• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need major help getting to 350ft consistently

JC Mejia

Good morning! This is my first time posting on here but I consume a lot of the information so I'd like to thank every each and one of you for keeping this space alive and fruitful to beginners and everyone alike. I was playing Riverside on my birthday and was left alone to play due to scheduling conflicts but this disc golf community seems to have very compassionate people; shoutout to Chuck and Alex Corbell from the Sumner area who asked if I wanted to join their practice round and now they're both really good disc golf buddies. Now, onto the subject at hand…
One piece of advice that has stuck to me is filming myself to learn at my own pace and by my own body's nuances vs generalized advice that fits to only one mold, if that makes sense. In the following video, I can already see what I need to work on but I want to see what the community sees that I might not be seeing. I started playing last October by my brother in laws who got me into the sport. They're MA1 skilled players, always getting top 5 spots in tournaments at North SeaTac, North Bend, Auburn and surrounding courses. I would like to catch up to them, not necessarily in distance, but in being able to throw above water carry, hitting certain landing zones, but most importantly, getting consistent 350ft accurate drives. That's an arbitrary number, of course. I am throwing 275+ft in the video below and all landing within a 80ft "gap" or space (from furthest left to furthest right disc). I can stay within 10 strokes behind them while playing forehand dominantly, which is the form I started with, but I'm starting to see the benefits of mastering a solid backhand. Roast me or tell me what I could be doing wrong!

1. Video behind tee will show your balance behind your heels instead of over toes.

2. You turn your rear foot too far backward and push off your heel, instead of the toes or instep.

3. You hit the peak of the backswing too early and start dragging/accelerating the disc forward too early before you plant front foot.

1. Video behind tee will show your balance behind your heels instead of over toes.

2. You turn your rear foot too far backward and push off your heel, instead of the toes or instep.

3. You hit the peak of the backswing too early and start dragging/accelerating the disc forward too early before you plant front foot.

Thanks for the input!
1. Funnily enough, my cue on some of the throws was to be on my toes and obviously I wasn't.
2. The whole rear foot too far backwards was leftover habit from another video by David Feldberg saying to walk backwards before a throw as a practice method. 🤔
3. You earned yourself another YouTube subscriber, btw. Another related video that showed up after yours was Spin Doctor's A.B.C. (Always Be Coiling). I always "take the meat from the bones", so to speak, so there's gotta be a way to implement the "coiling till the last minute" part and loading the bow in my form practice. I'll try uploading another video with those cues in mind.

I don't have a pool/cue stick at home. Would pulling a resistance band tied to a door or a pole work the same? I'll keep posting more updated form videos and adding some from behind POV as well. I just wanted to get the ball rolling. TIA

I don't have a pool/cue stick at home. Would pulling a resistance band tied to a door or a pole work the same?
These would be totally different motions. Bow & Arrow/Door Frame Drills are eccentrically stretching muscles, while resistance bands are concentrically contracting muscles.