• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....but I just looked at our upcoming local tournament, the Earlewood Classic, and this is what I can tease out of the details.

100 players, 29 pros, 71 ams -- so the Am side is close to what you're running

$65 Am entry fees -- $4,615 total.

$1,250 added to the payout, on top of entries -- $5,865

Players packs will be a tee shirt and premium disc. I can't tell whether that comes out of the prize payouts, or not. If it's on top of the payout, that's another $25-30 per player, or about $1,800.

If they run 5 events like that, that's about $29,000 - $38,000 in amateur prizes.

Now, in their case, the prizes for a single tournament will be spread out among 36 players, or for 5 tournaments, spread out among 180 players instead of concentrated to 1-12 of them.

So nobody walks off with a multi-thousand-dollar prize. But as a group, they're getting the same thing that you're offering.

That's how tournaments generally work, on the amateur side, except for the $1,250 added which is a bit unusual.

You're proposing to do so by having really low payouts for the qualifiers, to boost the payout in the finals. But added together, it comes to the same thing.

No payouts in the Qualifiers. 90% of all Player Entry Fees paid out in the Championship.

I understand that. But all together, it's no better payout than any other 5 tournaments. It's just the same thing, distributed to fewer people.

I understand that. But all together, it's no better payout than any other 5 tournaments. It's just the same thing, distributed to fewer people.

I've searched everywhere and can't find an amateur Tournament that pays out $1000 in Prizes to 1st Place in that Tournament.

True, we will pay out to fewer Players. But - I imagine an Advanced Player will be thrilled to win over $4000+ in Prizes by competing in a minimum of Two Tournaments consisting of only 5 Rounds in 3 days?

I've searched everywhere and can't find an amateur Tournament that pays out $1000 in Prizes to 1st Place in that Tournament.

True, we will pay out to fewer Players. But - I imagine an Advanced Player will be thrilled to win over $4000+ in Prizes by competing in a minimum of Two Tournaments consisting of only 5 Rounds in 3 days?

You're. Missing. The. Point.

The prize package for the field, overall, isn't better than other events.

Your prize for the top player may be better, but that's only because you're paying out fewer people -- a lot fewer. A lot more people get zero, and somebody gets a lot.

That may appeal to some players. Maybe enough to make it go.

But the overall prize package isn't any more.

If I give $100 each to 100 people in my neighborhood, and you give $10,000 to your neighbor, you haven't given any more than I have.

discgolftom be all:

giphy.gif

If I give $100 each to 100 people in my neighborhood, and you give $10,000 to your neighbor, you haven't given any more than I have.

But, oh that Neighbor is going to be so happy. The others will hopefully want to be like their Neighbor and come compete for their own $10,000 . . .

I get your point though.

Our large Prize Packages will hopefully be what attracts Players to our Tournaments. If not - I'm sure the Players will speak with their Entries or lack thereof . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts