• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about age-protected divisions--women's advice sought.

Naenae

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm starting to play some sanctioned tournaments, and I'm looking at MN amateurs, which is being played on a course I know well, and isn't far from home. World Masters comes to Minnesota, and if I make some rather large breakthroughs in my game, I have a stretch goal of qualifying.

Regarding the MN Amateurs, so far there are 3 women registered in FA40+, and zero in FA55+, for which I qualify. Would I be better off going into the more populated division? I'm new and I don't have enough rounds for a rating yet, so I'm more interested in where I could pick up a few points if I played well. Not really fun to be rewarded for being best in a division of 1, but maybe it makes sense if I'm thinking about masters in the future?

I'm starting to play some sanctioned tournaments, and I'm looking at MN amateurs, which is being played on a course I know well, and isn't far from home. World Masters comes to Minnesota, and if I make some rather large breakthroughs in my game, I have a stretch goal of qualifying.

Regarding the MN Amateurs, so far there are 3 women registered in FA40+, and zero in FA55+, for which I qualify. Would I be better off going into the more populated division? I'm new and I don't have enough rounds for a rating yet, so I'm more interested in where I could pick up a few points if I played well. Not really fun to be rewarded for being best in a division of 1, but maybe it makes sense if I'm thinking about masters in the future?
You get points for every player you beat or tie. More points for higher tiers and higher skilled divisions. For MN Ams (an A-tier) you'll get at least 4 points for coming in last in FA40. More if you beat or tie anyone. You'll only get 3 points for entering FA55 by yourself.

So it's a minimum 1 point advantage to play with the younger folk. At this point my odds aren't great of me beating anybody, but I know this particular course well, so who knows?🤞

I have downloaded the points table from PDGA, but it doesn't make sense to me yet.

I guess the tournament I am looking at is B-tier, the MN Masters, not the MN Amateurs, June 8 at Kenwood Trails.

Last edited:
You have the option of playing MA3/MA4 [assuming your rating allows}, as well. Around here those divisions populate very well. Lots of potential for points. No matter what division you earn points in, they all go toward qualifying in your target [home] division. [FA55?]

Hunting for points can be a challenge for age and gender protected divisions. Usually the competition is stiffer in the younger masters division, but there are generally more players.

This is based on MI play, but I think it is fairly universal.

So it's a minimum 1 point advantage to play with the younger folk. At this point my odds aren't great of me beating anybody, but I know this particular course well, so who knows?🤞

I have downloaded the points table from PDGA, but it doesn't make sense to me yet.

I guess the tournament I am looking at is B-tier, the MN Masters, not the MN Amateurs, June 8 at Kenwood Trails.
So 2.25 or 3 points. The way registration stands now you'd probably be put on a card with FA40 anyway.

...and the likely outcome is going to be me coming in 4th of 4 in FA40+ anyway. I guess I'll just pick one and play.

If i were you I would register for 50 or 55 and then move to 40 if there is no field for 50 or 55. People not registering until there is someone else signed up for a given division is a thing sometimes.

If i were you I would register for 50 or 55 and then move to 40 if there is no field for 50 or 55. People not registering until there is someone else signed up for a given division is a thing sometimes.
I am presently 59 years old. When I first started playing tournaments, I would routinely play in my FA50 division, regardless of who was present or not. Somewhere along the line, I started feeling a bit guilty about getting a trophy for being the worst player in the field!! However, it's always nice to have a trophy.

Some tournament directors will put you in yet another division than what you registered for if there are no other contenders in the first division you chose. I've started to do this in advance myself 1-2 weeks before the tournament. Depending on who else is in those possible divisions, I may shift myself to FA4 or FA3 or FA40. And now, I can also be in FA60.

I've been playing in tournaments since 2020 and have come to know a number of people. I learn new technique with everybody. However, some people are more comfortable to play with on a card.

You should also know that if there are only a few females in the tournament (assuming this is a coed tournament), then several female divisions might be assigned to one or two cards (e.g. FA3 even though you registered for FA50). Your card also may have an age-protected Mixed division player or an MA4 player. When it is too many of them to cleanly be on their own cards. I have had both situations to happen several times.

It sounds though that you are most interested in the points accrued. Others know better than me about that and have advised.

Enjoy your tournament!

I would check the rules for the Worlds qualifying. In the NADGT if you win one tournament in a division you get an invite to Nationals. A buddy of mine won the Colorado State Championship in 70+ as the only one signed up and got an invite to NADGT Nationals in Austin Texas. Sometimes invites are win based and lacking a win you can qualify with points.