• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I alone?

I've updated the status of East Roswell to "unplayable"

Ive heard you cant get into southeast. I have played owens as of Thursday last week. I played crooked also on wed. I have not made the trip to earlewood yet.

Earlewood, being nestled in a neighborhood and without gates, would be hard to shut down---short of bringing in barricades and closing the through-streets. Police could patrol, of course.

Down here on the MS Gulf Coast, we have some courses open and some closed.

All State Park's are shut down, therefore all DG courses within those parks are also shut down.

Local municipalities, such as Biloxi and Gulfport, have left their parks open, but are limiting groups to 4 or less.
(people are out of work and need something to do that is relatively safe for NOT contracting the virus).
( I am not in any leagues, so I have no clue what those guys are doing to be safe)

Ashe Lake, just south of Hattiesburg and north of Wiggins is on federal land, in DeSoto National Forest, and is open
(at least the DG side (south) of the lake is open, the north side of the lake is closed).
We played Ashe on Sunday, and only saw one other group on the course (as is the norm for Ashe Lake, there is a $5 per car fee to play the course, which also keeps a lot of folks away).

Stay smart, play in small groups, no interaction with other groups, no high fiving each other, keep your hands off your face,
wash your hands freguently, and you should be okay.

If you are terrified that someone with the virus, transfers it to their disc, sinks a putt and transfers it to the basket,
then, you sink a putt and transfer it to your disc, then to your hand when you pick it up, for goodness sake, Lysol the baskets
BEFORE you putt, or simply take a gimme inside your "90 % circle". (for me that's around 20 feet).
(if you catch the virus from an infected basket, you really must have the worst luck on the planet)

Play smart, play safely!!

Central Iowa, and I haven't heard of any closures yet. I'm playing solo or with one friend. I have seen a few groups of 5 or six playing.

The Park is closed where I play but if you go later in the afternoon, you can go around fence and play solo. Played a few rounds since the state went into lockdown mode and did not get caught.

i just called the State Park where my home course is. the official line is "you may hike,bike,fish and play disc golf. all other activities such as the restaurant, playgrounds,shelters and ball golf course are closed until further notice".

this particular Park is in a rural county with 0 confirmed cases as of this morning. i am going to play! :clap:

Where I live in Maine the courses are only just now starting to melt off so I haven't even tried to play here in months. Closer to Bangor I played a course like three weeks ago that was still open. Sooooo? I've heard of some being closed but I think part of that has to do with where the park is located. Like if it's a private or municipal park they may close them. Private courses I would imagine remain at the owner's discretion.

I have heard that parks are removing disc golf course baskets because the parks are seeing large groups of players. If players won't stay to small groups and keep distance, the parks will find a way to enforce it - closing parks, removing baskets....so far my local courses have stayed playable, but leagues have been canceled and the leagues are asking/reminding people to play solo or in small groups.

The Park is closed where I play but if you go later in the afternoon, you can go around fence and play solo. Played a few rounds since the state went into lockdown mode and did not get caught yet.

Ftfy. And
Quote:
"See, that's why we can't have nice things..."

The Park is closed where I play but if you go later in the afternoon, you can go around fence and play solo. Played a few rounds since the state went into lockdown mode and did not get caught.
OIP.G8IRfb1_F2W3inQZNcwF5AHaEK

i was shocked by the number of people playing thursday. i expected to basically have the course to ourselves which is the case on a weekday. my son and i played a very poor round that was increasingly uncomfortable as we observed people ignoring any semblance of distancing, touching each other and others discs. we didn't play our usual 2nd round as even more people continued to show up.

i guess we will just continue to play putting /upshot games in the back yard for the foreseeable future.

I think COVID19 is pulling off the veil and its becoming easier to see just how stipid people really are.

Maybe more people will believe me when I tell them that people are stupid

Not only at the DG Course...

Stop lights and stop signs have become suggestions apparently.

I had to pick up a prescription for a sibling yesterday,
I'd say at least 5 different vehicles didn't even come close to stopping at an intersection with a 4 way stop (signs). :doh:
Another 3 cars that barely slowed down while running a red light. :wall:

As for Columbia, SC--which is where this thread started---since the city's now on shelter-in-place, all courses in the city limits should be considered closed.

As I understand it, Crooked Creek in Chapin (outside of the city) is still open. Not sure how long that lasts, particularly with the mob golfers.

i was shocked by the number of people playing thursday. i expected to basically have the course to ourselves which is the case on a weekday. my son and i played a very poor round that was increasingly uncomfortable as we observed people ignoring any semblance of distancing, touching each other and others discs. we didn't play our usual 2nd round as even more people continued to show up.

i guess we will just continue to play putting /upshot games in the back yard for the foreseeable future.

My experience was similar Friday near Fort Worth. I was playing a solo round and witnessed at least three groups practicing social undistancing. Two groups were obviously playing doubles, and the partners walked fairways together (no more than two feet apart), sat on benches next to each other at the tee and returned discs to each other. On Wednesday, I spoke (from a distance of about 10 feet) to a disc golfer who talked about playing a mini Tuesday night, the day shelter in place orders were issued for our city and county.

I have two baskets, so I have practiced putting a lot over the past couple of weeks.