• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Amazed by the Predator, any other Predator fans?

Stud Muffin

Banned
So I expected a overstable driver. Had lots of them before.

Never actually enjoyed throwing one before, though.

Normally, my overstable disc only came out when it had to. I look for a reason to throw the Predator. Why?

1 - The Feel of the disc - The ridge is high, and fits sharply into my finger on back hand throws, and is deep enough to hold in side arm throws. This feels like something you just want to rip.

2 - The Flight pattern - Most overstable discs have a huge backwards C on right handed backhand throws. Not what I experienced in the Predator, more of a L , I can take a straight, narrow path, shoot it up, and at the end watch it fade hard, so it works well in the woods and tight areas.

3 - The Feel for distance - I don't know why, but it is just so easy to look at a target, and get a feel for depth. I really can not explain 'why', but you just can put it close without a lot of experience with the disc.

4 The "X" factors. You throw this disc high, and the edge will dig in, making it great for chip hyzers. You throw it low, and it will skip so high it has potential to go into the basket. The odd thing about the skip is it doesn't skip out flat, but goes up on one side, which usually causes it to roll in a circle and stop, which makes for very predictable finishes.

I have never had a disc that it just seems in it's nature to seek out the basket. It is just naturally forgiving of throwing mistakes. Throw it too high? It will dig in, and not fade off too far after hitting the ground. Shots usually missed to the right generally also have too much power on them, and this power is transferred to the skip of the low power shot, bringing you back closer to your target than expected.

Sometimes it is scary, like it knows when to skip hard or dig in. :cool:

If you think it's good now, wait until it's all beat in a few years down the road. You'll use it for different shots but it'll be as trusty as ever.

I had a few preds in my bag but have since replaced them with XXXs.

I loved the predators for skips but was always disappointed when throwing them into the wind.

I just got one and I really like it.

I like how it requires a smooth release, I know it flutters with an uneven release, but I like it's glide when I throw it correctly.

I checked the width of the disc, and it is slightly wider .1 cm than the common width.

Currently carrying two. One is wearing in very nicely, perfect for forehand shots. The other is newer and is great for shots when I need a hard fade. Throw it flat and it will skip a mile at the end for you.

My favorite pred in the bag is an elite x named "black magic".
The fact that its black and used as a main fw driver tells you how great it is;)

I LOVE the predator! The winds came back into play last night at our local doubles league. I brought out the pred on a headwind shot and I cranked on it a little bit. It started out flying straight and for a second I thought it might flip and then the fade of the pred kicked in. Everybody on my card was in awe at the amount of fade it had. Fantastic, trusty pred will never leave my bag.:thmbup:

I had one, but I put it in the drink before I had a lot of time to work with it. Maybe one day Karl will find it...

Predators are ridiculously versatile overstable drivers, and I'm all about versatility

i threw a flx pred for the first time the other day and wow ... that thing is silly overstable. like almost unusable. i thought my 11x firechix were pigs ... this is the ultimate meathook.

Pred has been one of the few discs that has never lost its position in my bag. I carry two Z's, one is my oldest, and becoming nice and worn, this other is brand new. Preds don't get nearly as much love as they should. They have long distance potential than a firebird or XXX and have more than enough overstability to fight just about every type of wind you can imagine.

I bust my pred out in calm situations when I need that L path you are talking about. Yet into a very stiff headwind, it takes over my teebirds almost perfectly. I throw a first run ESP in 172g and it's breaking into a longer and longer disc. I picked up an FLX because I heard they are more overstable, and at least this one is totally true; much more of the "C" path. Insanely different.

I carry two Z Pred's in my bag everytime I play. One that's beat in to more of a 'Champ Teebird flight' and another that's wickedly over-stable. Most of the local Pro have at least one in their bag. :thmbup:

I've thrown two Z preds, lost both of them, but I loved them. Now I'm using a champ FB because it was cheap and an X-out, but it just isn't the same. It has no glide, and I can only get it out to about 250 before it starts fading. I can get the pred out to like 320 before the fade starts. I could get huge flex shots with the pred almost to 400, but the FB I can barley get over 300 even on a flex. I guess I'll keep throwing spikes in the parking lot with it for awhile.

The X Pred is my main driver, and easily the most thrown mold I carry. It feels great in my hand and is beyond reliable. I have a stack of about 25 X Preds and probably half that many Z and Esps. And even a few Pro and Z Tsunamis just in case I run out of X Preds.

Latest posts