• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amateur and it shows; please help

TOB3RT

Par Member
Hello all! I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and I am mediocre at best when playing with friends. In the spirit of USDGC, Winthrop University Lakefront my best is a +2 for those of you who have played it to get an idea of my skill level. I am RHBH/RHFH.

Anywho, I seem to have a lot of problems. My drives are erratic at times lengthwise; sometimes they'll go about 300 and other times 240 and I am not sure why. My forehand is atrocious. The only disc I can really throw forehand is a Flick. All the others turn up and end up hitting the ground on the rim and rolling. Heck, my flick even does that.

In the crappy quality video below, you can sort of see some of my throws. I will have to get someone out there to record them with a better camera, because my iphone 5 is not cutting it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo0F13Ro3as&feature=youtu.be
For my general form for backhand and forehand, what advice can you give me?
Oh and please excuse the overhand throws at the end. I was trying to flip them to go to a roller :eek:

First thing first, like you said get a better camera and please, for the love of god, don't film vertical. Second, check out the Beato drill thread (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108094) and start going through the whole thing. Actually do the Beato drill and work from the hit backwards.

Also, you might want to drop that Daedalus for the time being until you can throw up to speed. Teebird is perfect for learning form and seeing distance results from proper form.

Good luck and keep us updated!

First major tip that will change your life...never swing your right hand out in front that much before you begin your reach back. Try to keep it at best to your side during your walk up. I probably just increased your drive by 30-50%. BOOM! lol...

@teej - I've heard of the Beato drill, actually I've even watched some videos on it, but never incorporated it. I will start to.
@murphy - ah i see. it makes so much more sense after watching the video.
:sick:
@disc - haha i'll try doing that later today. I've had people comment on that before and just blew them off.

Thanks all of you! I'll practice all of this and get a new follow up vid soon.

1. For BH keep the plane of the disc fairly parallel to the ground or your shoulders throughout the whole motion, like sliding the disc just over the top of a table.

2. Turn your whole body back away from the target, you have almost no shoulder turn. Let your body turn the arm back and forth like the disc weighs a ton like a sledgehammer. Align your feet and body almost perpendicular the target for your throwing stance. You are basically facing the target like an all arm beach frisbee toss in your vid. Start the throw like starting the lawn mower, get your weight/hips to initiate the pull and then use your arm to finish it and break the string.

For FH keep your elbow below your shoulder at the reachback, you have the dreaded inverted "W" (don't know why they don't call this the "M" position), but it puts a lot of extra torque on your elbow and shoulder and what likely caused Strasburg's torn UCL.

1. For BH keep the plane of the disc fairly parallel to the ground or your shoulders throughout the whole motion, like sliding the disc just over the top of a table.

2. Turn your whole body back away from the target, you have almost no shoulder turn. Let your body turn the arm back and forth like the disc weighs a ton like a sledgehammer. Align your feet and body almost perpendicular the target for your throwing stance. You are basically facing the target like an all arm beach frisbee toss in your vid. Start the throw like starting the lawn mower, get your weight/hips to initiate the pull and then use your arm to finish it and break the string.

For FH keep your elbow below your shoulder at the reachback, you have the dreaded inverted "W" (don't know why they don't call this the "M" position), but it puts a lot of extra torque on your elbow and shoulder and what likely caused Strasburg's torn UCL.
This is going to be harder than I expected. I started working on the beato drill yesterday, and when I thought I had progressed I tried throwing and it just went straight into the sky and smashed down. Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely add it to my regular practice routine.