• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Alpha - Power Fairway

zj1002

* Ace Member *
Figured I'd make a thread for just the Alpha. In time the MINT thread will be about more than the Alpha and I want people to be able to find the info they need about the Alpha somewhere else.

We've just released our 2nd Run and have found it to be a little less high speed stable across the board. The disc is now also down to 165g and the domes mostly came out flatter which is why we are starting to see the straighter flight at high speeds. I think this should make the disc a lot more accessible. These slight differences in flight between runs is a large reason I wanted to pursue using the Serial #. As a long time user here, my biggest goal was to create something where we gave you all the information you needed to buy your favorite version of the disc.

Here are some links worth checking out if you want to learn more.

Disc Golf Nerd Youtube Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7awu_s4Vg

MINT Discs official flight ratings for Run 1 - by color:
https://mintdiscs.com/blogs/news/so-whats-this-alpha-all-about

Chase Hayden Youtube Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuPrusNVkqw

Second Run Information Including Skulboy Alphas:
https://mintdiscs.com/blogs/news/2nd-run-alpha-available-september-1st

Serial # Database:
https://mintdiscs.com/pages/mint-discs-serial
The Serial # database will be redone soon so that it's easier to access/sort. This will have to do until we have more than the Alpha :)
I'm aiming to release this following in the coming weeks:
  • Flight Ratings for 2nd Run - based on consumer, team, retail store and internal feedback.
  • 2nd Run quantities for Serial # database
  • Flight Review videos of the difference between First Run & 2nd
  • MINT Team reviews/blog about their favorite Alphas and why

Looking forward to comparing this second run Yellow Apex to my Tyrants. The first run Blue Apex has been my most thrown disc over the past month, so also interested to see if the lighter weight Sublime may fly out of the box like that one is flying now after a couple of months of serious abuse.

How would you compare this disc to a Rival? Looking for something that will fit nicely between my Rival and Enemy...and definitely happy to support a company from TX.

How would you compare this disc to a Rival? Looking for something that will fit nicely between my Rival and Enemy...and definitely happy to support a company from TX.

Short version - more distance potential, same accuracy and handles power & wind better.

I always had to find a "good" Rival when I was on Legacy. I haven't found a bad Alpha and I'm usually honest about that kind of stuff. I loved the Rival when I was on Legacy, but the Alpha just does so much more than the Rival can, while still fitting the exact same slot in the bag. Forehand, backhand, overhead, roller, headwind or tailwind...the flight is predictable and nearly the same in all conditions. It is just one of those discs that can handle everything. A real go-to disc.

Short version - more distance potential, same accuracy and handles power & wind better.

I always had to find a "good" Rival when I was on Legacy. I haven't found a bad Alpha and I'm usually honest about that kind of stuff. I loved the Rival when I was on Legacy, but the Alpha just does so much more than the Rival can, while still fitting the exact same slot in the bag. Forehand, backhand, overhead, roller, headwind or tailwind...the flight is predictable and nearly the same in all conditions. It is just one of those discs that can handle everything. A real go-to disc.

Sounds like the kind of disc I need to try. Which do you suggest I buy as the best introduction to the mold? I usually prefer champ/pinnacle type plastic, so I was eyeing up some of the Eternals in pink or orange. Just not sure if I should go first run or second run.

Uh oh, I just saw the light blue Sublime second runs...wow those look nice.

In the Vibram Open Round 3 videos, I swear Nikko is throwing a blue disc that looks like an Alpha, at least the stamp does and it looks fairway driverish.

In the Vibram Open Round 3 videos, I swear Nikko is throwing a blue disc that looks like an Alpha, at least the stamp does and it looks fairway driverish.

Thought the same thing, but figured I was seeing something incorrectly.

Best angle I can get... Kind of looks like a MINT on there with the howling wolf? Ish? The other blue disc Nikko was using in R3 was stamped with a Koi fish.

Anyway, MINT?
sD3fbjH.png

Sounds like the kind of disc I need to try. Which do you suggest I buy as the best introduction to the mold? I usually prefer champ/pinnacle type plastic, so I was eyeing up some of the Eternals in pink or orange. Just not sure if I should go first run or second run.

I'd honestly recommend any Sublime, 2nd Run Eternal or Purple Apex(2nd). Those fly like we expect. The others have a tick more or less high speed stability. The first run eternals we have left a pretty stable, definitely take a little more juice and some seasoning to get up to speed.

Mail Call!!! Photo does not do the Light Blue Sublime justice...a ton of pearl, stamp shifts from yellow-->gold-->bright orange-->bronze..stoked to go test these against the first run here in about an hour..

Attachments

• 20170905_163548.jpg
    20170905_163548.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 116
Mail Call!!! Photo does not do the Light Blue Sublime justice...a ton of pearl, stamp shifts from yellow-->gold-->bright orange-->bronze..stoked to go test these against the first run here in about an hour..

Report back if you get a chance! I am curious how that light blue sublime flies for you.

Got my 2 orange apex alphas (167, old guy weight) today, hopefully I will be able to throw them (weather dependent) tomorrow............

First impressions of 2nd Run Alphas:

Yellow Apex (172g): Apparently prior to shipping, ZJ drove this disc down to San Antonio, fed it some Bill Miller's and tried to convince this disc that garbage was real BBQ. At least I can't think of any other explanation for why this disc is so pissed off. This is lightning fast out of the hand (just like the first run Apexes) and wants to go left (RHBH) real hard as soon as it loses speed. Every bit as OS as my flat Tyrants but a bit faster and a touch more glide. After 15 or so throws I would put this at 8/5ish/0/2.5-3 (probably closer to 3). Potential for a seriously good utility disc here or at a minimum a wind eating monster of a control driver. You want a mad as hell Thunderbird, then this is for you.

Dark Blue Sublime (172g): This one is interesting and probably right at 8/5/0/2. Not as flat as the Eternals, less dome than the Apex. This wants to go straight for a long time...not right or left, just dead straight for 85% or so of it's flight and then it hooks up with a good bit of attitude to finish to the OS side. This, much like the white apex from the first run, really shines on power hyzers for me. Stay on axis, rip into this thing like a trainee who can't properly make his bed and watch it lock into the line and flat out bomb. 330' pure hyzers should be no problem with this.

Light Blue Sublime (165g): This is pretty rad. A bit of turn but no loss of LSS. 8/5/-0.5/2 would be my guess. The turn is noticeable on a flat release but really is evident if thrown on a hard anny. It doesn't really fight against the anny but doesn't hold for too long either...net result is some very cool, very fast S-turns. There is definitely some long line shot shaping ability with this one, especially for forehand flex lines and BH hyzers that need to flatten just a bit. Flies almost exactly like my seasoned 1st Run Blue Apex. Workhorse potential here as a see a bit of Teebird, a bit of Thundy, a bit of Eagle...just killer out of the box with this one.

That is some good looking plastic. I'll have to give these a try if I ever manage to break my overwhelming Teebird addiction.

Light Blue Sublime (165g): This is pretty rad. A bit of turn but no loss of LSS. 8/5/-0.5/2 would be my guess. The turn is noticeable on a flat release but really is evident if thrown on a hard anny. It doesn't really fight against the anny but doesn't hold for too long either...net result is some very cool, very fast S-turns. There is definitely some long line shot shaping ability with this one, especially for forehand flex lines and BH hyzers that need to flatten just a bit. Flies almost exactly like my seasoned 1st Run Blue Apex. Workhorse potential here as a see a bit of Teebird, a bit of Thundy, a bit of Eagle...just killer out of the box with this one.

I've got the exact same 165g light blue sublime coming in the mail. Now I'm extra excited for it to arrive. That sounds great!

Agree with the -.5/2 rating.

The low speed fade is still there, but it can be worked a little more out of the box.

And yeah the Yellow Apex is like the Firebird of Alphas. It's a one off that still has a place. They all fit a gap/line without being bad versions. Pretty happy overall. You won't see us hiding from the fact that colors can fly a little different.

Latest posts