• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amateur Tournament Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe we will use PDGA player ratings to form Divisions - at least for the Qualifiers.

Advanced - will be 900+ and Intermediate will be 899 and under. Advanced can not play down - but, Intermediate can play up if they wish.

If someone doesn't have a PDGA rating - they have to play in Advanced.

We will open registration at 36 Players per Division in the Qualifiers. Once Advanced hits 36 - a wait list opens. Should the Intermediate not reach 36 Players - we will allow additional entrants into the Advanced division to make a full field of 72 Players. We will adjust the # of Players that advance from each division to the Championship accordingly, if necessary . . .

Not quite sure how we handle the Championship. There may have to be some form of handicapping to even the field. Will seek guidance on this . . .

I really hope this player signs up to play - what a name:

Russell "Sausage Biscuit" Swann #69714

I believe we will use PDGA player ratings to form Divisions - at least for the Qualifiers.

Advanced - will be 900+ and Intermediate will be 899 and under. Advanced can not play down - but, Intermediate can play up if they wish.

If you choose to sanction, you can't set your own threshholds.

But you don't have to. Tournaments can limit divisions, and if you go with Advanced and Recreational, you'll get result you want. I.e., every player over 900 will have to play Advanced ; under 900 qualifies for Recreational, but can play Advanced if they choose.

If you don't sanction, you can of course do whatever you want. But you might want to avoid confusion by not using PDGA division names but your own division standards.

Whether that's wise or not is debatable. It's something of a winner-take-all event, over 2 weekends with almost 150 players in Advanced. If it draws the better Advanced players (940-970+), then the 900-930s will have virtually no chance, and may not feel it's worth their time and money. (If you fill, that won't matter)

And honestly, Chuck...one of my least favorite things in a tournament. In COVID times, this is an awful idea. In the best of times, you are dragging me off my lawn chair, after my discs are stowed, my boots off and my first cold one in hand.

We have started adopting an Ace Pool CTP. A designated CTP, fair to all levels of play, to use for the Ace Pool monies. If an ace is hit, regular rules apply and we will give out a nice disc to the winner of the Ace CTP. If no ace, the closest to the pin wins a pre designated amount of the Ace Pool. We generally pay out 100% of the Ace Pool, charity gigs withstanding. But occasionally might only pay out 80% for the Ace CTP, with 20% going to the course improvement fund...maybe not. Either way will be spelled out in the About section of the tournament and with the check box for registration.

I like this concept. We got rid of the Ace Pot at our last tournament since we did not want to do an end of round CTP during COVID. This may let us bring it back.

Why not? In addition to other Sponsors - we are going to reach out to Hooters to become a Sponsor. They are in all of our Cities.

You really should read the last "we're starting a tour" thread if for no other reason that entertainment, but you also don't have to do anything anyone here suggests...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118838&highlight=ADGT

Has page after page of gold like this:
JedV - Sorry. You are right. The glory was in Ziploc bags of cash, Hooters girls, and a web stream in ESPN.

How could that of failed???

Nice to meet you J-Dub [ like what I did there ]

Not trying to get rich with this. If I net $10k per Event [ 2 months of my life ] - I'll be happy. $0 of that will come from Player Entry Fees. I project to make my money off of Sponsorships, Vendor Commissions, Concessions, Adverting Fees, etc in the beginning.

Perhaps after we have an awesome initial Tournament Series, we can "earn" your support. Fair enough?

p.s. - my wife and all her Family are from the Washington Courthouse, Ohio area ;)

So really this about you making money? That's what I thought from the first post. Why would sponsors give money to you to make a profit? Normally when people sponsor a local event they do it because it goes to a charity, etc. Once you start getting to know disc golfers you will realize there is really little benefit from the point of view of the sponsors. If their sponsorship was going to a good cause instead of Tom Coleman's pocket, then you may be able to do something along these lines. But for self benefit...good luck with that.

10k is a lofty goal, but frankly Tom is 100% correct on that. TDs complain all the time that the PDGA makes it impossible for them to make a profit on running a tournament. This is completely wrong. If the TD raises $5000 in sponsorship, he's absolutely free to keep $4000 for himself, put $500 toward tournament supplies, and put $500 into the payout purse, as long as he's not breaking any promises. He told the sponsors they'd get a banner at HQ, some signs on the course, and a shout out at the player meeting. He told the players there would be $500 added to the purse. Done and done. The players don't have to know how much money the sponsor gave the TD, and the sponsor doesn't have to know what the TD is using their money for.

But if the sponsors find out he just kept their money, I expect they will not sponsor any disc golf events ever again. i sponsor just about every event i play in, I have had zero returns on those sponsorships, but the money supports the club, so i will keep doing it. However if i knew the money went in the Club president's pocket, i would never give them money again. See how that works? Do you think disc golfers and sponsors are just rubes laying there to be taken?

If you choose to sanction, you can't set your own threshholds.

But you don't have to. Tournaments can limit divisions, and if you go with Advanced and Recreational, you'll get result you want. I.e., every player over 900 will have to play Advanced ; under 900 qualifies for Recreational, but can play Advanced if they choose.

If you don't sanction, you can of course do whatever you want. But you might want to avoid confusion by not using PDGA division names but your own division standards.

Whether that's wise or not is debatable. It's something of a winner-take-all event, over 2 weekends with almost 150 players in Advanced. If it draws the better Advanced players (940-970+), then the 900-930s will have virtually no chance, and may not feel it's worth their time and money. (If you fill, that won't matter)

Thanks for the input.

I will know more next week after having some conversations with those at the PDGA.

I just want to keep the initial Series simple, thus the reasoning for keeping it Amateur only and just two Divisions.

I read that entire thread yesterday. I learned a few things "not" to do from almost 500 pages - lol . . .

And you still think Hooters girls are a good idea?

Promoting barely legal women in skimpy, tight outfits doesn't seem very Christian to me.

Originally Posted by TheOtherBill
Also, I suggest not having Hooters girls there to hand out prizes, etc.

Why not? In addition to other Sponsors - we are going to reach out to Hooters to become a Sponsor. They are in all of our Cities.

So really this about you making money? That's what I thought from the first post. Why would sponsors give money to you to make a profit? Normally when people sponsor a local event they do it because it goes to a charity, etc. Once you start getting to know disc golfers you will realize there is really little benefit from the point of view of the sponsors.

I've been very transparent that this is a business venture for me. I've had some ventures work and some not. But - the outlay for the Player is minimal. As long as I do what I say we will do - it will be a fun time for everyone. If all the Qualifiers sell out - then someone is walking away with a very cool Champion's prize.

Sponsorship is nothing more than a business / brand supporting an event and getting exposure for themselves. This will be accomplished. The cost for sponsoring our 5 event Tournament Series is very affordable and they will most def get bang for their buck . . .

But if the sponsors find out he just kept their money, I expect they will not sponsor any disc golf events ever again. i sponsor just about every event i play in, I have had zero returns on those sponsorships, but the money supports the club, so i will keep doing it. However if i knew the money went in the Club president's pocket, i would never give them money again. See how that works? Do you think disc golfers and sponsors are just rubes laying there to be taken?

Business is Business and must make a profit to survive.

When a business sponsors a Travel Ball Tournament they don't care what their money is used for so long as they receive whatever the Promoter told them they would for being a Sponsor.

The Players will be provided a fun, exciting and competitive tournament and the Sponsors will receive exposure for their business / brand. I will make a profit to reward myself for the hundreds of hours this will take to make happen.

And you still think Hooters girls are a good idea?

Promoting barely legal women in skimpy, tight outfits doesn't seem very Christian to me.

Originally Posted by TheOtherBill
Also, I suggest not having Hooters girls there to hand out prizes, etc.

Hooters is a national Brand that has very good food, drinks and service. As far as the girls, doesn't matter to me, I'm a happily married guy, but one has to admit that if they are at an event - they get attention - which is good for their brand.

I'll admit it's been a while since I've walked in a Hooter's front door, but the girls you see on the TV commercials aren't the same ones that work at the site. Seems like the ones who were at the other tournament were not their greatest ambassadors.

Hooters is a national Brand that has very good food, drinks and service. As far as the girls, doesn't matter to me, I'm a happily married guy, but one has to admit that if they are at an event - they get attention - which is good for their brand.

if i am playing a tourney with a huge 1st prize the last thing i want is Hooters girls and sponsors on the course distracting me.

Learn the game, play some events and then run this tourney. Your thoughts will change drastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts