• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I too old to expect more?

Classic strong-arming.

In the description under your video you say you're looking for 350ft. All you need to do is work on your timing and get your hips into the throw. Right now you are using your arm and only your arm... Right now your arm swing motion is what causes your torso to turn. <----- that's backwards.

your hips should be causing your arm to pull through.... So your hips should start turning first before your arm even begins to come forward. When you reach back with your disc, you'll find that if you hold your disc steady a fraction of a second, your hips start to turn and your arm will begin moving forward. That power from your hips is what your throw is missing.

There is some other things you can work on, but if you want a cheap and easy fix to throwing an extra 25-50 feet, it's as simple as using your hips.

I am 49yo and love the exercise but the competitive nature always wants more,more,more. Leading the poinst at my local league so ups and putts are good and fairly consistent. Would like a little more D off the tee!!
Blizzards are too inconsistent for me (feels like cheatin') 'just sayin'

Don't sweat it bro. Just play. If you want game, play often. After a few weeks your shoulder will start to be sore from a few inches from your ear to near the end of your shoulder blade. Those are the muscle groups that you haven't needed for awhile growing stronger.

In a few months you will be crushing! Focus on your balance to execute strong running drives. Keep it low and flat. Geez... I hope I can up my own game to par with this post:|

This too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY

Disc flight is not the problem, I can throw the blizzard, seems to hyzer-flip very well, I love my beast, valkrye and even the 164 vulcan. nice little s flight...... teebirds, leopards and rocs work well for me also, It is just D. I know how to throw annys, flex's, flips and hyzer's and can do fair-good tossing different 175-200' lines.... just looking for the d off the tee.

What jrawk (and Med Funk) said. I'll just add that it looked like those throws were flat and low (and nose up), you can only get so much D out of a flat release. Try hyzer flipping or flex shots for that extra D.

durf towel thing durf hurf beato vids durf buorf derp a derp hammer pound etc etc etc etc

LMAO:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Translation (just in case) - read the "technique sticky" [again?] and make sure to focus on the Dan Beto drills (as well as every other).

durf towel thing durf hurf beato vids durf buorf derp a derp hammer pound etc etc etc etc

I have done towel snaps, hammer pounds and even put up a canvas drop cloth in my garage door to do the beato "working the hit backwords" drills. I understand the concept of the hit and snap it is just not coming together:wall: I have been to tournys and watched the open div players trying to see what they are doing. It seems everyone has a little different form but still the rotation from hips up is my downfall, just can't get my body to do it. Of course I will continue to try, just looking for a way to change the bad habit I have created. I know discs are not the answer. There seems to be alot of timing issues and weight transfer does not look right in my vid, and of course hip rotation.
What drill or vid would you suggest to help change rotation issue?

Something I do--any my wife teases me endlessly about it--I walk through the house in a slow x-step consciously slowing everything down and making sure my hips turn before my shoulders.

No, you are not too old...especially at 49! :thmbup:

This is a good video. Push away your chair while you watch it. Stand there and imitate the things he's doing like it's a jazzercise class. Then go to the field and practice it with a disc and some standstill throws. Good basic video worth watching a couple of times, and you can build on it from there.

Last edited:
Okay folks, thanks for the advice and videos, especially the paddlin', I love a good spankin':\. watched the video and tried my best to rotate hips.....dang my back hurts, My back hurts just trying to "jazzersize" to it.. And the cocking the wrist thing too uncomfortable....my old ass don't work like that:eek: Dang I must be gettin old!!!. I will keep trying to slow down and get the hips involved to create more power but this change is killing my back. Trying to implement this new movement has created super high hyzers, worm burners and oat to the right. You all are being tough on the old man... Thanks though:confused:
But hey I'm the one who signed up for this!!

The one thing in the video not to do is cock the wrist/disc to the forearm like he does. That makes it really hard to get the tendon bounce, and stiffens the muscles early.

Not sure about the back hurting, but it could be that your are trying to twist your spine against your hips. You want to keep your spine fairly straight and move your hips and shoulders fairly together into the backswing and use your abs coming back through the downswing. Your max reachback position from a standtstill should be effortless! Like you can stand there all day.

If it hurts you aren't doing something right!

Last edited:

Latest posts