realize it's frustrating because it usually blows over most people's heads, but I for one, greatly appreciate all your posts. I've read through every post on here from certain users (yours included) in my "quest". I actually have some questions that maybe you could answer since it seems like most of the people on here are dormant.

Agreed.

niq said:
zj1002 said:

Yeah I got no problem answering what I can. Fire away.

But be warned my answers almost always focus on weight shift and staying balanced :D

The reality is you have to have an athletic posture all the way through the shot. Most people can solve a majority of their form problems by getting on their toes and bending their knees. Shifting weight from back to front with the disc. If you work on that for a month it will start to correct a lot of the issues. You will feel how easy it is to get the disc into the "pocket" and move it forward on the plane/angle you desire.

I just really can't implement anything I read about. Videos are the only thing I can actually use. Even still, this is much harder than golf. I can implement new swing thoughts or actions so much easier. I fear I am stuck forever throwing how I throw.

Stringbean said:
zj1002 said:
Yeah I got no problem answering what I can. Fire away.

What happened to Discnation's foreday sales?

We still will run Fore!day every week, just not right now. Most manufacturers are closed until 1/5 and there have been some major changes with shipping for 2015. Plus having to do year-end inventory.

Fore!day isn't going away, its a staple of DN now. Just not ideal for these couple weeks after Christmas

PMantle said:
I just really can't implement anything I read about. Videos are the only thing I can actually use. Even still, this is much harder than golf. I can implement new swing thoughts or actions so much easier. I fear I am stuck forever throwing how I throw.

Yeah I learned by watching videos. I don't think I ever uploaded a video of myself for critique. I focus a lot of my training on understanding how a new component affects everything else. I just trust that it is working. I "re-discover" like 20 things about my form every time I hit the field.

For example I spent a lot of time working with Avery and Feldbergs "pre-throw motions" a few years ago. It took a while for me to finally understand that these motions help time the weight shift and core, rather than the arm movements. Feldbergs rocking form is great for feeling your weight shift back as you bring it in, and then move forward as you push off the back foot. I don't throw like him, but I use that concept to practice my timing.

Latest posts