• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AM Worlds invite question

Why is it an issue if people qualify from a single event?

Stupid question, but I want a clear answer just in case. With this year's Am World's points, I am likely already sitting at 2,500 points. When I receive my invite, will it be for Advanced or Master's? Next year will be the first year I will be eligible for Master's, but I would prefer to play Advanced. I know that points are not an issue in my case, but with limited space for invites, I would hate for the PDGA to naturally assume I would want to play in Masters and thus have a spot reserved for me in there.

Why is it an issue if people qualify from a single event?

The issue is that you can show up to 1 huge event, play like crap, get a lot of points anyway because the field is so big, and get and invite to worlds. It's not a big deal but it does seem logical that someone taking first in a field of 100 should get more points than someone that takes 100th place in a field of 200. Right now I believe both would get the same number of points.

from this year's invitation letter:

Registration Schedule and Information

Friday, April 17 – Registration opens for two weeks to International (Non-North American) Invitees
ONLY for the reserved International spots (approx. 8-10%) in the division(s) for which they were invited.

Friday, May 1 – Registration opens for one week to Canadian Invitees ONLY for reserved Canadian spots
(approx. 1-2%) and any leftover International spots in the division(s) for which they were invited.

Friday, May 8 – Registration opens for four weeks to all invitees only for the division(s) for which they
were invited. If a division fills then a waitlist will be started only for invitees of the division in the order they
are received. Note: During this period, spots are held in each division for the 2014 World Champions
to register -- during this period ONLY. If not registered by June 4th, those spots are released.

Friday, June 5 – Registration opens for two weeks to invitees to register for any other division(s) they
are eligible for if spots are available (example: players only invited for MM1 can now register for MA1.) Any
waitlists for filled divisions are continued with invited players in the order they are received.

Friday, June 19 – Open Registration for all Amateur PDGA members for any division(s) they are eligible
for. Waitlists for filled divisions are continued with any qualified amateur registrants.

It looks like you can register for Advanced if there are still spots available -- likelihood of that is vanishingly small.

The issue is that you can show up to 1 huge event, play like crap, get a lot of points anyway because the field is so big, and get and invite to worlds. It's not a big deal but it does seem logical that someone taking first in a field of 100 should get more points than someone that takes 100th place in a field of 200. Right now I believe both would get the same number of points.

Both people get invites...I don't hear about people struggling to get the invites. I played with a guy two weekends back, and he said he was there just to get the points for Madison worlds. If you have an eight of a brain you can figure out how to get 750 points.
The issue is not having age protected divisions at their own event so the AM1 field can be 400+. The legitimate complaints are waiting lists and not getting in.

I don't see where your gripe is based. If you want into am worlds, it's not hard to get in, if you know what's going on.

Stupid question, but I want a clear answer just in case. With this year's Am World's points, I am likely already sitting at 2,500 points. When I receive my invite, will it be for Advanced or Master's? Next year will be the first year I will be eligible for Master's, but I would prefer to play Advanced. I know that points are not an issue in my case, but with limited space for invites, I would hate for the PDGA to naturally assume I would want to play in Masters and thus have a spot reserved for me in there.

You will be invited to play both as you qualify for either division.

The only way you can be invited to MM1 and not MA1 is if you don't have enough points to qualify for MA1 (but do have enough for MM1). If you've got 750+ points, and you do, you're all set.