• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Always ink your discs?

wolito

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
How many of you always sign your discs with your name and number? We should all do this right? Especially if we want our discs back when they accidentally get lost. I have never done this to any of my discs. Generally I lose few discs and when I do from a bad throw or whatever, I figure it is my fault that I threw it wrong. Perhaps it creates more pressure on me to throw a good shot and that if I don't I just may lose my disc. At that point, whomever finds it, can keep it. Is it so wrong of me not to do this? I don't expect to get my discs returned if found be someone else. And yes I believe in Karma and try to return discs to others when I find theirs. What do you think?

I never ink my discs either. It's definitely personal preference, not a matter of right or wrong.

I always put my initials on my disc and that is it. I do this just in case somebody is throwing the same disc as me and I can identify mine. I also read somewhere that if you are playing in a tournament, you need to have some ink on your discs to identify them as yours.

Here it is in the PDGA rules under Equipment and rules number 802.01:

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

I haven't played in any tournaments yet, but I plan to.

I think it matters where you play. If you normally play courses where there are no water hazards, and it is not a usual occurance to lose discs, then it may not be worth it to ink your discs. However, if you play a course with a lot of water hazards, and where there are people who pull the discs out and return them, then it would be very beneficial to write your name and number on the discs.

I have found several discs in the lake at my course with initials or a name, but no number. It makes it very difficult to return the discs without a phone number. If I don't know the person, all I can do is post it on the local message board and ask a couple of locals.

All of my discs are inked w/ name and #.
Out of several that I've lost, only 3 have been returned.

I guess it all goes back to personal preference, as stated earlier by tamahawk...

Wasn't sure what you guys were going to say about it. Thought I was going to get lectured at, but I guess I am not the only one. Good to know about the tournament rule. Will mark mine for a tournament whenever I get around to playing my first one.

I had always put my name on my disc until this year, then added my number but now, when I think about it, all I really want is an identifier to say "this ones mine" an if I lose it, its my fault and I dont really expect anyone to go out of their way to return a $7-$14 disc. For some of the more expensive discs, I doubt anyone would return it anyway.

Might just write my name on it for people that know me and just might see me anyway.

I don't ink DX discs and by now all of my bag is more premium plastic so all the discs in my bag are inked.

I have put my name and # on every disc. I have had two returned to me (both times I hadnt left the course yet, I just forgot one along a fairway and about 10 holes behind the guy called me) and anoher I had thrown onto a frozen pond and someone in the tourney picked it up and got it to me. The rest I have lost in ponds and do not expect to get those back.

I have returned 2 I think and tried to call like 4 other people with their #'s on the disc and noone returned my call. Unbelievable that people dont want the disc back . . . why did thye put their # on the disc

i always put my name and phone number on my discs, i do it the minute i buy them just out of habit, if you ever want to get rid of them you can just use a little acetone and the writing is good as gone

Ny discs have the name of the disc on the rim written 5-7 times. This helps me spot it in the bag quickly and spot on the course if someone has one of my discs:

Bagedit.jpg

I always ink mine just figuring that that gives it a better chamce to make it back to me. If it don't oh well I did lose it so no biggie.
I say ink them because I have now found about three disc with no name or number on them. I post what i have found on the local board but have yet to have anyone claim them. I found a new gateway driver last spring and no one claimed it. I just found one two days ago again with no name. I posted it on the local forum but no one has claimed it yet if it had a number i would call the person and try to return it. I have disc right now that has a name but no number. Once again i posted it on the local forum but the guy has never claimed it. Moral of the story if it's inked with name and number I will call if not well I will try my best but thats about it.

Last edited:
I have not inked only a few discs that have come through my hands. They were 2 discs that I planned on trading and a black disc that I lost about 2 hours after I got it, on its inaugural flight.

I did for a while, but gave up. Out of all of the discs I've ever lost there's only one that I had a chance of getting back and I lost it out of state so I told the guy to keep it.

As someone else pointed out, a "unique" mark is required for tournaments.

you will NEVER get a disc back without some kind of identifying mark, so why not? plus, i play in tourneys and you must mark them or be stroked..AND, i have seen 2 people throw the identical disc and play from each other's lie(2 stroke penalty). i find dozens of discs every year without a thing written in them, so i donate these to "newbs" or to a course fund(unless it is something i love to throw)

I always ink mine as well, once I'm sure I'm going to keep them. I also subscribe to 80played's theory of "Even if you aren't likely to get them back with it, you sure ain't getting them back without it".

Latest posts