• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I The Only One That Does This?

This is technically illegal, BTW, so just don't tell anyone if you play a PDGA tourney. You are only allowed to "alter" your disc if it could injure your hand while throwing it or some BS like that.

I wash my discs occasionally, and I also found that fine grain sandpaper and soapy water get pond scum off a disc well, and didn't even feel rough (good plastic though, haven't tried cheap stuff). Also illegal.

You can sand down knicks, etc...

C. Players may not make post-production
modification of discs which alter their
original flight characteristics. This rule
does not forbid inevitable wear and tear
from usage during play or the moderate
sanding of discs to smooth molding
imperfections or scrape marks
. Discs
excessively sanded or painted with a
material of detectable thickness are
illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F

I've washed them once, after playing in horribly rainy and mucky conditions.

This is technically illegal, BTW, so just don't tell anyone if you play a PDGA tourney. You are only allowed to "alter" your disc if it could injure your hand while throwing it or some BS like that.

I wash my discs occasionally, and I also found that fine grain sandpaper and soapy water get pond scum off a disc well, and didn't even feel rough (good plastic though, haven't tried cheap stuff). Also illegal.

Yeah techincally that could be considered illegal. The rule reads

"802.01 Discs Used in Play"
"C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. "

I wash mine. Not very often though. It is good to get the dirt and grime off your disc and remember how it feels clean. Take a small cap full of bleach plenty of water and a little diswashing detergent (grease cutter kind) and fill up your utility sink so the water covers everything. Throw em in and start washing. You can use a Scott Brite pad to smooth down nicks (don't use too much pressure) but it can put small microscopic scratches in your disc. Remember every imperfection creates drag. Fine grit sandpaper 180+ is good or you can try a drywall sanding sponge. Just sand enough to remove the rough edge you don't want to alter the plate it won't fly right.

ive never done it, but it sounds like a good idea! if my discs are muddy, ill start doing that too

i've washed mine once or twice but normally i just take the towel from my bag and wipe mud or dirt off them so they feel better in my hand.

My discs are kept clean. It is not uncommon to see them in the dry rack next to the dishes. I also started carrying a zip lock baggie of ArmorAll orange cleaning wipes. Yeah, I'm a nut but they work great for getting pine sap off.

Only time i have ever washed one of my discs is when i had to get it out of a gross lagoon, 30 secsi n there and it smells. Other than that, i whipe em off on the grass hwne i pick it up.

I guess I wash them about once each summer to try to get rid of heavy grunge, but I wipe them with a towle pretty frequently during rounds, especially during morning rounds, which probably keeps grunge from building up.

As long as you dont rub them with lotion, or take them in the shower with you... that's probably obsessive behavior.

When you just throw the disc into the chains, it rarely gets dirty . . .

You can sand down knicks, etc...

C. Players may not make post-production
modification of discs which alter their
original flight characteristics. This rule
does not forbid inevitable wear and tear
from usage during play or the moderate
sanding of discs to smooth molding
imperfections or scrape marks
. Discs
excessively sanded or painted with a
material of detectable thickness are
illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F

I've washed them once, after playing in horribly rainy and mucky conditions.

I stand corrected.

I have washed my discs in the sink and cleaned them like I was doing the dishes,and my wife just walked by and shook her head.
LOLZ. Just such a funny image in my head. You're washing her discs and she scratches her head with a well-manicured french tip.

I hate when my discs get caked with dirt and stuff so I since them off in the utility sink every month or two. I don't use soap though because I feel like it leaves a residue and I don't like the grip it leaves, but I my be crazy...:|